Should the Bills tag Glenn?

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should Glenn be tagged if no long term deal is reached?

• Yes, exclusive rights tag
    • Yes, non-exclusive tag
    • Yes, transitional tag
    • No, but continue to try to sign him long term
    • No, let him walk

I do see your point - I think Glenn is a top 10 LT not a top 5 LT.... but Mario has proven himself borderline elite. He wasn't last year though and whilst the idea of cutting someone as talented as Mario doesn't exactly leave me smiling I think it is inevitable frankly.

We can't let Glenn walk tough. As much as he is not a top 5 LT - there is a such a dearth of good ones that you don't let a top 10 LT walk with no succession plan.

Is there any reason not to use the Transition Tag on him?

At worst, we have a chance to match any other team's offer.

At best, we buy ourselves time to negotiate the long-term deal.

The only other possibility is that Glenn holds out, signs the deal late, and plays out the season.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any reason not to use the Transition Tag on him?

At worst, we have a chance to match any other team's offer.

At best, we buy ourselves time to negotiate the long-term deal.

The only other possibility is that Glenn holds out, signs the deal late, and plays out the season.

With the transition tag, you risk the chance of losing Glenn if he's offered something they silly cannot match. Though that specifically wouldn't hurt them, the lost time when they could pursue a FA replacement does.

For those in favor of keeping Mario and letting Glenn go, can you explain your reasoning?

Glenn is young and has basically gotten better every year. Mario is in the twilight of his career and seemingly played without any heart last season. You could argue that he detracted from the defense last year with his public whining.

I'll try to explain... at the same cap number of about 14M I'd rather keep Mario on for ONE more year than have Glenn for ONE more year. (granted they'd have more time to work on a deal with Glenn with the tag)

Cap Hit would be almost the same for next year...

I'd rather (best case scenario) get Glenn signed long term and we'd have to let Mario go in that case to free up room for Gilmore/Richie. I wouldn't want Mario to go, but it'd be the best case to have those 2 or 3 guys than just Mario.

I just see Mario having a good bounce back year, and I understand potential, but I don't see Glenn as a top 5 LT. I'd hate to lose a top 10 LT though, so it would make more sense to try to keep Glenn long term and take a gamble if they don't work something out to Franchise and try again the next season.

My point was if it works like Byrd did and Glenn bolts, I'd rather have Mario at 14M next season than Glenn at 14M next season...

Regarding Mario, if he stays with the Bills, I'd expect him to play in '16 like he did in '15. He clearly doesn't like the scheme and coaching staff. Which makes him a negative locker room presence. I say let him go.

Regarding Cordy, while he's not the best LT in the league, he's the best tackle LT we have and not easily replaced. We can't let the line go backwards. I say sign him to a 4/5 year contract.

I'll try to explain... at the same cap number of about 14M I'd rather keep Mario on for ONE more year than have Glenn for ONE more year. (granted they'd have more time to work on a deal with Glenn with the tag)

Cap Hit would be almost the same for next year...

I'd rather (best case scenario) get Glenn signed long term and we'd have to let Mario go in that case to free up room for Gilmore/Richie. I wouldn't want Mario to go, but it'd be the best case to have those 2 or 3 guys than just Mario.

I just see Mario having a good bounce back year, and I understand potential, but I don't see Glenn as a top 5 LT. I'd hate to lose a top 10 LT though, so it would make more sense to try to keep Glenn long term and take a gamble if they don't work something out to Franchise and try again the next season.

My point was if it works like Byrd did and Glenn bolts, I'd rather have Mario at 14M next season than Glenn at 14M next season...

Expecting a bounce-back year seems like blindfolded Bills fan optimism. Something I'm guilty of myself every off-season.

I'm trying hard to be see things clearly this year without my normal red, white and royal blue lenses. If you can find good reasons to believe in a bounce-back year for Mario, please share them.

The "logic", if we can even call it that, for comparing M.Williams and C.Glenn is tenuous at best. Williams is under contract through 2017. For 2016, he would count $19.9m against the cap if we keep him or $7.0m if released. For 2017, he would count $16.5m. There is no tagging Williams this year or next. It's irrelevant to the discussion. He vastly under performed against his contract last year and enters this year approaching that age where performance is expected to trail off. Glenn, on the other hand, has improved every year and has many years left before he'll need to be replaced. To boot, Mario doesn't want to renegotiate his contract. So while it's super easy to say that you would "rather have Mario for one year at $14m than Cordy for the same price, it is extremely highly unlikely that it will even be an option. I hope they get deals done for Glenn and Incognito and go from there. If Mario wants to stick to his contract at a price of $19.9m against the cap, he's gone and good riddance.

Regarding Mario, if he stays with the Bills, I'd expect him to play in '16 like he did in '15. He clearly doesn't like the scheme and coaching staff. Which makes him a negative locker room presence. I say let him go.

