Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

The question is whether the Jets feel Fitz can do something he's never done before, despite being oh so close last year, and take them to the game playoffs? If so, pay him the $14M he's looking for. If not, roll with Geno until Hack is ready.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is whether the Jets feel Fitz can do something he's never done before, despite being oh so close last year, and take them to the game playoffs? If so, pay him the $14M he's looking for. If not, roll with Geno until Hack is ready.

I want something that eats up a few years of cap. Really make them suffer.

Yea and he also can't win when most needed... you know, like Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Guess the Bengals will be cutting Dalton in camp then..

So you let Fitz walk for what is essentially pocket change and doom your team to a top 10 draft pick next year?

You could work for the Jets right now...

Ready for what? Being something he has never been before?

Guess the Bengals will be cutting Dalton in camp then..

So you let Fitz walk for what is essentially pocket change and doom your team to a top 10 draft pick next year?

You could work for the Jets right now...

I'm sorry show me where Fitz took his team to the playoffs... come on you can come up with something better then that.

Oh wait you can't b.c it's Fitz.

I'm sorry show me where Fitz took his team to the playoffs... come on you can come up with something better then that.

Oh wait you can't b.c it's Fitz.

Who is the other QB that will get them that close to the playoffs? It's pretty simple.

I don't know his motivations but I do know that he is a hero to a whole lot of Harvard grads who have a whole lot of access to major earnings potential and he is wealthy enough to get in one some sweet opportunities.

I can't imagine him as a hedge fund manager but I can imagine him as a major stockholder in a company that could be worth billions in the future.

If an knucklehead jobber like Bon Jovi can get in the conversation for NFL ownership Fitz certainly can one day if he goes after it, IMO.

But then again.......maybe he doesn't care about that stuff. This guys been kicked around all over the league. He might just be at the Orton point in regard to what he feels about the game.........as in he wants the real big money or he can just go kick back in sunny AZ.

I actually think Fitz is too smart to invest in the NFL. If anything I think the TV money bubble, the sweetheart stadium deals, and peoples' willingness to pay the equivalent of a couple of vacations for tickets, food and parking -- all of that is going to be on the decline. And this is to say nothing of the coming decline in the game itself given that a generation of talent is opting for safer sports.

None which is why I want them to sign him for insane amount of money b.c I know even with Fitz they never will.

No one is looking for "insane amounts of money" in this impasse.

You know Fitz pretty well it seems. Did you know in September that he would lead them to 10 wins and that the Bills would be relegated to spoiler status by week 17?

Link?

No one is looking for "insane amounts of money" in this impasse.

You know Fitz pretty well it seems. Did you know in September that he would lead them to 10 wins and that the Bills would be relegated to spoiler status by week 17?

Link?

I knew the Bills would win both games and he wouldn't make the playoffs. I thought he would win 6 but he did 4 better... Brandon Marshal isn't making a full season, Fitz will never be as good as last year.

Most Bills fans know Fitz VERY well.

Ready for what? Being something he has never been before?

Maybe. But at least it won't cost them $14M to find out he'll never take them to the playoffs. Not that they didn't figure that out last year.

I knew the Bills would win both games and he wouldn't make the playoffs. I thought he would win 6 but he did 4 better... Brandon Marshal isn't making a full season, Fitz will never be as good as last year.

Most Bills fans know Fitz VERY well.

Sure you did.

You would dump the best QB on your team after his best year ever over a few extra million over a couple of years?

Maybe. But at least it won't cost them $14M to find out he'll never take them to the playoffs. Not that they didn't figure that out last year.

Then why haven't they brought in someone else? Why are they still trying to get to a deal with Fitz?

And you would be OK with the your team tossing a few more years away to see if they haven't drafted useless Penn St QB? No you wouldn't.

Then why haven't they brought in someone else? Why are they still trying to get to a deal with Fitz?

And you would be OK with the your team tossing a few more years away to see if they haven't drafted useless Penn St QB? No you wouldn't.

Bring in...who? They weren't many options. Especially with their cap situation.

Speaking of which, I'd be more pissed if my team had to make unsavory cap moves in order to fit a guy who choked away the playoffs the year before. It's either toss away a few more years with Fitz or Hack for a lot less.

I don't know his motivations but I do know that he is a hero to a whole lot of Harvard grads who have a whole lot of access to major earnings potential and he is wealthy enough to get in one some sweet opportunities.

AZ.

Bingo!

Haha, years ago I never thought I'd like Marshall but he has grown on me.

It's hard not to like Marshall and how much he's grown since turning pro. His work on Inside the NFL is arguably the strongest on that show when he's there. Glad to see the guy doing well, even if he's a darn Jest.

Bring in...who? They weren't many options. Especially with their cap situation.

Speaking of which, I'd be more pissed if my team had to make unsavory cap moves in order to fit a guy who choked away the playoffs the year before. It's either toss away a few more years with Fitz or Hack for a lot less.

Your equating Fitz and Hackenberg is worth a giggle.

You would screw your team and fans over for a few millimeters of cap space? No you wouldn't.

@KimJonesSports

Todd Bowles on Mangold, Marshall & Decker absent to show solidarity w/Fitz: "I don't think so. You'd have to ask them but I don't think so."

Gotta feel for Bowles being forced to say silly stuff like this.

I want something that eats up a few years of cap. Really make them suffer.

Think that is what is missing in most of these pieces...everybody thinks Fitz is looking for $14M and jets offering $7m, or $10M if last report is correct. That just seems off to me.

I think Fitz is looking for $25M-$30M GUARANTEED....maybe i missed but i have not seen reports term and guarantee and the delta between Jets and Fitz

Think that is what is missing in most of these pieces...everybody thinks Fitz is looking for $14M and jets offering $7m, or $10M if last report is correct. That just seems off to me.

