Active shooter in little ole Olean NY

USMCBillsFan

Guy goes to evict a tenant. Said tenant shoots him 6 times in the abdomen and barricades himself inside his apartment. Every cop within 30 miles is here right now as negotiations continue. The victim was flown to, I believe, Buffalo via chopper.

I guess this jackass decided instead of being homeless he'll shoot his way into 3 squares and a bed, or his grave. We'll see how it plays out.

Sad, very sad.

How does the state prove murder one in this incident? I am no lawyer, but if guy dies, is it murder one? Sounds like an incident charged w/emotion?

Anyway, is this even an "active shooter" situation by definition. Doesn't sound like it. I thought an active shooter was somebody running around shooting more than one person (or something) This sounds like a bad situation that turned violent... So sad.

Hopefully the victim pulls through...

This...

I guess technically maybe it isn't an "active shooter". He is in a standoff with police right now. This town used to be the one you could go anywhere and leave your door to your house unlocked with no worries. Now you don't even want to leave your car unlocked to pay for gas. The drugs and people who just want to live off the state in subsidized housing have over run this little town. So sad. I came back here after retiring from the Marines and don't even recognize the place anymore.

Sad, very sad.

How does the state prove murder one in this incident? I am no lawyer, but if guy dies, is it murder one? Sounds like an incident charged w/emotion?

Anyway, is this even an "active shooter" situation by definition. Doesn't sound like it. I thought an active shooter was somebody running around shooting more than one person (or something) This sounds like a bad situation that turned violent... So sad.

This...

I dont know if they can prove its murder one unless someone can prove the guy knew the exact date he was going to be evicted and who the person to evict him would be

CBF

This town used to be the one you could go anywhere and leave your door to your house unlocked with no worries. Now you don't even want to leave your car unlocked to pay for gas. The drugs and people who just want to live off the state in subsidized housing have over run this little town. So sad. I came back here after retiring from the Marines and don't even recognize the place anymore.

I hear this same story more and more often from my friends who still live in the southern tier. The drug use, exploiting the welfare system, etc... sad all the way around. Hopefully, the victim lives and this guy's death wish is granted.

I hear this same story more and more often from my friends who still live in the southern tier. The drug use, exploiting the welfare system, etc... sad all the way around. Hopefully, the victim lives and this guy's death wish is granted.

Yup... Elmira has turned into Hellmira with the drug trade, shootings etc.

And what is the city doing about it?

They have the occasional drug raid but never catch the big shots and never will. They are thought to be in NYC and Rochester and I-86 is a good transportation route and Citys and Towns along it make excellent retail operations. When they have the shootings of course nobody saw anything.

They have the occasional drug raid but never catch the big shots and never will. They are thought to be in NYC and Rochester and I-86 is a good transportation route and Citys and Towns along it make excellent retail operations. When they have the shootings of course nobody saw anything.

follow the money to the top. that's where it ends and thats why nothing is being done.

Occasional raids obviously is not working. I'm not that up on law enforcement but in my opinion unless the city plays hardball nothing will change.

The Chinese Mafia even came up to the small town I grew up (only about 2000 people) to kill one of the employees at the one Chinese restaurant in town. Still classified as an unsolved murder. And the restaurant I worked at was owned by the Italians, who were using it to laundry money.

The Chinese Mafia even came up to the small town I grew up (only about 2000 people) to kill one of the employees at the one Chinese restaurant in town. Still classified as an unsolved murder. And the restaurant I worked at was owned by the Italians, who were using it to laundry money.

My dad grew up in Batavia in the 30's and 40's and said there were plenty of mob hits on backroom poker games.

Sad, very sad.

This...

NY has a lot of different "homicide" charges (nine, excluding vehicular homicide and abortion charges.) Anything above second-degree murder involves special circumstances such as killing a police officer or fireman, killing someone during the commission of another felony, killing a witness, contract killing.

So unless the guy serving the eviction notice was an on-duty sheriff (possible), it's probably not a first-degree murder charge. Even if it were an on-duty sheriff, it's probably still aggravated murder (a step below first degree). You have to be a real !@#$-up to get a first-degree murder charge - basically torture someone, or show a banally casual disregard for human life.