This. Let's say we finally make the playoffs this year. Is this a guy you want on your team? A prima donna who might or might not feel like giving his all in that game? Can you imagine how this board would explode if he takes plays off and we lose the game we've been craving for 17 years by, say... a field goal? I'd rather have a hungry rookie or FA who is half as good, but has heart and tries 100% of the time.

The bottom line is this. Who is more productive right now? Glenn in Roman's offense or Mario in Rex's defense? I think this answer is clear. Glenn in Roman's offense. We just saw what each can do in these situations and one did remarkably well and the other failed miserably. If you have to tag Glenn to keep him here, clear the room with Mario and tag him.

Edited by SoggyHog

The bottom line is this. Who is more important to THIS team right now? Glenn in Roman's offense or Mario in Rex's defense? I think this answer is clear. Glenn in Roman's offense. We just saw what each can do in these situations and one did remarkably well and the other failed miserably. If you have to tag Glenn to keep him here, clear the room with Mario and tag him.

On the offense side I will note that kromer has done a lot with mid/late rounders through the years. Guys like bushrod, streif and on the inside nicks, Evans, etc....

I wouldn't advocate getting rid of Glenn but that might be something to consider if things take a left turn in negotiations

I'm in the minority, but I think I'd rather have Mario Williams than Cordy Glenn if we have to use the tag... Same cost about 14M.

If it comes to Franchise tag I'd say let Glenn walk and keep Williams if you have to choose between the two.

Best case is that Doug resigns Glenn and don't eat up the full 14M in cap space, and unfortunately Mario will be cut to help sign Gilmore/Richie...

I totally disagree. I don't absolve Rex for how Mario played completely but you can't put trust in Mario over Glenn - just on that aspect alone. You don't let a 26 year old fantastic left tackle go - especially when the cap is going up approximately 10 million.

I hear ya, qblax16, but I am with TT concerning the above. Additionally, and forgive me if I am missing something, but isn't Mario going to be 19 million against our cap if we keep him? Considering he may want out I doubt he is going to do a thing to reduce that amount unless it is coughing up more money to him now, which I don't think is a good investment, nor benefits us cap wise going forward.

is anyone else worried about giving him a long term deal in case his "good kidney" has problems?

This is just as good of an excuse as someone who has torn an ACL. You could probably find questionable health issues about all players. Good kidney, good knee, etc.

Idt there is any health concerns with Glenn than there would be with anyone else

The "logic", if we can even call it that, for comparing M.Williams and C.Glenn is tenuous at best. Williams is under contract through 2017. For 2016, he would count $19.9m against the cap if we keep him or $7.0m if released. For 2017, he would count $16.5m. There is no tagging Williams this year or next. It's irrelevant to the discussion. He vastly under performed against his contract last year and enters this year approaching that age where performance is expected to trail off. Glenn, on the other hand, has improved every year and has many years left before he'll need to be replaced. To boot, Mario doesn't want to renegotiate his contract. So while it's super easy to say that you would "rather have Mario for one year at $14m than Cordy for the same price, it is extremely highly unlikely that it will even be an option. I hope they get deals done for Glenn and Incognito and go from there. If Mario wants to stick to his contract at a price of $19.9m against the cap, he's gone and good riddance.

I totally missed that... 20M vs 13.5M is a huge difference... I think one of the posters is right just blind optimism. The guy does play better with some motivation, and when everyone tells him he sucks he decides to play like a beast.

With Rex Def, we can find an edge rusher that will allow creative blitzing to get to the QB, so 20Million for Mario is really too much...

You've all convinced me... I just was a believer in M. Williams when he came to Buffalo, and still want to believe in him. (Also don't want to throw away his jersey...)

Edited by qblax16

Everyone on this website is always trying to prove themselves the ultimate football intellect by telling everyone how important the offensive line is. Well now we have an elite player at the most important position on the offensive line and some of those very same people appear to be undervaluing him. You pay the guy whatever it takes. Period, end of story. Tag him, pay him now, whatever. As long as he continues to wear a Bills uniform.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I totally missed that... 20M vs 13.5M is a huge difference... I think one of the posters is right just blind optimism. The guy does play better with some motivation, and when everyone tells him he sucks he decides to play like a beast.

With Rex Def, we can find an edge rusher that will allow creative blitzing to get to the QB, so 20Million for Mario is really too much...

You've all convinced me... I just was a believer in M. Williams when he came to Buffalo, and still want to believe in him. (Also don't want to throw away his jersey...)

NBD from me. Do think about this though. If the Bills get a true 2-gap NT to play the middle. Dareus can focus on pass rushing. I personally think he's good enough to be a force on the edge. He's a 5 technique DT as it is, so vastly under utilized.