Duffs

Gordio

Try steaming them for 10 minutes once thawed, then putting them in fridge for an hour. Using this method from Alton Brown, you can actually put them in oven at 425 for 40 minutes and achieve a close to fry state. Not quite there, but close enough if you want to avoid the frying. The steaming renders a food bit of fat out of the skin, allowing it to get crispier and taking the smoke away from your kitchen.

I'll try this. Normally I just can't get with Alton Brown because it seems like he adds a lot of extra somewhat needless steps to food prep (IMO). He actually has a process for making popcorn on the stove, I **** you not! But since you vouched for it Plenz, I'll give it run.

^^^This! I'm very picky about where I get my wings from, but every one in a while when traveling for work I'll get that wing craving and I will cave. I can tell immediately when places do this. One of the best things I've found for making wings at home is the fresh not frozen wings from Costco. They're packaged as a 6 pack of individual servings of about a dozen wings each. They're a bit on the small side but the taste of the fresh wings really stands out.

My Costco membership has lapsed, but I do agree fresh, not frozen wing chunks are good. Sometimes, (now that I've got a good butcher block knife set) I'll buy the "jointed" fresh ones and cut them up myself to make wings.

Interesting idea. I think I posted in another thread a while ago that I've started grilling my wings when we make them at home. Frying is too much of a hassle and the place stinks. Grill them for a good long time and while you don't have the "fried" crispiness you can get a nice crust to then toss in your favorite sauce -- or sometimes we marinate them ahead of time.

I like grilling them as well. I normally marinade them Chiavetta's or Spiedie sauce, grill them and then toss a few in wing sauce or whatever Mrs. Bullpen wants on hers. I've also smoked them before to varying degrees of success.

Some excellent insights here, folks. Thanks!

As for the escalating prices, I'm so old,(How old ARE you, Chandler?)I remember nickel wing night on Tuesday's at a couple NT Oliver Street bars.. Dem wuz da days!

I'm old enough to remember 10 cent wing nights as a child and then 25 cent wing nights. Now a days 60 cents wings is the "wing night deal." My neighborhood bar sells 6 for $7.00 and 12 for $12.00. (I don't eat wings there unless they have their half off special going).

it's interesting that you're able to perceive localness just by looking at someone. What else are you able to discern at first glance, oh perceptive one?

Oh look it's good ol chippy Beerball! It's must be the third period of a 5-1 hockey game, because the goon showed up! :nana: (Missed me didn't ya pal?)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk about chicken wings begs the question-What about boneless wings? Or are they just considered 'chicken fingers'?

Bone-in wings or GTFO for this kid. I just can't wear a white shirt while eating them... :bag:

All Duffs are not created equal. The original Duffs on Sheridan and the one on Dick road are owned by the original owners i believe, and are the best (IMO). the other others are all franchises, and your mileage may vary.

the best way to order wings at duffs (pro tip here) is "hot but not saucy". this way, they aren't swimming in sauce, but are still plenty spicy.

Something I've noticed a lot of places do that is also a sin to making good wings is frying them from frozen! Not only are they dropping the temp incredibly quickly, but they're also more moisture an already bad start and the wings have no way to crisp because of all the moisture trapped in the skin.

I thaw mine the night before and let them air dry in the fridge on a cookie rack and that really helps.

I would hope any place in WNY with wings on the menu isn't starting from frozen. That's a great tip in general even if you have thawed poultry. Patting it down with the paper towels and letting your bird sit over night in the fridge to air dry is the way for crunchy skin. Now I'm wondering if I could dry brine wings like I have with chicken and turkey.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/quick-and-dirty-guide-to-brining-turkey-chicken-thanksgiving.html

Bone-in wings or GTFO for this kid. I just can't wear a white shirt while eating them... :bag:

I'm restricted from wearing white shirts while eating Italian food.

Interesting idea. I think I posted in another thread a while ago that I've started grilling my wings when we make them at home. Frying is too much of a hassle and the place stinks. Grill them for a good long time and while you don't have the "fried" crispiness you can get a nice crust to then toss in your favorite sauce -- or sometimes we marinate them ahead of time.

I've gotten grilled wings to have a decent crunch by cooking indirect until all the fat has rendered out of the skin and then moved them over the hot coals to finish off. Its a process, but its worth it when done right.

I would hope any place in WNY with wings on the menu isn't starting from frozen. That's a great tip in general even if you have thawed poultry. Patting it down with the paper towels and letting your bird sit over night in the fridge to air dry is the way for crunchy skin. Now I'm wondering if I could dry brine wings like I have with chicken and turkey.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/quick-and-dirty-guide-to-brining-turkey-chicken-thanksgiving.html

no need to brine wings in my opinion, extra step, and to me thighs and wings are more than juicy enough.

no need to brine wings in my opinion, extra step, and to me thighs and wings are more than juicy enough.

Dry brining isn't just about juiciness. And its ridiculously easy, low effort. Wet brining is a pain.

Has anyone ever been to the smoked wings place, it's called something like CBGB (I know it isn't exactly that but it's something like that).

Punk rock and smoked wings?

it's interesting that you're able to perceive localness just by looking at someone. What else are you able to discern at first glance, oh perceptive one?

Whenever I see Tom Selleck, my gaydar goes off. It's a gift.

I'm restricted from wearing white shirts while eating Italian food.

And BBQ, and Mexican, and sloppy burger, and Italian subs, and pizza... Jeebus, I'm a menace to my laundry! I guess I can have dry toast and milk with a white shirt on and I'm safe?

I've gotten grilled wings to have a decent crunch by cooking indirect until all the fat has rendered out of the skin and then moved them over the hot coals to finish off. Its a process, but its worth it when done right.

^^^^^ nailed it! That's how I grill mine. Agreed it is a process, but sometimes "the process" gets me out of doing some other unsavory tasks like cleaning the kitchen, socializing with the in-laws, running to the store to get "just one thing."

A few years ago a golf course near my old hometown had a summer special on grilled turkey wings in wing sauce. They weren't too bad actually, you ordered them in six instead of 12.

There's a few places around here that serve smoked "Buffalo-style" wings. They're all right, but one place partial smoked 'em, then sauced 'em then grilled 'em. :thumbdown: Rendered all the sauce down to basically just the salt content leftover.

Maybe they all have Tommy hifiger clothing on.