The new PAT placement: good or bad?

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this rule change made the game better?

• Better
    • Worse

I don't think it should have as much bearing on the game as it did last year. I think making it permanent is the right move, if only that kickers can solely focus on it without any potential limbo about it changing back again. Kickers are creatures of habit, it clearly shook a select few of them last year (Carpenter included).

33 yard field goals aren't hard outside of rain and frozen conditions. I think where your team plays dictates how you see the rule change.

I'm not a fan. The hope was that more teams would go for 2. I think that Pittsburgh is the only team that did it with regularity. I was hoping that it would have been moved to the 1. Instead of making the extra point harder it would have made the 2 point try easier. That would have been more interesting IMO.

I don't think it should have as much bearing on the game as it did last year. I think making it permanent is the right move, if only that kickers can solely focus on it without any potential limbo about it changing back again. Kickers are creatures of habit, it clearly shook a select few of them last year (Carpenter included).

33 yard field goals aren't hard outside of rain and frozen conditions. I think where your team plays dictates how you see the rule change.

Agree but those are worth 3 points......a 20 yd FG is worth 3 but you need 33 to get 1...doesn't make sense....make shorter FGs worth less then

Edited by nucci

From a purist standpoint it is an abomination. It does artificially inject some excitement into the game. I wish these sports entities would for once take a long term perspective rather trying to maximize short term profits at every turn. In a few weeks everyone will be watching the greatest golf tournament in the world where corporate tents are banned and TV commercials almost nonexistent.

It makes the kicking game much more important. Anything that does that makes the game worse.

This - they should be minimizing the impact of kickers, not having the outcomes of games determined more by 'idiot kickers'

Agree but those are worth 3 points......a 20 yd FG is worth 3 but you need 33 to get 1...doesn't make sense....make shorter FGs worth less then

I've always thought that one point for an XP was fair, given the relative difficulty (or lack thereof) of the kick. As you stated, it doesn't make sense the way the scoring system stands now.

If you made a chip shot FG worth 1 point, it would make teams go for it on 4th and Goal more. It would penalise teams with an inept RZ offense. That would make the game much more 'sexy' than the rule change for the XP. Try as they might, you can't make the kicking game sexy. There's too many mouth breathers that resent special teamers even being on the field to make it more watchable.

So follow one bad rule with another even worse rule all because PATs weren't exciting enough?

No thanks.

So follow one bad rule with another even worse rule all because PATs weren't exciting enough?

No thanks.

My point was it doesn't make sense when you are kicking a longer distance for 1 point that you will for 3 on some occasions.

I would move it back another 5 yards, making it a 38 yard field goal. There would obviously be more misses-making the game more exciting. And it would also make teams at least think harder about going for the two pointer, when weighing the longer extra point.

Another issue that gets overlooked by many is when the kickoff was moved forward to the 35 yard line. Awful rule. Ruined an exciting part of the game. It should be at least back at the 30, bringing the kickoff return back into play. Football is a collision sport. Taking that out of the game is sinful by Goodell and company. Thoughts?

I would move it back another 5 yards, making it a 38 yard field goal. There would obviously be more misses-making the game more exciting. And it would also make teams at least think harder about going for the two pointer, when weighing the longer extra point.

Another issue that gets overlooked by many is when the kickoff was moved forward to the 35 yard line. Awful rule. Ruined an exciting part of the game. It should be at least back at the 30, bringing the kickoff return back into play. Football is a collision sport. Taking that out of the game is sinful by Goodell and company. Thoughts?

I guess I'm missing the "excitement" part. Which of Carpenter's misses was the most exciting last year?

Edited by KD in CT