RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

I'm happy with the pick. I'm glad they went with one of the BPA.

However, let's also not act like Rex hasn't whiffed a few times with first round defensive picks. (Quinton Coples, Kyle Wilson)

You're coming from a different angle. I'm not saying Rex drafted Lawson - maybe you are. The GM drafts players with input. I think Rex's input is as valid as anyone in the NFL for defensive players.

ESPN draft formula in Rd 1: Everyone gushes and one person talks about the negatives. They did it with almost every pick. Clearly a scripted approach to the picks. I was waiting to see who it was going to be to diss Lawson--it was Gruden with the pretaped ND game stuff. Doesn't bother me. For a change the Bills drafted the consensus best guy at a position of high need. Can't argue.

Plus, how can you not love a Shaq.

5 things to know about 1st-round pick Shaq Lawson
Bills first-round pick Shaq Lawson is a difficult pass rusher to defend, but was highly touted from the time he came out of prep school.

Watch: Doug Whaley discuss Shaq Lawson pick (7:03)
Bills General Manager Whaley recaps the Bills 1st round pick, DE Shaq Lawson.

Watch: Shaq Lawson Highlights (0:47)

Watch a few highlights of Bills 1st Rd pick Shaq Lawson, Defensive End out of Clemson University.

Name me the last quality NFL player, minus QBs, to retire because of a shoulder issue.

I'm not talking about retiring. I'm not even saying it's an issue. What I'm saying is that it's dumb to say it's a non-issue because some random guy had surgery and he "barely feels it".

Also, Tony Boselli.

uh, they just showed highlights and i've seen highlights, he got shut out against stanley.

I'm not saying one or the other is right, but here's a write up on the Lawson/Stanley matchup:

"Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson, RJr. (6-3, 275, 4.67, #90)

In the biggest game of the weekend, Lawson stepped up and had one of the best performances of his career against Notre Dame, which is even more impressive considering he faced future first round left tackle Ronnie Stanley most of the night. Lawson finished the game with seven tackles, including 3.5 of those stops for loss, beating Stanley with quickness and power. He has quick, strong hands to create push with his upper body strength, showing the fluid lower body to drive his legs and smoothly change directions based on his reads. Lawson plays decisive and disciplined to hold the edge and not abandon his responsibilities, something that was evident against the Irishs athletic backfield. And scouts were definitely watching: this #90 is a difference-maker! That was a text I received during the game from an AFC scout who wasnt at the game, but was watching while on the road. Lawson is a power player with the lower body athleticism to be equally dominant against the run and the pass, putting his draft value in the early rounds if he chooses to declare." http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25328905/stock-report-shaq-lawson-a-difference-maker-says-nfl-scout

Andy Benoit's Take:

19. Buffalo: Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson

This is the best for both parties. The Bills need an outside rusher to replace Mario Williams, and Lawson will need help from the scheme. Though a prolific pass rusher at Clemson, he’s not a natural edge-bender. His NFL success will come from his ability to disengage from blocks and win with his hands—two things that he still needs to work on, by the way. In Ryan’s system, fortunately, Lawson will rarely have to burn around the corner. He’ll benefit from the threat of overload blitzes and zone exchanges that give him inside paths to the quarterback. The question is, what can he contribute in coverage? He zone-dropped a few times each game at Clemson. As Mario Williams learned (much to his chagrin), you have to do that if you play outside linebacker for Rex Ryan.

Jay Skurski's Take:

19. Buffalo Bills.

Selection: Shaq Lawson, defensive end, Clemson.

Why the Bills selected him: Let's count the reasons: 1. Lawson was one of the best pass rushers in all of college football last season, with 12.5 sacks. 2. He played at Rex Ryan's favorite college, Clemson, where Ryan's son goes to school, and the Bills have a history of scouting extensively. 3. His football character is universally praised. 4. He's also stout against the run, with 25.5 tackles for loss, not all of which come on sacks.

My take: This looks like a perfect fit for the Bills. There is some concern about Lawson's shoulder, but if that checks out, he should fit right in as a starter in the defensive front seven – which was clearly the Bills' biggest need heading into the draft.