Mock - Paxton Lynch

Virgil

I think he's a developmental QB with some endearing traits. Just thinking about Buffalo in terms of environment, he fits the bill of big hands and big arm to counteract rain/wind.

He's mobile enough for what Greg Roman wants to do (he's basically the perfect Kubiak QB, rollouts/bootlegs come easy to him), not afraid to take shots vertically.

Big issues come with the scheme that he was in. Asks him to do very basic reads, he's poor in intermediate areas. I don't take him before the 4th myself, at 19 I think he's career suicide for Dougie.

I am aware that his system at Memphis was so primitive, it means he has a sharp learning curve.

Don't you think Whaley would clarify to the Pegulas the nature of the risk and developmental requirements on Lynch?

I think he gets the go-ahead from the top before he makes a pick like Lynch. Otherwise, forget it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure everyone struggles and has a bad day that's not up for debate. The previous poster claimed that he had the highest ceiling in the draft. I have yet to see any legitimate discussion as to why, all everyone sees with Lynch is the size and mobility. We have a first hand example of how well size and mobility translate to the NFL when the brain doesn't match the physical tools. His name is EJ. Could Lynch have success in the NFL? Sure anything is possible but I remain unconvinced that anything he offers makes him worth investing a first round pick.

The poster says that about Lynch's ceiling because credible commentators like Daniel Jeremiah and others say exactly that. The reasons: He has a monster cannon for an arm, he's as enormous a physical specimen as candidates for the position can be, and he is very athletic. Some of what are considered the base physical requirements for the pro QB position have checks next to them and I think he's better on that scorecard than EJ ever was.

He is extremely raw and the scheme he ran in college tells us little about his ability to adapt to the pro game. The concerns surrounding his ability to process information quickly enuf (for whatever reason) are certainly justified, but I thinkit makes more sense to treat this as an unknown (for now) rather that a "he can't do it". Given the scheme and the surrounding talent (not to mention some spot on analysis before the draft by people in the know and who have been proven right) there was IMO a lot more damaging evidence at hand when the Bills drafted EJ. Ideally Paxton Lynch sits for two years before potentially seeing the field on a regular basis, either as a starter or main backup.

Whether he is a first round QB or not depends upon what century you are living in. In the 21st century he is certainly a first rounder. IMO there is a 50% chance that he is there at 19 (Jets may move up). If so the Bills will have an interesting decision to make - pick, pass or trade down. In any event, he'll be off the board by 32.

Edited by starrymessenger

The poster says that about Lynch's ceiling because credible commentators like Daniel Jeremiah and others say exactly that. The reasons: He has a monster cannon for an arm, he's as enormous a physical specimen as candidates for the position can be, and he is very athletic. Some of what are considered the base physical requirements for the pro QB position have checks next to them and I think he's better on that scorecard than EJ ever was.

He is extremely raw and the scheme he ran in college tells us little about his ability to adapt to the pro game. The concerns surrounding his ability to process information quickly enuf (for whatever reason) are certainly justified, but I thinkit makes more sense to treat this as an unknown (for now) rather that a "he can't do it". Given the scheme and the surrounding talent (not to mention some spot on analysis before the draft by people in the know and who have been proven right) there was IMO a lot more damaging evidence at hand when the Bills drafted EJ. Ideally Paxton Lynch sits for two years before potentially seeing the field on a regular basis, either as a starter or main backup.

Whether he is a first round QB or not depends upon what century you are living in. In the 21st century he is certainly a first rounder. IMO there is a 50% chance that he is there at 19 (Jets may move up). If so the Bills will have an interesting decision to make - pick, pass or trade down. In any event, he'll be off the board by 32.

Of course he will be picked in the 1st round, quarterbacks are way over valued in hopes that they can develop into something. We all know that, we don't need to go through and list of all the first round QB's who busted out of the league. It would be quite a long list, just because he is drafted in the 1st does not make him an equal prospect to what will be available. His position and position only dictate that he will be drafted that high.

With all the admitted risks and the time it's going to take to even get the kid up to speed why invest a 1st? You could get another physically gifted kid in Cardale Jones and lower your risk exponentially in the 3rd-4th round? They are both a few years away from attempting to play in the NFL, sounds like a coin flip to me...I will take the side that costs much less and dosent force me to bypass an immediate impact player who will be available at 19.

I know this....I would not be throwing my TV out the window if Buffalo drafted him.

I just dont want a QB contiversy.......if they did this I want Whaley immediately after telling everyone that TT is our starter.....and EJ is under contract for another year.

There will be a good defensive player in round 2

It's obvious to everyone that Lynch needs to sit for a year or two. There won't be any controversy. Having Taylor actually makes taking Lynch more justified, imo.

Of course he will be picked in the 1st round, quarterbacks are way over valued in hopes that they can develop into something. We all know that, we don't need to go through and list of all the first round QB's who busted out of the league. It would be quite a long list, just because he is drafted in the 1st does not make him an equal prospect to what will be available. His position and position only dictate that he will be drafted that high.

With all the admitted risks and the time it's going to take to even get the kid up to speed why invest a 1st? You could get another physically gifted kid in Cardale Jones and lower your risk exponentially in the 3rd-4th round? They are both a few years away from attempting to play in the NFL, sounds like a coin flip to me...I will take the side that costs much less and dosent force me to bypass an immediate impact player who will be available at 19.

