2016 NFL Draft Grades

@walterfootball

2016 NFL Draft Grades for every single pick - http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades.php

Buffalo Bills: Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson A Grade
Some teams told us that they had Shaq Lawson in the second round early on during the draft process. His shoulder was the concern, but once that medically checked out, it became apparent that he could be chosen as high as No. 11 to Chicago. With that in mind, the Bills are getting a steal. Lawson is an athletic freak, and he should fit in extremely well into Rex Ryan's defense. Ryan had to find an edge rusher to replace the lethargic Mario Williams, and Lawson figures to be an instant upgrade. The one concern is Lawson's attitude, but he's well worth the risk at No. 19 overall.
Buffalo Bills: Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama A Grade
I had the Bills picking Reggie Ragland in the first round of my 2016 NFL Mock Draft, and had Shaq Lawson not dropped to them, it sounds like they may have taken him as high as No. 19. Thus, this is an incredible value for a very underrated player who can play all three downs. The Bills had to move up for Ragland, but rightfully so, since there were so many teams that could've taken him prior to No. 49.
Buffalo Bills: Adolphus Washington, DT, Ohio State C+ Grade
Adolphus Washington was one of the worst testers at the NFL Combine. His stock sunk as a result, as teams weren't interested in one of the worst athletes in the entire draft class. Washington's size is a plus, but that's all he has. Making matters worse, there are some character concerns with him, albeit minor ones. The Bills probably could've obtained Washington a round later.
Buffalo Bills: Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State A Grade
Cardale Jones made a huge mistake by not declaring for the draft last year. He may have emerged at the end of the first round. Teams told us that they were highly intrigued with Jones' physical talents, and that if he put together a dynamic 2015 campaign, he would've been a top-10 pick. Of course, that didn't happen. Jones struggled and was exposed. Still, he has immense upside and probably should've been taken two rounds earlier. He's a nice backup and possible future starter for Buffalo.
Buffalo Bills: Jonathan Williams, RB, Arkansas A- Grade
Another quality selection on a running back who dropped. This isn't a surprise, as the Bills needed a runner with LeSean McCoy's legal issues and an expiring contract after this season. Plus, with the value available here, why not? Williams missed all of 2015 with a foot injury. Had he played, he probably would've been chosen a couple of rounds earlier.
Buffalo Bills: Kolby Listenbee, WR, TCU B+ Grade
It's surprising that the Bills didn't take a receiver before this, given their glaring need across from Sammy Watkins. I don't know if Kolby Listenbee will ever emerge as a starter, but his speed will give him a shot. He can provide some game-breaking ability, but needs to learn how to play the receiver position.
Buffalo Bills: Kevon Seymour, CB, USC B Grade
USC fans might be wondering if I plan on giving the Bills a Millen grade for this pick, given that Kevon Seymour was so bad that he was benched as a senior. However, Seymour, who played well beforehand, is a tall (6-0) cornerback with plus athleticism. He has untapped potential, and perhaps Rex Ryan will be able to get the most out of him.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are Pricso's grade on each Bills pick, Lawson B-, Ragland B, Washington B-, Jones B, Williams B-, Listenbee B and Seymour C-. He then gives an overall game of C? Is he giving greater weight to the last pick, which is really 7th rounder?

Prick sore, I mean Prisco, had us at 4-12 last year in his predictions. There to for this is great news that he hates it!

BUF.pngBuffalo Bills

Best pick: Fifth-round running back Jonathan Williams from Arkansas has second-round talent. But he missed last season with a foot injury. He has skills.

Questionable move: I know they needed pass-rush help, but I am not a big fan of first-round pick Shaq Lawson. There is a tendency to over-draft pass rushers, and this could be a case of that.

Third-day gem: Fifth-round receiver Kolby Listenbee is a speed burner who can amp up the passing game. He was a 100-meter runner at TCU, which tells you he can fly. He's raw, but they have to love that ability to get down the field.

Analysis: If you love Lawson and second-round linebacker Reggie Ragland, this is a good draft. If you don't, and I don't, it's just OK. That's why I rate this as an average draft.

Grade: C

Here are Pricso's grade on each Bills pick, Lawson B-, Ragland B, Washington B-, Jones B, Williams B-, Listenbee B and Seymour C-. He then gives an overall game of C? Is he giving greater weight to the last pick, which is really 7th rounder?

Prisco's the worst. He hates the Bills.

I really don't get how every report I read about Washington is "he has off the field issues" when from all I can see is he tried to pay for sex and was carrying a gun that he purchased and was registered?

Are these the type of things that really make someone have character concerns/off field issues??? I mean hell, if that's the case there are plenty of players that would never have been drafted based on what we've seen.

