Nepotism is not unusual in NFL

Buffalo have Ryan twins who worked for their father, Billichuck has promoted his son to coach and Washburn and Washburn are Miami coaches. In past there have been a number of positions like this in front offices (i.e. Polins) and in coaching staffs (i.e Shanahans, Phillips).

I do not see anything inherently WRONG with this for usually one of them spends a lot of time as intern, paid and otherwise; there sometimes is a lot of rivalry and leaks on coaching staffs and this is one way for a coach to usually have assurance that coach working for you IS on your side. The NFL is known as a game where coaches (and sometimes front office personnel) spend a lot of time working and for some family members it is way to spend time together.

The problem comes from coaches wanting unilateral control of coaching staffs but these staffs are paid for by someone else. The Bills front office wanted to fire Ronnie Jones and Wade wouldn't allow it. Coaches are paid for entire contract and that is a bad issue IMO when coach wants to protect subordinate and I think having relatives on staff makes it a lot harder when that coach is not up to expected standards. NFL teams should impose clauses in coaches contracts making review including discipline and firing decisions made by front office.

Miami:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/miami-dolphins-jim-washburn-defensive-line-coach-031816

Pats*:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25522426/the-patriots-just-gave-a-promotion-to-an-assistant-coach-named-belichick

I believe this is really not the case. If RW or the GM wanted to fire Ronnie Jones he could have anytime he wanted. He didn't need Wade's permission. But in most cases the front offices position is well you Mister HC hired this guy so it's up to you to fire him or not. I'm not going to do the dirty work for you, but I could. If you don't fire him I'll be very disappointed and it's one more nail in your coffin if and when I may decide to fire you. RW then tried to play the insubordination angle and tried to fire Wade with cause and not have to pay off his contract, but it didn't work.

I do agree with your overall point though that nepotism and hiring your buddies is typical in the NFL as it is in most places in general in life. The NFL is no different than anyplace else.

I believe this is really not the case. If RW or the GM wanted to fire Ronnie Jones he could have anytime he wanted. He didn't need Wade's permission. But in most cases the front offices position is well you Mister HC hired this guy so it's up to you to fire him or not. I'm not going to do the dirty work for you, but I could. If you don't fire him I'll be very disappointed and it's one more nail in your coffin if and when I may decide to fire you. RW then tried to play the insubordination angle and tried to fire Wade with cause and not have to pay off his contract, but it didn't work.

I do agree with your overall point though that nepotism and hiring your buddies is typical in the NFL as it is in most places in general in life. The NFL is no different than anyplace else.

It really is how life goes. Familiarity equals a comfort level. for better or worse.

In my work i have found that to be lazy thinking, because it was used to find an allegiance of sorts more than creating a more productive environment.

But in a community so tight knit as NFL coaching, it makes more sense in regard to continuity

@PFWeekly

Could Scarnechia’s return to coach #Patriots O-line unlock new OG Cooper’s potential? http://shawurl.com/2h8y

Cd2fGefWwAEC4-b.jpg

@Patriots

@RapSheet

Ian Rapoport Retweeted New England Patriots

Including new safeties coach Steve Belichick.

This can't be right because nepotism in the NFL only happens with Rex and the Bills. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

@PFWeekly

Could Scarnechia’s return to coach #Patriots O-line unlock new OG Cooper’s potential? http://shawurl.com/2h8y

Cd2fGefWwAEC4-b.jpg

@Patriots

#Patriots 2016 coaching staff: http://www.patriots.com/team/coaches

@RapSheet

Ian Rapoport Retweeted New England Patriots

Including new safeties coach Steve Belichick.

This can't be right because nepotism in the NFL only happens with Rex and the Bills. :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

Did any of those other nepotism cases involve hiring a relative that was fired from his last 2 NFL jobs for ineptitude?

This.

I couldn't care less about nepotism. If Bill Belichick wants to hire his distant 3rd cousin, that's cool with me. If John Elway hires his son...cool. But Wrex just had a disappointing first season here (after at least a couple in NY), and his brother has strung a few together.

I'll tell you what else is not unusual: To be loved by anyone.

Classic !!

Un-possible

@Terezpaylor

The #Chiefs announce that Britt Reid, Andy Reids son, has been promoted to primary DL coach. Was the assistant.

Guess he has come a long way. Good for Britt.

This.

I couldn't care less about nepotism. If Bill Belichick wants to hire his distant 3rd cousin, that's cool with me. If John Elway hires his son...cool. But Wrex just had a disappointing first season here (after at least a couple in NY), and his brother has strung a few together.

Its his twin, so its really like double mint gum.