I think Fitz is looking for $25M-$30M GUARANTEED....maybe i missed but i have not seen reports term and guarantee and the delta between Jets and Fitz

So you figured you would make up what he is demanding?

Your equating Fitz and Hackenberg is worth a giggle.

You would screw your team and fans over for a few millimeters of cap space? No you wouldn't.

Giving Fitz a 3-year deal in the neighborhood of $14M/year would be the definition of screwing your team and fans. He'll be unlikely to come close to duplicating his career year last year, one that still wan't good enough to get them into the playoffs.

i believe the words" i think" are much different than " i know" ...but maybe that is a tough concept to understand.

Ok...if you haven't heard anything about any numbers of any kind, why would you go right to a number range that high?

Giving Fitz a 3-year deal in the neighborhood of $14M/year would be the definition of screwing your team and fans. He'll be unlikely to come close to duplicating his career year last year, one that still wan't good enough to get them into the playoffs.

If they sign him to 14 mil a year times 3, there's not going to be a huge guarantee. I'm sure he knows that. And they can cut him next year if they want.

If the criteria for not paying starting QBs is whether they make the playoffs or not, you and the rest of the NFL have some explaining to do regarding recent and existing QB contract renewals.

None which is why I want them to sign him for insane amount of money b.c I know even with Fitz they never will.

We need to get you in fast lane for Jest GM - you seem to have same foolish ideas as the GM they dumped had.

i believe the words" i think" are much different than " i know" ...but maybe that is a tough concept to understand.

For you it appears "I think" and "I make up like a Bills reporter" seem to be same thing. Baseless speculation based on poor opinion of subject.

Jest are just in a bad spot

They will realize all they have is each other and he will sign with the Jests. They will overpay. They will go 6-10. They will cut him right before FA. They will sign some other QB to compete with Sackenberg. Petty will continue to only play football online and Geno will become a member of the Browns. Fitz will be signed as a "vet backup" by some team with a young QB.

The end.

Edited by YoloinOhio

For you it appears "I think" and "I make up like a Bills reporter" seem to be same thing. Baseless speculation based on poor opinion of subject.

Have i missed something here? This is a message board, with a bunch of fans on it, that express their opinion. I stated " i think" this could be the reason he has not agreed to terms.

Absolutely speculation...hence the words I think, not i know!

Where TF is the confusion???

Gotta feel for Bowles being forced to say silly stuff like this.

I have a solution:

Woody can sign Fitz to a 5 year $90M contract and only guarantee about $60M of it and then Fitz will only count as 4.88% of their salary cap this year.

I gotta' give credit to eball for the idea........pretty sure he could out-dorf Overdorf if given the chance.

a guy who choked away the playoffs the year before.

I was at that game. While Fitz messed up, he was by far the only Jet choking away the playoffs that day. Marshall and Decker dropped passes. Their D couldn't get the Bills O off the field to save necks. It was a team choke. Fitz threw more TDs last year than any other QB in Jets franchise history (56 years). Cut him a little husk, just a little :). He had a lot of help.

Have you seen his wife? I would be making excuses to stay home too.

Yeah, the lawn needs mowing.

I was at that game. While Fitz messed up, he was by far the only Jet choking away the playoffs that day. Marshall and Decker dropped passes. Their D couldn't get the Bills O off the field to save necks. It was a team choke. Fitz threw more TDs last year than any other QB in Jets franchise history (56 years). Cut him a little husk, just a little :). He had a lot of help.

Hey, I hope the Jets give him a huge contract and screw themselves down the line with their extensions of old players. There is no way he's duplicating his season from last year.

The Jets are doing the same thing as what the Bills did with Fitz. They are willing to keep him on a short term deal (related to actual $$$) at a particular price range. It is a talent to contract ratio. There is nothing out of the ordinary or irresponsible about their position.

When it comes to options Fitz has little leverage because no other team is willing to have him on their roster, let alone pay him. The Jets simply need a bridge qb for a year or so.

Fitz is a backup caliber of qb who happened to start on teams without a starting qb. He is the type of qb who falls in the category of "let's just get by with him" until we get a real starter. Fitz is a smart guy with a secure ego and is aware that he is at the end of the line in this phase of his career. The Jets are aware at this point he is the best immediate option they have. So I'm sure that a deal will eventually get done.

The bottom line is Fitz is Fitz. You don't get anywhere serious with a Fitz type of qb. If even Buffalo can recognize that then the Jets and every team in the league can also recognize that which is so obvious. If Fitz should take an uncompromising stance (which I don't think will happen) then the Jets would just move on and find another mediocre qb to fill in.

Edited by JohnC

The Jets are doing the same thing as what the Bills did with Fitz. They are willing to keep him on a short term deal (related to actual $$$) at a particular price range. It is a talent to contract ratio. There is nothing out of the ordinary or irresponsible about their position.

When it comes to options Fitz has little leverage because no other team is willing to have him on their roster, let alone pay him. The Jets simply need a bridge qb for a year or so.

Fitz is a backup caliber of qb who happened to start on teams without a starting qb. He is the type of qb who falls in the category of "let's just get by with him" until we get a real starter. Fitz is a smart guy with a secure ego and is aware that he is at the end of the line in this phase of his career. The Jets are aware at this point he is the best immediate option they have. So I'm sure that a deal will eventually get done.

The bottom line is Fitz is Fitz. You don't get anywhere serious with a Fitz type of qb. If even Buffalo can recognize that then the Jets and every team in the league can also recognize that which is so obvious. If Fitz should take an uncompromising stance (which I don't think will happen) then the Jets would just move on and find another mediocre qb to fill in.

The Jets don't have a mediocre QB.