Who the hell is Pete Prisco anyway??

Well known Rex Ryan and Bills' hater who works for CBS Sports. You sound like Bill Tobin asking the same question about Mel Kiper.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

@Rotoworld_FB

Grade: A

Buffalo Bills

1 (19). Clemson DE Shaq Lawson
2 (41). Alabama ILB Reggie Ragland
3 (80). Ohio State DT Adolphus Washington
4 (139). Ohio State QB Cardale Jones
5 (156). Arkansas RB Jonathan Williams
6 (192). TCU WR Kolby Listenbee
6 (218). USC CB Kevon Seymour

Overview: GM Doug Whaley started with one of the best picks of round one, landing ultra-productive and ultra-athletic Lawson to book end Jerry Hughes on a downright terrifying defensive line. Buffalo moved up for Ragland, sending Chicago a fourth-round pick (117) and a 2017 fourth-rounder in exchange for an eight-slot climb. A poor athlete for a supposed interior pass rusher, Washington is low-ceiling depth. Jones does offer upside, but he'll have to be coached up from scratch. A light-footed power back, Williams was good value in round five but is redundant in Buffalo behind LeSean McCoy, Karlos Williams, and Mike Gillislee. Listenbee is a gunner/situational deep threat, while Seymour got benched as a senior at USC. Although I liked how Whaley solidified Rex Ryan's front seven, I think it would be surprising if the Bills got meaningful contributions from more than two or three players in this class.

Is anyone else refreshed to not see every single grade say "The Bills are ineligible from having an A draft because they traded a 1st round pick for Sammy Watkins"?

I raise you a new one. ESPN post draft show with some of the resident geniuses (Kiper, McShay, Edwards, Jaworski) last night. It goes something like this: Did any AFCE team close the gap on NE? If it is anybody it's Miami because they have Tannehill. But wait Brady could miss games! Yes but Garopalo might be the second best QB in the division. Talk about complete disrespect!

Coach Tuesday doesn't care what they think.

Look bud - I appreciate your work as a poster on this board, you're great with the links and such. That said, I'm allowed to have a different viewpoint than you about this draft. I don't like it, because I don't like Lawson as a player and I think they should've taken the opportunity to add picks in Rounds 2, 3 and 4. You've expressed your displeasure with my viewpoint numerous times. Time to move on.

@PFWeekly

Our AFC East 2016 NFL Draft recap http://shawurl.com/2kgt

ChYqPSAU8AEeCpo.jpg
ChYqPoCU8AEv8FT.jpg
ChYqQKqUgAA12VL.jpg
ChYqPHTUUAEbqJ0.jpg

Buffalo Bills

Best pick: Alabama ILB Reggie Ragland (Round 2, Pick 41) — The Bills’ linebacking corps needed help, and they got it in the form of arguably the draft’s best inside linebacker, a downhill thumper who should be a good fit for Rex and Rob Ryan’s defense. Ragland had a medical issue pop up that may have dropped him to the second round, but for Doug Whaley to grab the sound tackler at No. 41 was a nice value pick.

Most controversial pick: RB Jonathan Williams (Round 5, Pick 156) — Williams has the tools to be a good back in the league one day, and it was only a fifth-round pick, but taking a player who didn’t play in 2015 is always a risk. The Bills are pretty comfortable at running back with LeSean McCoy and Karlos Williams, so they can afford the chance — but it also means they could have addressed another position here.

Needs remaining: Whaley and the Bills did not draft an offensive lineman. It’s fair to stand pat at right tackle with what they have and see how things turn out with young, intriguing prospects (Seantrel Henderson and Cyrus Kouandijo), but Buffalo certainly could have added depth or more competition here.

Rating: Thumbs Up — With Shaq Lawson, Reggie Ragland and Adolphus Washington, the Bills immediately upgraded their front seven with talented and productive players.

@PSchrags

3. Buffalo Bills: A

The Bills didn't resemble a Rex Ryan team on defense last year, and if you're going to employ Rex (and brother Rob), you might as well give the defense some thumpers up front. Shaq Lawson -- if his shoulder checks out -- can be the top pass rusher in this class, while Reggie Ragland is the perfect inside linebacker for a Ryan brother defense. I liked the selection of big boy Adolphus Washington up front, and can already envision Cardale Jones getting on the field at some point in 2016. I liked the value and the needs fulfilled with the first four picks in this draft, and think Kolby Listenbee, a late-round flyer, could be a decent threat in the deep game.

Best value pick: Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama, 41st overall

Look bud - I appreciate your work as a poster on this board, you're great with the links and such. That said, I'm allowed to have a different viewpoint than you about this draft. I don't like it, because I don't like Lawson as a player and I think they should've taken the opportunity to add picks in Rounds 2, 3 and 4. You've expressed your displeasure with my viewpoint numerous times. Time to move on.

