2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

I agree with all of this and I really enjoy your scouting. You've been a real asset to this community. Where do you think that he gets drafted? Teams tend to overdraft "weapons" but his unique skill set is hard to wrap your head around. I think that he's a 1st rounder but there are some pure RBs (Fournette & Cook) that go before him.

I really do appreciate the kind words. Having somewhere to bounce ideas around year-round with intelligent people is so much fun for me.

Looking at recent history with these receiving backs -

Gio Bernard; LaMichael James; Shane Vereen - 2nd round

Duke Johnson; David Johnson; Jet McKinnon - 3rd round

Some time on Day 2 seems like the sweet spot for his skill set. I think he's at least on par with Duke and I had a 2nd round grade on him. Hard for me to take him in the 1st but I won't fault anyone for falling in love with him.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually have an entire week dedicated to Alabama's defense--too many kids to get a feel for, and the way Saban structures that D, it takes several views to get somewhat comfortable with who made the plays and why.

When you are done, please send me a report :).

The WHY is sometimes hard for me to determine.

Saban started as a defensive backs coach. He relies a ton on these guys. Imo, the safeties tend to be more into coverage than bruising run support. Again, Minkah at corner is great, and he is big. Not sure where he will play in the NFL, he may be a safety at that level, and a great one. Do however, Saban doesn't want any team to run on the Tide, ever. In that sense he is old school.

Anderson goes unnoticed; I think you will be surprised at what he can do on the pass rush. Imo Foster, Williams and Allen are absolute stars.

Hey man, I look forward to your analysis.

I really do appreciate the kind words. Having somewhere to bounce ideas around year-round with intelligent people is so much fun for me.

Looking at recent history with these receiving backs -

Gio Bernard; LaMichael James; Shane Vereen - 2nd round

Duke Johnson; David Johnson; Jet McKinnon - 3rd round

Some time on Day 2 seems like the sweet spot for his skill set. I think he's at least on par with Duke and I had a 2nd round grade on him. Hard for me to take him in the 1st but I won't fault anyone for falling in love with him.

He feels like the kind of guy that a team with a talented roster takes a shot on in the late 1st. Seattle has Tyler Lockett but that is the kind of roster that I see him on. New England maybe? An up and coming Oakland team? Follow his dad to Denver? Those teams could all use his explosive playmaking ability and have the core of their rosters together.

He feels like the kind of guy that a team with a talented roster takes a shot on in the late 1st. Seattle has Tyler Lockett but that is the kind of roster that I see him on. New England maybe? An up and coming Oakland team? Follow his dad to Denver? Those teams could all use his explosive playmaking ability and have the core of their rosters together.

There's one outside bet that's tempting me (honestly might put £5 on it now). Detroit.

They're pass heavy and I think they want Abdullah to be their RB for the next few years (and would probably prefer him to be off KR duties). Theo Riddick got 80 catches last year and he's a UFA after this season. Their GM is Bob Quinn, a former Pats front office guy. He's been educated in an empire that lets certain role players go when their price escalates. A decent receiving RB is getting $4-5m on the open market and a mid 1st pick would be about $3m/year.

That's my wildcard and I kinda like it.

There's one outside bet that's tempting me (honestly might put £5 on it now). Detroit.

They're pass heavy and I think they want Abdullah to be their RB for the next few years (and would probably prefer him to be off KR duties). Theo Riddick got 80 catches last year and he's a UFA after this season. Their GM is Bob Quinn, a former Pats front office guy. He's been educated in an empire that lets certain role players go when their price escalates. A decent receiving RB is getting $4-5m on the open market and a mid 1st pick would be about $3m/year.

That's my wildcard and I kinda like it.

That's a really interesting thought. He certainly feels like a scheme fit. They could use playmaking as well.

I love Reuben Foster...I said all spring that I think he'll be a better pro than Ragland.

we can always draft him too since Rags will be out the whole season and who knows how good he will be regardless of injury.

Spent a bit of time checking out some of the RB class. Today, I've got to Christian McCaffrey.

He can contribute as a runner, receiver, on pass protection assignments, KR and PR. I don't want him as a workhorse back though. Struggling with how much value to assign to a guy that's, for all intents and purposes, a manufactured touch player. I think he can have the same kind of impact David Johnson had in Arizona last year.

One big thing I'll be watching; will he get the Derrick Henry "too much tread off the tires" treatment? Henry in 2015 had 406 touches, McCaffrey had 434. I'd anticipate Stanford using him heavily this year too.

McCaffrey can be a work horse same size as McCoy

I actually have an entire week dedicated to Alabama's defense--too many kids to get a feel for, and the way Saban structures that D, it takes several views to get somewhat comfortable with who made the plays and why.

I'm looking at McCaffrey as a Danny Woodhead/Shane Vereen type--receiving back that can take carries in the red zone and be a weapon on returns.

What is wrong with you guys,

McCaffrey = Marshall Faulk

Bills

Just looking through the Watch List, few small school guys that are definitely worthy.

RB Tarik Cohen - North Carolina A&T

LB Nick DeLuca - NDSU

WR Cooper Kupp - Eastern Washington

TE Phazahn Odom - Fordham (6'8", 245)

LB Connor Harris - Lindenwood (D2)

Mason Schreck of Buffalo made the list too.

I REALLY hate to say this.....but I think where we need to be looking with our first is a DL that gives us what Marcel does

I just hate it

Well, we definitely have Dareus, Williams, Washington & Worthy (provided he makes the 53) under contract next year. Kyle could be a cap casualty depending on this year. We could be one stupid mistake from Marcell away from looking down the barrel of a gun.

Wouldn't say in the 1st but somewhere on Day 2, it might be prudent to add to the depth. On paper, there's a lot of decent options.

we can always draft him too since Rags will be out the whole season and who knows how good he will be regardless of injury.

McCaffrey can be a work horse same size as McCoy

What is wrong with you guys,

McCaffrey = Marshall Faulk

Wasn't CJ Spiller being compared to Faulk when he came out of draft?

I'm currently watching some corners for Cover1. You know, emergency measures if Gilmore buggers off.

Spoiler alert - Cordrea Tankersley is a bit good.

Tankersley is restupidous. He reminds me a lot of Gilmore actually--he still needs to get his awareness up and not get his hips turned the wrong way occasionally, but it's all there.

Tankersley is restupidous. He reminds me a lot of Gilmore actually--he still needs to get his awareness up and not get his hips turned the wrong way occasionally, but it's all there.

There's nagging issues there for me. When he has zero safety help, he HAS to dictate an outside release. Can be a little grabby at the catch point too.

He's quick, he's sticky, long enough, can locate and has ball skills. His coaches have spoke about his play coming along as his confidence does. Senior year, everything riding on it, being "the man" now that Mac has left. It could be spectacular.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.