RD 4, Pick 139: QB Cardale Jones, Ohio State

Another fail? It's a 4th round pick.

It was a compensatory 4th round pick that in essence is a 5th round selection on a prospect who is well worth taking a shot on given the enormous tools to work with. Some people are acting as if the Bills drafted him in the 2nd like the Jets did with Hackenberg.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will be a fan favorite for sure. Hilarious personality and a huge heart. He spends a ton of time at the children's hospital here.

Also, if you want to run into him, my money is on finding him at the closest Chipotle to the Ralph. Either there or the mall.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Five Day 3 players who could have a big impact
The first and second round draw the hype, but the third day is where GMs earn their money. Conor Orr predicts five players drafted on Saturday who could make an impact in the league.

Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State (Bills): Jones will (probably) not start a game for Buffalo this year barring a rash of injuries but the Bills selecting him at the bottom of Saturday's fourth round will carry some far-reaching consequences if he's competitive in camp. We're guessing the Bills love his athleticism, and the "blank canvas" effect is always attractive to general managers. But there is some book keeping to watch for as well. The Bills have less than a week to pick up EJ Manuel's fifth-year option, and if they decide not to, he is free and clear after the 2016 season. Tyrod Taylor is also hoping for a contract extension that has yet to be discussed. While Buffalo is dreaming big about their quarterback of the future, Jones can at least help them make some very important decisions in the interim.

Wasted pick. A guy who only started a handful of games in college. At this point why even bother taking a QB. Had to be a better use for a 4th round pick.

He was 11-0 as the starter.... Not saying that he will be a stud NFL talent, but I think it's a little early to say he was a wasted pick.... Also, it's too early to anoint him as Taylor's back up or even successor.... The kid has attributes that could lead to success in the NFL, and in the 4th round, that's what you are looking for....

He will be a fan favorite for sure. Hilarious personality and a huge heart. He spends a ton of time at the children's hospital here.

Also, if you want to run into him, my money is on finding him at the closest Chipotle to the Ralph. Either there or the mall.

He has a GREAT personality!! People are going to love him (especially if he can play).

He was 11-0 as the starter.... Not saying that he will be a stud NFL talent, but I think it's a little early to say he was a wasted pick.... Also, it's too early to anoint him as Taylor's back up or even successor.... The kid has attributes that could lead to success in the NFL, and in the 4th round, that's what you are looking for....

I think that he will either be great or out of the league in a few years. Absolutely the type of guy that you take a shot on. The tools are all there.

I am truly amazed at any negative feedback concerning this pick. The kid is raw but is by all accounts a great guy, hasn't gotten into trouble, and has off-the-charts measurables in addition to having performed well at the highest level in college football. He's a project, but if he translates those skills to the NFL level he will be the steal of the draft.

If Jones finds himself a favorite WR it's OVER. -Finding a favorite target is something EJ, Kaepernick, and Tyrod never did..

Brady has Gronk.... Rogers has Nelson... Wilson has Baldwin... Flacco had nobody last season, but used to have Boldin....

QB to wideout chemistry is one of the most impressive things on a football field... You gotta have it if you want to win.

Taylor to Watkins 2015:

12 games, 56 passes for 999 yards and 9 touchdowns. What were you saying about chemistry?

Now we need a deep threat in the 5th. Listenbee?

Nah, I have a feeling he'll be available in the 6th.

So, it is decided; Cardale Jones is a bust on the Buffalo Barbarian scale of QB picking?

I hate to say it, but every time I see Barbarian stumping for a player my first and only thought is, "please, Bills, do the opposite."

I don;t think he will pan out, but if the Bills protect him and put him in the right situations, they could get a draft pick out of another team. Great tools, but not a great mind. Reminds me of Rob Johnson

I don;t think he will pan out, but if the Bills protect him and put him in the right situations, they could get a draft pick out of another team. Great tools, but not a great mind. Reminds me of Rob Johnson

Upon what do you base this comment?

Just wrong. Not a well-researched take. He's a very smart dude.

This could be very well true. But the sad fact is Jones will be in a much better situation to succeed than EJ. He won't have Syracuse's OC as both his OC and QB coach. He won't have the weight of being a 1st round pick and the expectations that come with it. He won't be rushed onto the field and can learn from 2 veteran Qbs.

Jones might not make it but I think it's a great pick because of the upside and he can be developed for a year or 2. Most of these Qbs won't amount to anything but you want to go with upside this late in the draft.

IMO, for a lot of Qbs, it's better to be drafted out of the 1st round. I think this is a perfect situation for Jones. Whether he develops, it's on him.

Very good post, especially in regard to EJM.

Best wishes to C Jones

Yup. In hindsight, being a 1st round pick was the worst think that happened to EJ (not financially of course). I believe Taylor and Jones are in much better position to succeed because they aren't forced to play right away.

and have questionable coaching development either.

Edited by 3rdand12

Cant find the whole thing, but this is a pretty good clip and it continues into the next part.

nice link D

Agree 100% this will be another Whaley fail. If Tyrod doesn't pan out this year we will be right back where we were foe the last 16 years, no QB, no prospects, no playoffs, and no hope.

why wait?

get ahead of the curve and tank your emotions asap.

jk