British Lawmakers Don't Want the Redskins Playing in London

26CornerBlitz

I'm curious if behind closed doors this is strictly a business decision for Snyder or an emotional point of pride.

Interesting to me is the fact that they have the Washington Warriors trademarked for potential future use. They must know that a change is inevitable.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've asked several friends who are part or 100% American Indian, if they were offended just to be sensitive to the issue, and none took offense.

And when you asked several of your New England/West Coast white, urban, yuppie friends I bet the outrage flowed!!

Snyder missed the boat on this one.

The name is changing. Period. It might not be this year or next year, but there will be a name change.

In today's political climate there is no way the name survives. Snyder could have come out a few years ago when this started to become an issue, acknowledge the problem, get out front and change the name, look like the good guy, and make millions of dollars on merchandise.

Instead, he will fight this one to its inevitable conclusion.

I don't see Dan doing any of that, in the past or in the future.

A bunch of blowhard politicians trying to show their moral outrage over a non-issue. The owner has the right to retain the name, and there are many chiefs of various tribes who didn't want it changed because of a bigger problem. I actually understand their point. They worry their cultural imprint on this American culture is eroding, and by even these namesakes, it is a remembrance of their great culture.

I've asked several friends who are part or 100% American Indian, if they were offended just to be sensitive to the issue, and none took offense. There are some in the media who are offended, but again it is a private industries choice to keep their name and live with the consequences. It's funny as i don't see any dip in their ticket sales, sales of jersies and so on.

My advice to Roger is ignore it. It will go away.

Maybe your friends are afraid that if you do not agree you will become irrational and shoot them with your machine gun.

Sometimes people make friends who have same opinion as themselves since you have common outlook.

A bunch of blowhard politicians trying to show their moral outrage over a non-issue. The owner has the right to retain the name, and there are many chiefs of various tribes who didn't want it changed because of a bigger problem. I actually understand their point. They worry their cultural imprint on this American culture is eroding, and by even these namesakes, it is a remembrance of their great culture.

I've asked several friends who are part or 100% American Indian, if they were offended just to be sensitive to the issue, and none took offense. There are some in the media who are offended, but again it is a private industries choice to keep their name and live with the consequences. It's funny as i don't see any dip in their ticket sales, sales of jersies and so on.

My advice to Roger is ignore it. It will go away.

C'mon, MGK, you know better than to source a few friends and then represent that as typical. And when you say you don't see a dip in jersey sales, do you actual monitor jersey sales? What are the numbers?

According to a Cal State professor, 67% of Indians do feel the name is offensive. Your friends are in the minority.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/06/04/67-percent-native-americans-say-redskins-offensive-155143

The National Congress of American Indians (the nation's largest intertribal advocacy organization) says the name is offensive.

The American Indian College Fund, National Indian Child Welfare Association, National Indian Education Association, National Indian Youth Council, National Native American Law Student Association, Native American Journalists Association, and Native American Rights Fund have all said they think the name should be changed.

The tribal councils of the Cherokee Nation, the Comanche Nation of Oklahoma, the Oneida Indian Nation of New York, the Navajo Nation, the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe - among others - have all said the name is offensive and should be changed.

The Inter Tribal Council of Arizona agrees. So does the Inter-Tribal Council of the Five Civilized Tribes.

I'm glad the Brits are raising the issue. The days of making excuses for racial epithets are ending.

Edited by hondo in seattle

It warms the heart that British futbol fans have taken a break from throwing bananas on the pitch, making ape noises, and beating up 'pakis' for fun long enough to express their outrage with the Redskin moniker.

How do you feel about this situation?

C'mon, MGK, you know better than to source a few friends and then represent that as typical. And when you say you don't see a dip in jersey sales, do you actual monitor jersey sales? What are the numbers?

According to a Cal State professor, 67% of Indians do feel the name is offensive. Your friends are in the minority.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/06/04/67-percent-native-americans-say-redskins-offensive-155143

The National Congress of American Indians (the nation's largest intertribal advocacy organization) says the name is offensive.

The American Indian College Fund, National Indian Child Welfare Association, National Indian Education Association, National Indian Youth Council, National Native American Law Student Association, Native American Journalists Association, and Native American Rights Fund have all said they think the name should be changed.

The tribal councils of the Cherokee Nation, the Comanche Nation of Oklahoma, the Oneida Indian Nation of New York, the Navajo Nation, the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe - among others - have all said the name is offensive and should be changed.

The Inter Tribal Council of Arizona agrees. So does the Inter-Tribal Council of the Five Civilized Tribes.

I'm glad the Brits are raising the issue. The days of making excuses for racial epithets is ending.

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but feel that if the Native People generally find it offensive, get rid of it ("Warriors" would be better, for sure). However, I get the feeling that it's actually just being used as a "hot topic" because it's the NFL, and there is such a large audience. As soon as the name is changed, there will quickly be another issue raised, to take it's place.

Basically, I think it's being used to bring attention to Native issues in general (many of which are undoubtedly legitimate), and it might not actually be a huge issue to Natives. Of course, most wouldn't likely admit that, it's not the party line, and they have been getting lots of media attention from it, so the Councils will naturally emphasize it's importance to their people (and the media).

And it's hard to gauge how much their situation will be improved by any name change...I think not at all, and the next hot issue might not have as broad impact as an issue with a giant like the NFL...so that could mean even less coverage (the complaint box is starting to overflow, so SJW attention might be hard to hold).

It's disappointing that a football team's name seems to be the primary vehicle to draw media coverage, when there are much more important Native issues that should be considered worthy of attention.

Edited by HoF Watkins