Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All respect 3rdand12, but isn't talking about "trickling" in the context of guy's pants kind of....gross?

I missed that! I have thought all along that the lack of negotiation with Fitz may have less to do with any "hard valuation" placed on Fitz and more to do with the Jets crappy cap situation.

warm wet and comforting . when you get my age you will understand

Jets are still pumping out positive Geno articles so guess this isn't done yet

thats what i am picking up on too.

wonder how Bowles really feels though

who can blame Fitz for waiting. He will get a blank check from Woody once they get a Geno preview in camp.

I've been fairly quiet on this topic but now is as good a time as any to jump in.

Fitz needs the Jets. That's right HE needs the Jets. He had a career year playing in the Gailey system which he already knew and had some success with before. It has been mentioned but glossed over in this thread that Geno was the starter before IK broke his jaw. If Fitz wants to get a deal done it will be with the Jets.

I will admit that his asking price of 12 million is very reasonable but he finds himself in a Tyrod situation where there just isn't that kind of money to give him. Voidable years don't really work from a Jets perspective unless they think Hack is ready next year. Geno is likely gone next year if he doesn't start this year and even if he starts and shows poorly. That would leave the Jets with Petty and Hackenberg which is a worse situation than this year imo. I would think the Jets offered him 3 and were hoping for 2 years out of him.

So why do I think the Jets don't need Fitz as much as he needs them? Simple, no other team in the league wants him. For those of you railing on his record setting year, how did he not get interest from other teams? Most notably the Broncos who are going forward with Paxton Lynch , Sanchise, and Trevor Simeon. Fitz's success comes largely from the Gailey system.

I will freely admit that He can certainly sit the year out or retire but I would be surprised if that is the route they go. I am thinking he is sitting out camp and will be signed by the Jets somewhere between game 1-3 of the preseason. The only way he signs elsewhere is if there is a major injury. If I am reading Sportrac correctly, a preseason injury in Indy, Det, NYG, Chi, and Carolina who all offer a competitive team and could fit his 12 million deal in, could be a landing spot.

I've been fairly quiet on this topic but now is as good a time as any to jump in.

Fitz needs the Jets. That's right HE needs the Jets. He had a career year playing in the Gailey system which he already knew and had some success with before. It has been mentioned but glossed over in this thread that Geno was the starter before IK broke his jaw. If Fitz wants to get a deal done it will be with the Jets.

I will admit that his asking price of 12 million is very reasonable but he finds himself in a Tyrod situation where there just isn't that kind of money to give him. Voidable years don't really work from a Jets perspective unless they think Hack is ready next year. Geno is likely gone next year if he doesn't start this year and even if he starts and shows poorly. That would leave the Jets with Petty and Hackenberg which is a worse situation than this year imo. I would think the Jets offered him 3 and were hoping for 2 years out of him.

So why do I think the Jets don't need Fitz as much as he needs them? Simple, no other team in the league wants him. For those of you railing on his record setting year, how did he not get interest from other teams? Most notably the Broncos who are going forward with Paxton Lynch , Sanchise, and Trevor Simeon. Fitz's success comes largely from the Gailey system.

I will freely admit that He can certainly sit the year out or retire but I would be surprised if that is the route they go. I am thinking he is sitting out camp and will be signed by the Jets somewhere between game 1-3 of the preseason. The only way he signs elsewhere is if there is a major injury. If I am reading Sportrac correctly, a preseason injury in Indy, Det, NYG, Chi, and Carolina who all offer a competitive team and could fit his 12 million deal in, could be a landing spot.

Does Fitz need to play football as much as the Jets need to not trot Geno out there?

Other teams are irrelevant in this case. Fitz had a career year with the Jets and gave them their best record in 6 years. He just has to bet against the Jets. They can't walk away.

Edited by FireChan

Does Fitz need to play football as much as the Jets need to not trot Geno out there?

Other teams are irrelevant in this case. Fitz had a career year with the Jets and gave them their best record in 6 years. He just has to bet against the Jets. They can't walk away.

Wasn't Geno beating Fitz for the job last year before IK broke his face ?

Wasn't Geno beating Fitz for the job last year before IK broke his face ?

It was early in camp. Who knows how things would've shaken out over the rest of TC. Even we had days where EJ or Cassell were outplaying TT.

I'll tell you one thing. There isn't a man alive who is betting that Geno puts up a season like Fitz did last year.

