People are addicted to their phone

Surprised NFLPA has not tried lawsuit to throw out that rule on sideline of NFL; person will not be fired but could be fined.

NFL has 2 valid justifications for no phones on the sidelines

Competition. Players could literally call in the next play to the broadcast booth or the opposing sideline

NFL controls all copyrights to game footage. Phones on the sidelines introduce unauthorized footage of NFL media

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL has 2 valid justifications for no phones on the sidelines

Competition. Players could literally call in the next play to the broadcast booth or the opposing sideline

NFL controls all copyrights to game footage. Phones on the sidelines introduce unauthorized footage of NFL media

Good point... You wonder what the Pats** may be up to. They are like the tech wiz kids of The League bunch of times caught w/their hand in the cookie jar. I wouldn't rule out somebody in the first row w/those cheating bastages!

:-O

I agree, you are right.

Just trying to look at it from "the reasonable" way courts try and view things.

What is reasonable to us may not be the reasonable expectations the law/court sees it.

It's been discussed at work how severe the punishment was for such a "minor" offense. There's people supporting both sides of this. Yes he's an idiot, but maybe they should have just given him a warning not to do it again.

FYI: cellphones were not allowed at all prior to 2008. The company had to make the exception because so many people "needed" their phone. The guy was working here during those times. It's well known. He's a 15yr employee.

The salary bump is over 4yrs. He didn't make it 2 days. There were a lot of applicants (only in-house). Now we're wondering if someone else will get the job or will they wait for the lawsuit to be resolved. I'm wondering if he has a case. Are cellphones a right?

It's been discussed at work how severe the punishment was for such a "minor" offense. There's people supporting both sides of this. Yes he's an idiot, but maybe they should have just given him a warning not to do it again.

FYI: cellphones were not allowed at all prior to 2008. The company had to make the exception because so many people "needed" their phone. The guy was working here during those times. It's well known. He's a 15yr employee.

The salary bump is over 4yrs. He didn't make it 2 days. There were a lot of applicants (only in-house). Now we're wondering if someone else will get the job or will they wait for the lawsuit to be resolved. I'm wondering if he has a case. Are cellphones a right?

Right? Hell no!

He's an idiot!

Yet... Just one active shooter incident and find out one couldn't dial or text out and things may change. Do they want you packing? See where I am going...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Absolutely not a right.

Agree. What about the safety angle though. It is a nice passive way to keep people safER: shooter, medical, etc... What happens if a disgruntled worker targets their attack around people they know can't call for help... The one's without the dot on their phone (let's just call them the non-Sneeches... LoL)

Ie: Of the 911 flight over PA. Phones were supposed to be turned off. What happens if everybody's phone was confiscated. Not that the calls helped that day... Just playing devil's advocate.

I agree... Not a right.

Laws? Courts? How about company compliance? I have four compliance guides totaling over 300 pages that I need to know and follow.

For instance we're not allowed to text clients. 100% forbidden and a terminable offence. Try to get that through a millennial's pea brain.

Really? What's the logic behind that out of curiosity? What if there's an urgent financial matter that impacts one of your clients and you need to reach them asap?

Just replace "money" w/"phone" & I if I recall, he said: "Don't look now, I am addicted to color TV!" LoL...

Spot on 40 years ago... Times change, but people don't.

Really? What's the logic behind that out of curiosity? What if there's an urgent financial matter that impacts one of your clients and you need to reach them asap?

The kink in the armor MAY be they allow certain phones and not others.

What is the reasoning here... Is it just because they may be competitor phones? It may be just as petty as that... If it is... Can they do that?

Like working at MicroSoft and them banning Android and Apple phones just because it will look bad. Allowing ONLY Windows phones gets you the "star on your belly?"

I made the Dr. Seuss "Sneech" reference.

The person is a "higher up" now... Do they want him keeping up appearances?

Remember the whole "white earphones" snit on the Redmond campus (MicroSoft) years ago?

Agree. What about the safety angle though. It is a nice passive way to keep people safER: shooter, medical, etc... What happens if a disgruntled worker targets their attack around people they know can't call for help... The one's without the dot on their phone (let's just call them the non-Sneeches... LoL)

Ie: Of the 911 flight over PA. Phones were supposed to be turned off. What happens if everybody's phone was confiscated. Not that the calls helped that day... Just playing devil's advocate.

I agree... Not a right.

Weren't those calls made from the plane's air phones? I don't think cell phones worked on commercial airplanes in 2001.

Like working at MicroSoft and them banning Android and Apple phones just because it will look bad. Allowing ONLY Windows phones gets you the "star on your belly?"

I made the Dr. Seuss "Sneech" reference.

Would have worked better if you had said "star upon thars"

....and not pointed out your own reference.

There is this really cool thing that's out now. You may have heard of it. It's called.............a phone. :D

The reason is it is unsecured/unmonitored written communication. All emails go through my BD's server (are you listening Hillary). That way they can monitor what we're saying to clients but also to monitor for complaints. I cannot take trade instructions via email either. There is no way to confirm that it is in fact my client calling.

as i said, doesn't sound like a company I would want to work for...hell, I turned down an opportunity to work for a company that required business dress. I'm 53 years old, have always worn jeans and golf or polo shirts, not gonna change now....my personal preference and am fortunate enough to have been able to make those decisions. how i dress has zero impact on how i do my job, i am not customer facing.

Plenty of reasons phones not allowed in various places. Classified info, trade secrets etc. As a sales person, i have had to leave my phone and iPad in car several times depending on whom I am visiting. I am guessing this sounds like a cleared facility.

name one person that does that...i dare you!

I know people that text every day. Some days it's a little wild. It is fun .

There is this really cool thing that's out now. You may have heard of it. It's called.............a phone. :D

The reason is it is unsecured/unmonitored written communication. All emails go through my BD's server (are you listening Hillary). That way they can monitor what we're saying to clients but also to monitor for complaints. I cannot take trade instructions via email either. There is no way to confirm that it is in fact my client calling.

OP said cetain phones are allowed... That gets them the "Sneech" (my analogy) dot on their phone.

as i said, doesn't sound like a company I would want to work for...hell, I turned down an opportunity to work for a company that required business dress. I'm 53 years old, have always worn jeans and golf or polo shirts, not gonna change now....my personal preference and am fortunate enough to have been able to make those decisions. how i dress has zero impact on how i do my job, i am not customer facing.

I don't identify with my phone. It's technology, not a personality trait; unlike clothes.

There are just some policies that don't matter enough to quit. For example, they allow Yoga pants (regardless of weight limit)

Poojer - that's one, like yesterday, how was the nap after all that beer?

Cellphones are like crack for some people. It's scary driving nowadays when you see all the @$$&%#S texting/talking on their phones while driving. God forbid that they don't update their Facebook status while commuting, eating breakfast, lunch, dinner, dropping trow, etc. etc. etc.....