You are way too serious about this. Lighten up man.

@PFF

The 5 teams that got the most draft value per pick. And the 5 teams that got the least: http://buff.ly/1WCPVXf

@PostSports

Five teams that added the most value per pick

5. Buffalo Bills

1 (19) Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson
2 (41) (from Chicago) Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama
3 (80) Adolphus Washington, DT, Ohio State
4 (139) Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State
5 (156) Jonathan Williams, RB, Arkansas
6 (192) Kolby Listenbee, WR, TCU
6 (218) Kevon Seymour, CB, USC

The Bills clearly wanted to address their front seven, in particular their worst-in-the-NFL pass-rush grade, and landed three players who can help in Lawson, Ragland and Washington. Each graded out well overall and as pass-rushers, and each represented a major value based on the PFF board, ranking No. 11, 26 and 43, respectively. Williams (No. 137 on the PFF board) is a potential steal, having ranked fifth in the nation in elusive rating (PFF’s measure of a back’s ability to generate yards independent of his blocking) two seasons ago before missing all of 2015 due to injury.

I love the emphasis we seem to be placing on top college programs.

Our top 4 picks already have a winner's mentality instilled in them and think of themselves as something special (in a good way).

They have also seen a ton of big time games with lots of pressure and fan frenzy.

Sure the NFL is a different level to even big time NCAA ball, but if the OSU and 'Bama guys spread that "expectation of winning because we are special" attitude around the locker room, only good things can happen.

Isn't he an avowed Jets fan? Maybe I'm misremembering something I read once

Could be. It sure does seem like he has a personal vendetta against someone at OBD. Maybe lingering Donahoe fallout? Whatever it is, he's never given the Bills a fair shake and most of his insight into the team (like Lacan'tstandya) are wrong 9 times out of 10.

Consensus Draft Grades

I took all the grades I could find- thanks to 26Blitz. Outliers have alot less weight. The more info I got the less a team could move.

A-......Jax, Was

B+.....Bal,Buf,Cin,Chi,Den,Min

B.......Mia,KC,SD,Ind,Sea,GB,NO,Hou,TB

B-.....Ten,Cle,Dal,Oak,Az,NYG,SF,Det,LA

C+....NE,Car,NYJ,Pit,Phi

C......Atl

Edited by The Thurmanator

Consensus Draft Grades

I took all the grades I could find- thanks to 26Blitz. Outliers have alot less weight. The more info I got the less a team could move.

A-......Jax, Was

B+.....Bal,Buf,Cin,Chi,Den,Min

B.......Mia,KC,SD,Ind,Sea,GB,NO,Hou,TB

B-.....Ten,Cle,Dal,Oak,Az,NYG,SF,Det,LA

C+....NE,Car,NYJ,Pit,Phi

C......Atl

Thanks for the data compilation. :thumbsup:

Who improved the most in the draft?
The Jacksonville Jaguars hit the defensive jackpot with Jalen Ramsey and Myles Jack. Where do they rank on Adam Schein's list of the most improved teams following the 2016 NFL Draft?

7) Buffalo Bills

I really liked the Bills draft. After leading the NFL with 54 sacks in 2014, Buffalo sputtered to 21 sacks (31st) in 2015, so it made sense to take defensive end Shaq Lawson 19th overall heading into Rex Ryan's second season at the helm. The Clemson product can get to the quarterback instantly. Buffalo then stole a starting linebacker in Round 2 by getting Reggie Ragland (No. 41 overall).

As for the Bills' fourth-round investment in former Ohio State quarterback Cardale Jones, Buffalo was one of three teams we thought was the perfect destination for Jones to learn and develop.

@sn_nfl

Team grades: The Bears OWNED the NFL Draft. http://www.sportingnews.com/list/4704012-2016-nfl-draft-grades-analysis-all-32-teams-round-by-round-picks

Buffalo Bills: A-

Whom they drafted: DE Shaq Lawson, ILB Reggie Ragland, DT Adolphus Washington, QB Cardale Jones, RB Jonathan Williams, WR Kolby Litstenbee, CB Kevon Seymour

MORE: Cardale waited a year too long, and paid

Why the grade: Rex Ryan saw what he had on defense, and after he couldn't get it to produce, made sure to overhaul the front seven in the image of his more ideal scheme. Lawson and Ragland, both high first-round talents, will go to work right away flying upfield against run and pass. Ryan can get the most out of Washington's quickness. The steal might end up being Jones, who should have been taken a lot earlier given his big frame, huger arm and athleticism. He landed in the right spot to develop into an NFL starter.