How is this topic still trending? I don't stop by twobillsdrive too often but every once in a while when i DO decide to check if there's any news to read about, i keep seeing this topic in the main page.

Why do you care about Fitz news so much?

I agree, they have little choice.

How is this topic still trending? I don't stop by twobillsdrive too often but every once in a while when i DO decide to check if there's any news to read about, i keep seeing this topic in the main page.

Why do you care about Fitz news so much?

Going to take a wild guess that it has to do with the Jets being in our division and it being the most important position on the team Edited by YoloinOhio

Going to take a wild guess that it has to do with the Jets being in our division and it being the most important position on the team

Plus, Miami is going to finish below Buffalo and New England is going to finish above them so the Jets are competition for a potential wil card spot.

Plus, Miami is going to finish below Buffalo and New England is going to finish above them so the Jets are competition for a potential wil card spot.

No the Jets will be fighting with Miami to either have the best draft pick or not be last in the division.

@adamschefter

Jets and Ryan Fitzpatrick have had no recent talks, remain far apart on contract, no resolution expected any time soon, per @Edwerderespn.

And this

@rapsheet

As #Jets players report today, there is no deal on the horizon for 20th pick LB Darron Lee. Last year, picks 1-19 got fully guaranteed deals

Edited by YoloinOhio

Multiple contract offers?

After all the negotiation, I'm surprised they feel the need to offer Fitz a smorgasbord of options. Isn't clear yet what Fitz wants? It seems the Jets would either give Fitz what he wants or the closest approximation that they can live with. One offer.

You are correct. It's just a negotiation tactic, mostly for PR purposes. Look at the options we're giving him! Plus they can point to specifics in the different contracts as well. Look, we offered him X guaranteed dollars! Look, we offered him a one year deal! Plus it gets negotiations moving again.

No as I stated Fitz certainly can walk away. He is playing a game of chicken with himself though. The Jets certainly can start Geno. They were ready to start him last year. Fitz wasn't brought in to be the starter last year. He did play well in spots but he put up volume stats not quality stats. He only completed 59.5 % of his passes (29th in the league) for 6.9 ypa (27th in the league) for a rating of 88 (24th in the league). Also people need to adjust their qb expectations with the volume stats. He did indeed pass for 3900 yards (15th in the league), his 31 tds only put him at 10th in the league, and he was 5th in the league for ints.

So he is bottom half of the league in completion %, ypa, qb rating, and ints. Looking beyond the numbers is important for this conversation. 3900 yards and 31 tds sounds great until you put it in context of the rest of the league and rest of his stats.

It was early in camp. Who knows how things would've shaken out over the rest of TC. Even we had days where EJ or Cassell were outplaying TT.

I'll tell you one thing. There isn't a man alive who is betting that Geno puts up a season like Fitz did last year.

See above. Geno can do all of that with the exception of maybe the yards/tds. However extrapolating out his game that he came in as a sub from last year (freely admit not a guarantee) would put him at 4240 yards and 32 tds. I'll beat it to death but Fitz put up volume stats not quality stats.

No as I stated Fitz certainly can walk away. He is playing a game of chicken with himself though. The Jets certainly can start Geno. They were ready to start him last year. Fitz wasn't brought in to be the starter last year. He did play well in spots but he put up volume stats not quality stats. He only completed 59.5 % of his passes (29th in the league) for 6.9 ypa (27th in the league) for a rating of 88 (24th in the league). Also people need to adjust their qb expectations with the volume stats. He did indeed pass for 3900 yards (15th in the league), his 31 tds only put him at 10th in the league, and he was 5th in the league for ints.

So he is bottom half of the league in completion %, ypa, qb rating, and ints. Looking beyond the numbers is important for this conversation. 3900 yards and 31 tds sounds great until you put it in context of the rest of the league and rest of his stats.

See above. Geno can do all of that with the exception of maybe the yards/tds. However extrapolating out his game that he came in as a sub from last year (freely admit not a guarantee) would put him at 4240 yards and 32 tds. I'll beat it to death but Fitz put up volume stats not quality stats.

He set franchise records with the Jets. As I said before, he is betting against them.

Geno can do all the above, except put up yards and TD's? Okay. So Geno cannot break the franchise records set by Fitz. The only record he could break is most INT's in a season. He will not be 10th in TD's. How will BMarsh and Decker feel when they have 2 TD's each for the whole year? The team will implode without Fitz.

Edited by FireChan