Bills' GM Whaley Talks Draft Philosophy in 1st Three Rounds

Bills GM Whaley talks about draft philosophy in first three rounds

"I tell everybody -- where we are as a team, there is not one position we wouldn't draft in the first, second or third round that we wouldn't have a need for," Whaley said. "Either by a guy coming in to compete for a starting job or a guy to add depth. And what you really want to do is now, in a year or two when you really need a guy, you're not relying on a rookie to go through those highs and lows. You have a guy that's been in your system for a year or two."

The Bills have been rebuilding every year Doug Whaley has worked for the team.

Being able to draft any position means you've not built much. The Bills were in the same state in 2006 when Marv took over, and then 2010 when Buddy started this rebuild, now into Act 2 with Whaley.

Subterfuge isn't something this front office is adept at.

Being able to draft any position means you've not built much. The Bills were in the same state in 2006 when Marv took over, and then 2010 when Buddy started this rebuild, now into Act 2 with Whaley.

I agree that, based on performance, the team has been rebuilding. However, based on Whaley's moves, the past two seasons cannot be viewed as a rebuild. In fact, I'd say they went as all-in as they could last offseason. Sadly, all-in on a head coach who blew it.

If Whaley is responsible for the 2013 draft, I can't take that as 100% truth. But in general that is a good philosophy. The Darby pick at the time seemed like a luxury pick, then turned out to be anything but.

If Whaley is responsible for the 2013 draft, I can't take that as 100% truth. But in general that is a good philosophy. The Darby pick at the time seemed like a luxury pick, then turned out to be anything but.

I firmly believe that it was Nix who put the Bills in a box with an edict of getting the franchise QB in the '13 draft that resulted in Manuel being drafted with the 16th pick after trading down.

I agree 26. He was too rigid trying to create a better team prior to getting a QB. Hindsight is 20/20, but should have gone after a QB when we thought we had a hit. He was right though in we had the least talented team in the NFL by 2010. Whaley has as well been building and we have a much better team now.

Every time i want to rip the GM a new one, I remember Polian's comments his lifetime hit list was 57% from the draft. Nix was better than anyone before him back to Butler, and Whaley has been better than Nix. Is Whaley Ozzy Newsome yet, no, but I like a lot of his decisions.

Besides as the Godfather, Gil Brandt always says, "March is liars month in the NFL". They are all playing games so no one knows what they are really thinking. To me these interviews with GM's are useless until the draft is over. They are just playing poker with 31 other GM's.

I firmly believe that it was Nix who put the Bills in a box with an edict of getting the franchise QB in the '13 draft that resulted in Manuel being drafted with the 16th pick after trading down.

he put them in a box by not drafting a QB well before they absolutely needed one with the mishandling of Fitz gibbons

I agree 26. He was too rigid trying to create a better team prior to getting a QB. Hindsight is 20/20, but should have gone after a QB when we thought we had a hit. He was right though in we had the least talented team in the NFL by 2010. Whaley has as well been building and we have a much better team now.

Every time i want to rip the GM a new one, I remember Polian's comments his lifetime hit list was 57% from the draft. Nix was better than anyone before him back to Butler, and Whaley has been better than Nix. Is Whaley Ozzy Newsome yet, no, but I like a lot of his decisions.

Besides as the Godfather, Gil Brandt always says, "March is liars month in the NFL". They are all playing games so no one knows what they are really thinking. To me these interviews with GM's are useless until the draft is over. They are just playing poker with 31 other GM's.

Fwiw they are useless after the draft too. We always got our BPA or a guy we never thought would be there at the pick.

Your agenda shines through when you compare the current roster to those in 2006 and 2010. And I thought you were smarter than to take GM interviews in March at face value.

Keep pounding that drum, though.

Always so grumpy!

I don't know how anyone can realistically compare our current roster to 2006/2010. I understand being disappointed with our record, but come on.

There are a number of miserable folks, Dork, who can't get past the W-L record to see anything positive about the direction in which this franchise is headed. You can say you don't like Rex -- I get it -- but he wasn't Whaley's hire. Tell me one absolutely horrible personnel decision they've made in the past two years. I'll spot you not getting a legitimate veteran QB in 2014 until the end of camp. Other than that -- what monstrously disastrous moves has Whaley made?

And by the way, the W-L record the last two years is 17-15. They're starting to win more than they lose.