Well some folks do maintain that he is not a first round QB, including some of this board's usually well informed posters. Maybe they mean that he will go in the first but (they feel) he should not.

He is almost certainly going to a very QB needy team (needier even than the Bills) so he wont likely get even two years to learn. He will have to show significant improvement in year one and probably will be expected to see the field in some capacity year two.

JMO but I would take him well before Jones. Lynch's ceiling is athletic QB. I think there is greater risk that Jones will be an athlete first and a QB second.

As for the option of taking an impactful player instead at 19, there is certainly benefit in that but we know that the draft is always something of a crapshoot so for any Shaq Lawson that the Bills may take, there are also always boom or bust candidates there besides the QBs that require teams to assume considerable risk.

Yeah, I wouldn't say moron, but he did run a dumbed down offense. No changes in protection, no audibles at the line, none of that

Can't play under center. Doesn't run a huddle......

I could give two shiits about how he wears his beard.

Do you really want to go through the 2016 with just Taylor at QB with manuel and some late round nobody behind him at QB??

The way Taylor plays he's almost certain to get injured at some point. That means that we will need to have somebody behind who can get the job done.

Had we won the two games that Manuel started last year we would have made the playoffs.

Lynch looks like D. Bledsoe in his prime with much more mobility. He has the potential to be the best QB in this draft. That alone makes him worth the risk at #19 overall.

So this kid would be the one who could "get the job done" if TT goes down? In what year will this kid with the special ed offense at the basketball college be ready to do that?

If Interviews and Wonderlick scores determined if a Football player was going to be successful, I would be with you, but you cant deny the kid made plays, and a lot of them. Every QB Struggles, it happens. Even the great ones.

Tom Brady has had 2 4 INT games against the Bills. It happens to the best of them.

Ah, there it is. That didn't take long.

@NFL_CFB

Mayock: Range where #Bills + #Jets are picking (No. 19 + No. 20) is about where Paxton Lynch should go.

With Goff and Wentz gone at the very top of the draft probably chances are Lynch now goes before the mid-first. Who knows, maybe Cleveland at #8. If RG3 doesn't pan out as the starter he can be a placeholder for Lynch. Browns are rebuilding anyway and wont be competitive for some years yet. No need to rush things. Neither Goff or Wentz are cant miss candidates and a lot has been spent to move up for them. Maybe Browns feel there isnt all that much to separate these three players at this point in time. Of course if that is the Brown's thinking it is likely not a good strategy and bound to fail.

Can't play under center. Doesn't run a huddle......

So this kid would be the one who could "get the job done" if TT goes down? In what year will this kid with the special ed offense at the basketball college be ready to do that?

Ah, there it is. That didn't take long.

He sucks, everyone sucks, next year is better, until next year, when I hate everyone in next class, and say the next year is better.

That better suit you?

I think the Bills will take Lynch at #19 overall......if he's there. The Jets will certainly take him at #20 overall if the Bills don't.

Whaley may even feel like he needs to trade up to get Lynch.

The Bills missed out on QB Ben Roethlisberger many years ago when he was selected just one pick in front of them. Just think about the direction the Bills might have followed had they made a move for QB Rberger instead of settling for WR Lee Evans.

You don't pass up the chance to draft a good QB when you have the chance.......well you can, but you won't be employed by an NFL team for very long.

threaten the jets then.

get a pick and let the jets have him. Bills should wait for an honest project

paxton lynch would be the best possible long term option at #19.

unfortunately we have short term thinkers making decisions.

thats nutso

I could give two shiits about how he wears his beard.

Do you really want to go through the 2016 with just Taylor at QB with manuel and some late round nobody behind him at QB??

The way Taylor plays he's almost certain to get injured at some point. That means that we will need to have somebody behind who can get the job done.

Had we won the two games that Manuel started last year we would have made the playoffs.

Lynch looks like D. Bledsoe in his prime with much more mobility. He has the potential to be the best QB in this draft. That alone makes him worth the risk at #19 overall.

If true, yes.

he also has the potential to not be.

and why he is moving up boards is not because he is better it is because Teams need a QB quicker than not.

Drafting QB in the first is drafting the Franchise qb.Thats the goal

Sure you would not rather have solid project to sit next year? In the 3rd round?

Edited by 3rdand12

I hope Lynch is drafted before 19 to remove the temptation . I would gamble big time and draft him . Would hate to see him fall to the Jets.

He seems like a big lunk with a howitzer for a arm , and needs 2 years of basic nfl coaching and film room reading defences. The price to move up to 1 or 2 in any draft from the Bills position is just too much.

Edited by ALF

He sucks, everyone sucks, next year is better, until next year, when I hate everyone in next class, and say the next year is better.

That better suit you?

Not for comedic value, no. The HOF QB false equivalence argument is always good for a laugh.

That's the reason he stays on the sideline at least 2 seasons.

At least 2, huh? I don't see putting a #19 pick on the bench for at least 2 seasons. He won't get any smarter there. This kid seems like another JPL....decent arm, dead head.

Please watch Lynch's bowl game against an average SEC defense. It was some of the worst qb play you will seen.

He has some physical talent but man he is hyped up because he put up numbers in mid major conference.

What about the Game against a very good Ole Miss team?

384 yards and 3 TD's.

but we cant point out the good can we? Only focus on bad. Its better that way, less happy.