Bills Should Go After Joe Thomas

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

The Bills want to be a power run team. Which many people see as a mistake because the NFL is a passing league. I think as defenses shift more and more towards the nickle and emphasizing more on the cornerback position rather than the linebackers, there is a window for great running/defensive teams to take advantage and make a little noise.

If the Bills are going to be a run first team, I want them to be able to run the ball at will like the Chiefs teams under Vermeil. Willie Roaf, Will Shields, John Tait, etc. They were able to run the ball at will because their offensive line was so good. They made a star out of Larry Johnson.

While the Bills were able to run the ball very well last year, they were not able to run the ball at will and in all situations. Right now we have the left side of the line locked down and we have been trying to land Slauson, but I would rather just go get Joe Thomas and put him at RT.

If we were to get Thomas we would have a Pro-Bowl caliber player at 4 of 5 positions on the offensive line. Thomas is a future Hall of Famer and having him on the right side would make it a hell of a lot easier on Miller or whoever else might be at right guard. He would probably be the best RT in the NFL. You would have one of the best lines in the NFL and I think a team that could challenge for more than a playoff spot this year.

I know people will have reservations. How will we fit him under the cap? The first thing I would do is cut Jerome Felton. I think we got him as he started to decline. He missed a lot of big blocks last year. I don't see him beating out Little Gronk who I feel Roman will find more uses for. I would also let Graham go to make this happen. He is on the decline and although it would be nice to have him in the secondary, I think having a dominate offensive line and adding one of the best lineman in the league will be more beneficial for this team going forward.

Thomas has a cap hit of $9.5 million in 2016 and $10 million in 17'-18'. I know that is a lot but considering what tackles are getting now, it is a bargain for him. I also understand that is a lot to give a right tackle, but he is a special player and for what we are trying to do on offense, I think he could help us get to the next level.

Another benefit is when his contract ends you may be able to resign him. Even though he will be 34 he will probably be still good enough to move into LG for Incognito and play at a high level or even still be good enough to play at a high level at RT.

It would probably take a second round pick, maybe a little more. I know that is a high price but for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 16 years I would be willing to do it. Go into the season with a dominant offensive line and the ability to impose your will in the run game and have a true offensive identity.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pipe dreams are best expressed in long posts on TSW.

Whaley has been saying what the Bills' priorities are since the end of the 2015 season. I guess not everyone has been listening and watching what they have actually been doing.

Joe Thomas cap hit in 2016 - $9.5 million. Current Bills cap space having not yet even signed our draft picks - $6.3 million. Just another video game pipe dream without any real thought behind it.

Joe Thomas cap hit in 2016 - $9.5 million. Current Bills cap space having not yet even signed our draft picks - $6.3 million. Just another video game pipe dream without any real thought behind it.

FYI:

@mikerodak

The Bills have gained about $7.5M in 2016 cap room by extending Cordy Glenn. They now have $14.207M in 2016 cap room.

The Browns TURNED DOWN the Broncos' 1st round pick for Thomas at the trade deadline last year. I know, Thomas is another year older, and it's a different front office, now, so I mention this not as much as a "they would never part with him", but more as a "what a colossal mistake".

The Browns TURNED DOWN the Broncos' 1st round pick for Thomas at the trade deadline last year. I know, Thomas is another year older, and it's a different front office, now, so I mention this not as much as a "they would never part with him", but more as a "what a colossal mistake".

Just another reason why this is a video game pipe dream.

Whaley has been saying what the Bills' priorities are since the end of the 2015 season. I guess not everyone has been listening and watching what they have actually been doing.

Oh, no they listen and watch. They just don't care what was said. Want what they want all else be damned.

The Bills want to be a power run team. Which many people see as a mistake because the NFL is a passing league. I think as defenses shift more and more towards the nickle and emphasizing more on the cornerback position rather than the linebackers, there is a window for great running/defensive teams to take advantage and make a little noise.

If the Bills are going to be a run first team, I want them to be able to run the ball at will like the Chiefs teams under Vermeil. Willie Roaf, Will Shields, John Tait, etc. They were able to run the ball at will because their offensive line was so good. They made a star out of Larry Johnson.

While the Bills were able to run the ball very well last year, they were not able to run the ball at will and in all situations. Right now we have the left side of the line locked down and we have been trying to land Slauson, but I would rather just go get Joe Thomas and put him at RT.

