Brady suspension reinstated!

FireChan

I think I read that in another NFL related case, the Maurice Clarette case, they asked for a stay and she almost immediately denied it.

It was her, and she did turn it down. She basically said there was no reason to overturn the lower courts ruling.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the one millionth time, it's about the authority of the commissioner to mete out discipline. The fact that you believe it's still about deflated balls is a tribute to Brady's team of media ballwashers.

For the nth time, that is incorrect. Even Brady and the NFLPA are not arguing that. This case is about whether the Commissioner "mete(d) out discipline" appropriately, as per the CBA.

If its delayed beyond the season start date keep his ass on the sideline during the appeal process, see how quickly he changes his tune.

Its a sad day when the SCOTUS needs to hear a case about deflated footballs

There's no denying Brady's a great QB, but I'm losing any respect I've had for the guy. These appeals are paid-for by the NFLPA - it's quite selfish of him to ask them to do this. Beyond that, his appeals are keeping him in the spotlight and the issue is old, old, old.

The 1st quote brings up a great point. It would be dream-like if they granted an appeal but said he could not play until it is held on Oct 24, 2016!!

The 2nd quote is spot on. If for no other reason than costing taxpayers money, RBG needs to end the silliness and tell Tom to shut up and sit down until Oct 10th.

There's no denying Brady's a great QB, but I'm losing any respect I've had for the guy. These appeals are paid-for by the NFLPA - it's quite selfish of him to ask them to do this. Beyond that, his appeals are keeping him in the spotlight and the issue is old, old, old.

The 1st quote brings up a great point. It would be dream-like if they granted an appeal but said he could not play until it is held on Oct 24, 2016!!

The 2nd quote is spot on. If for no other reason than costing taxpayers money, RBG needs to end the silliness and tell Tom to shut up and sit down until Oct 10th.

I'm pretty sure the SCOTUS doesn't get paid by the case....

There's no denying Brady's a great QB, but I'm losing any respect I've had for the guy. These appeals are paid-for by the NFLPA - it's quite selfish of him to ask them to do this.

NFLPA cares about the precedent the case will set...to them well worth the few million dollars to knock down Rogers authority..much bigger than just Brady playing.

I think he meant more to the point of wasting time on a case that is insignificant compared to other court cases. Hence wasting money.

Well, since they decide what cases to hear, it still doesn't make sense. This is what they are paid to do. If they think a case is worthy, it's not a waste of money.

Well, since they decide what cases to hear, it still doesn't make sense. This is what they are paid to do. If they think a case is worthy, it's not a waste of money.

Not if it's totally unworthy of consideration. It's not as though they go through every single request and then decide to recess. If they have to spend one hour on this it's one less hour they have to spend on a new, potentially worthy case.

Not if it's totally unworthy of consideration. It's not as though they go through every single request and then decide to recess. If they have to spend one hour on this it's one less hour they have to spend on a new, potentially worthy case.

That's not really how it works, but yes, the Court (in the form of their clerks) does go through every writ of certiorari sent to the SCOTUS. They have to. 8000-10000 a year. 1% of these will go before the Court.

So, again, they don't know if this case is any more or less "worthy" (appropriate is a better word) for the Court until they review the writ. There is no more wasted time on this one than any of the thousands of others.

Edited by Mr. WEO

That's not really how it works, but yes, the Court (in the form of their clerks) does go through every writ of certiorari sent to the SCOTUS. They have to. 8000-10000 a year. 1% of these will go before the Court.

So, again, they don't know if this case is any more or less "worthy" (appropriate is a better word) for the Court until they review the writ. There is no more wasted time on this one than any of the thousands of others.

No, they eventually, in theory, go through them all from what I understand. There is always more and they are just pushed to the next time they are in session. So they are in fact, not getting to one which may have merit for each one that is entirely without merit. And the more learned of the lawyers would know many of the ones that are totally without merit before getting into them. Without me being a lawyer I couldn't say for sure that this is one of them, but it sure seems that way. It could not really set a precedent for other cases since it is only applicable to this particular CBA as far as whether or not Goodell had the power to do what he did.

Lifetime ban over 2 psi?

For wasting NFL time including destroying of cell phone. Definitely worth a banishment and if it repeats should be erasing of his name from all NFL Record Books.

If money spent in useless appeals was charged against money available for players to split maybe there would be less of them.

There are plenty of good models of disciplinary offices in all the professional sports that could be used to come up with a reasonable approach that would satisfy all sides.

Most of those models do not work with the roster sizes of NFL teams and the moronic partner who tries to get back in court what they cannot win on bargaining table.

No, they eventually, in theory, go through them all from what I understand. There is always more and they are just pushed to the next time they are in session. So they are in fact, not getting to one which may have merit for each one that is entirely without merit. And the more learned of the lawyers would know many of the ones that are totally without merit before getting into them. Without me being a lawyer I couldn't say for sure that this is one of them, but it sure seems that way. It could not really set a precedent for other cases since it is only applicable to this particular CBA as far as whether or not Goodell had the power to do what he did.

I agree that the SCOTUS wouldn't hear the case as it doesn't meet any criteria for hearing it.

But all certs are reviewed by the Justices' clerks in a pool. This one case of thousands is not "more work" for anyone in the Court, certainly no more than the 99% of those petitions which would also be denied. So the claim that "taxpayer money" would be wasted on a bunch of clerks reviewing this one particular case makes no sense. They don't get to chose which cases to review.