They should shorten NFL games.

I was just watching the Michigan State v Purdue game and it came down to the last 60 seconds. Almost every basketball game comes down to the last few seconds.

Same with NFL games. There's always that last drive, the onside kick with 45 seconds left, the quick passes and out patters to stop the clock during the "two minute drill".

So why play for 45 minute halves? They should cut it down to three 15 minute periods like hockey. Or even two 20 minute halves. It would make sense as follows:

1) We could spend more time with our families and pets

2) Less commercial timeouts would mean less advertisers and, logically, lower ticket prices

3) Less injuries - players would be exposed to less "field time" so they wouldn't be injured as severely

4) More intensity during the last minutes of a shorter period or half

Thoughts?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just watching the Michigan State v Purdue game and it came down to the last 60 seconds. Almost every basketball game comes down to the last few seconds.

Same with NFL games. There's always that last drive, the onside kick with 45 seconds left, the quick passes and out patters to stop the clock during the "two minute drill".

So why play for 45 minute halves? They should cut it down to three 15 minute periods like hockey. Or even two 20 minute halves. It would make sense as follows:

2) Less commercial timeouts would mean less advertisers and, logically, lower ticket prices

3) Less injuries - players would be exposed to less "field time" so they wouldn't be injured as severely

Thoughts?

You seem to be having trouble with the numbers.

NFL games have two 30 minute halves or four 15 minute quarters.

NHL games have three 20 minute periods.

Both games add up to 1 hour.

Nice short answer. So you're saying no?

Each quarter is 15 minutes long. I wish games could be longer even though I know that can't happen.

3 periods would completely turn the game inside out. You would have to change the kickoff rules to god knows what...

1) 16 football games a year is not preventing me from spending quality time with the people in my life.

2) Less commercials would also logically mean the game of football is withering away.

3) Injuries will always be there.

4) I don't think the intensity would be greater just because the game is shorter.

Edited by Hot Buffalo Wings

Thoughts?

No, we need plot to the story, are our attention spans this short?

How about whoever scores first, wins, and game over?

have to have at least both teams get the ball B-)

Thoughts?

Hmmm. Well, maybe if Pegula just pays the luxury tax , then the Bills can play just one quarter each game.

What the hell? No huddles. Everyone has to play every play no huddle and no time outs for any reason. It could be like speed dating. Rapid fire baby.

Ok, that was sarcasm, and Fergy, I luv you bud, but no. I;m fine with 3 hours of fun where I can go to the bathroom occasionally, can serve snacks and stuff during breaks for my family. and so on.

The game is fine the way it is constructed right now. There seems to a penchant for wanting to make changes to the game every year. Doesn't anyone like it the way it is played now. i liked some of the old ways such as kicking from the 30 and kick offs are boring now, but I understand with the $700 mil lawsuit settlement, they have to do everything possible to minimize head trauma.

i vote no more changes. my two cents.

Hmmm. Well, maybe if Pegula just pays the luxury tax , then the Bills can play just one quarter each game.

Or we could sign some better players with the extra 27 million, yes. Those players would be well rested for the third 15 minute period.

So all 53 players on the field at the same time? I'd watch that.

Why not play "half court" football. Defense plays on one half of the field against the opposing offense and the other defense/offense plays on the other end. The game could be condensed down to two 15 minute halves.

I'm not saying get rid of tailgating or Hammer's lot, but it would give us a lot more time to enjoy the pre-game analysis and post game interviews.

I understand machine gun's concerns, but when's the last time anything exciting happened at the 8:34 mark of the second period?? It just drags on. Make the game shorter and the excitement will follow.

What the hell? No huddles. Everyone has to play every play no huddle and no time outs for any reason. It could be like speed dating. Rapid fire baby.

You want to speed up the game when it's already going too fast for your HC? Are you out of your mind? This is the most outrageous thing I've seen posted at this site in ever.