If we were to get Thomas we would have a Pro-Bowl caliber player at 4 of 5 positions on the offensive line. Thomas is a future Hall of Famer and having him on the right side would make it a hell of a lot easier on Miller or whoever else might be at right guard. He would probably be the best RT in the NFL. You would have one of the best lines in the NFL and I think a team that could challenge for more than a playoff spot this year.

I know people will have reservations. How will we fit him under the cap? The first thing I would do is cut Jerome Felton. I think we got him as he started to decline. He missed a lot of big blocks last year. I don't see him beating out Little Gronk who I feel Roman will find more uses for. I would also let Graham go to make this happen. He is on the decline and although it would be nice to have him in the secondary, I think having a dominate offensive line and adding one of the best lineman in the league will be more beneficial for this team going forward.

Thomas has a cap hit of $9.5 million in 2016 and $10 million in 17'-18'. I know that is a lot but considering what tackles are getting now, it is a bargain for him. I also understand that is a lot to give a right tackle, but he is a special player and for what we are trying to do on offense, I think he could help us get to the next level.

Another benefit is when his contract ends you may be able to resign him. Even though he will be 34 he will probably be still good enough to move into LG for Incognito and play at a high level or even still be good enough to play at a high level at RT.

It would probably take a second round pick, maybe a little more. I know that is a high price but for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 16 years I would be willing to do it. Go into the season with a dominant offensive line and the ability to impose your will in the run game and have a true offensive identity.

I agree with the premise. Having a RT that good would allow Roman to just pound the snockers out of teams all day long !

But when you start looking at the details it becomes more difficult to accomplish. Are best bet for now is to hope Henderson gets healthy and coached up. and no more injuries occur.

keep in mind there is still a chance some players become available when cut downs occur that might be better than Mills.

Honestly though i think Bills are only going to add depth on the line this year.

But I too would love to upgrade RT to the level of Joe Thomas!!

And what about Gilmore? This is one of endless threads about "what if" we get Aaron Rodgers, Ben Rothlesberger, bring Calvin Johnson out of retirement, and so on.

None of these mean a thing. They are all fluff, and there is zero chance we go after or get Joe Thomas, nor is it a good idea at his age.

We have a decent team, need young talent of we pick up anyone, and will build through the draft. It's more important we sign studs to their second contract, vs. letting them walk out the door like Gilmore.

Lastly, not slamming the OP, just saying let's focus on the boring work through the draft, get role players, and not worry about guys past their prime as that is how you get in cap hell.

I'd like to add him but wouldn't want to give up a second to do it. We will just have to draft one next year (of course I thought that this yr, maybe somebody steps up but I doubt it)

It'd take me all night to point out everything wrong with this post so I'll just hit some high points:

- Joe Thomas is the best LT in the NFL. He's a wonderful technician, which is great for a LT. But you want to put him at RT and run a power game behind him. That would not work well.

- The Browns won't trade him unless they get a big premium. Think a first round pick plus another pick. The Bills aren't in a place they can - or should want to - do that.

- The Bills don't have the cap space for him and he wants his money.

I'm just going to call it there.

I agree with your concept but I don't think your specifics would work. As long as we have Rex then expect our offense to be run oriented. I not only would like to see the right side of the OL be upgraded and solidified but I also think that the Bills should be concerned with our whole OL. Cordy is the only one, barring injury, that I feel will be solid for years to come. Is there a replacement/back up to Incognito? I don't think so and him and Wood are no spring chickens. I would like to see next year's draft heavily geared towards the OL. I do believe that we'll be able to add some quality this year still with some teams expected to be cutting players in the near future, or at least I hope so. In next year's draft I would to see the Bills dedicating at least 2 picks for the OL, 2-3 picks for the front 7 of the defense and 2 picks for the secondary.

Btw, a shout out to you 3rd and 12 for being a nice guy and responding to this guy's post in a cordial and polite way. This bashing and ridiculing of people who post their thoughts and opinions is getting to be way too much. There's no problem with disagreeing with someone but the way some of you treat fellow Bills' fans is sickening.

Pass, you don't give up a primo pick for a RT that's older and going to cost a lot on your cap. The Bills have to resign Gilmore and possibly give a big deal to Taylor. I don't think they can afford both if they add another big cap number. Now that's not saying RT isn't a big need on the roster but I would rather roll with what's on the roster right now if it means that they can have a good chance at retaining Gilmore and TT as well as keep their draft choices.