2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

Last year the Cowboys took a risk taking an injured ND linbebacker, Jaylin Smith. in the second round and 34th overall. It was a calculated risk taken on one of the top five ranked players in the draft. Many team physicians would not clear him. The CoOnewboys took a gamble. I'm rooting for this tremendous prospect to get back to form.

The Cowboys have a more developed roster than the Bills so they can afford to take more risks. Not every gamble is going to work out. But if you are judicious and do you due diligence the bet you make hits the jackpot.

One criticism I have of Doug Whaley is that at times he seems to gratuitously give up picks. It is those lower picks that can be used for chips on injured talents.

It was more than a calculated risk. The guy was a cripple. Second round???

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Total hypothetical but would you take Foster in the 2nd knowing this? Some guys fall every year. I'm not saying that he will make it all of the way there but if he did?

I know people are sick of drafting people with injury flags, but tbh this rotator cuff thing doesn't really move him on my board. As you adequately put, a team should draft based on a projected career, not part of one year.

Don't see this happening, but I let this one come to me.

10: R1P10
S JAMAL ADAMS
LSU
44: R2P12
LB JARRAD DAVIS
FLORIDA
75: R3P11
WR CHRIS GODWIN
PENN STATE
156: R5P12
TE BUCKY HODGES
VIRGINIA TECH
171: R5P27
CB MARQUEZ WHITE
FLORIDA STATE
195: R6P11
OT STORM NORTON
TOLEDO

Those first three would be terrific. I'm asst. GMing in the /r/nfl_draft official mock later this week - Davis and Godwin are my two favorite targets in the 2nd.

Don't see this happening, but I let this one come to me.

S JAMAL ADAMS

LSU

LB JARRAD DAVIS

FLORIDA

WR CHRIS GODWIN

PENN STATE

TE BUCKY HODGES

VIRGINIA TECH

CB MARQUEZ WHITE

FLORIDA STATE

OT STORM NORTON

TOLEDO

That's funny, I had a similar mock.

S JAMAL ADAMS

LSU

CB TRE'DAVIOUS WHITE

LSU

WR ZAY JONES

EAST CAROLINA

TE BUCKY HODGES

VIRGINIA TECH

QB JEROD EVANS

VIRGINIA TECH

OT STORM NORTON

TOLEDO

It was more than a calculated risk. The guy was a cripple. Second round???

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18414405/injured-dallas-cowboys-lb-jaylon-smith-optimistic-2017

There are no guarantees but there is a good chance that he will be back for this season. Will he be the caliber of player that his original top five ranking would indicate? Probably not. But if he does return to the field he should be a good player. The Cowboys were able to take such a risk on an injured player compared to the Bills because they had a fuller roster to begin with.

A while back the Saints signed Brees, a free agent, who had a serious shoulder issue. The Dolphins were the team he wanted to sign with but their doctors would't give a medical clearance for him. The rest is history for this first ballot HOFer. Sometimes calculated risks don't work out and sometimes you hit the lottery.

Might want to get acquainted with one of the best ZBS running backs in the class, just in case.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/joe-williams/

Yep. My evaluations of running backs did not go too deep. I will just trust your take on whoever we draft with our extra pick Blokes. Although didn't you like JWill? The slowest feet on a man not known as Boobie.

Yep. My evaluations of running backs did not go too deep. I will just trust your take on whoever we draft with our extra pick Blokes. Although didn't you like JWill? The slowest feet on a man not known as Boobie.

I swear, I will slap you :D

I graded him pre-injury and his feet were plenty quick. Not sure if he suffered a setback but I thought he looked okay in preseason. Not giving up on him yet but always good to add one cheap every year.

That is an acceptable alternate. Williams is the better athlete but he's not "clean" off-field.

Would also accept Elijah McGuire as well.

I know he's small, but how about DeAngelo Henderson? He's got a similar running style to Gilly--decisive, quick, tough.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.