Vic C's BN piece--really rips Rex as defensive coach

dave mcbride

I can't understand why Vic's article has summoned now-123 responses.

It tells us virtually nothing we didn't already know, and like many of his since-debunked gotcha moments, it comes entirely from anonymous sources.

CONCLUSION: people who signed up for this website will cling to any/all variables to justify their wanton desire for Rex Ryan to be thought of as a failure.

That's nice.

Ooooh, Wanton Desires! Pick me, pick me! I wanna cling to those Wanton Desires! Pick me!

Don't be silly, Cat, no one desires RR to be thought of as a failure. By some metrics, he in fact did fail last year - he said we were going to the playoffs, we didn't. He said #4 D was disappointing with the players he had, the D did worse. Anyone who points these things out, but is a true-blue Bills Fan, would like nothing else than to be proven wrong next year. I feel fairly certain we would all line up with a cheerful prance and a SEG for our personal helping of Crow Pie.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be silly, Cat, no one desires RR to be thought of as a failure. By some metrics, he in fact did fail last year - he said we were going to the playoffs, we didn't. He said #4 D was disappointing with the players he had, the D did worse. Anyone who points these things out, but is a true-blue Bills Fan, would like nothing else than to be proven wrong next year. I feel fairly certain we would all line up with a cheerful prance and a SEG for our personal helping of Crow Pie.

Maybe a better choice of words would be condemning Rex Ryan a failure. It is obvious Rex Ryan didn't meet expectations regarding the win/loss record and restarted a defense that made it regress. But saying he is a failure after one season is way premature.

There are plenty of bad things to say about Rex's work in buffalo. But what about the good? When Rex was hired, the joke was Rex is a great defensive coach, but he can't get a good offense going and can't develop a QB worth anything. So he comes to buffalo, and he probably ends up getting one of the best offenses he has had as a HC, and arguably a good QB with a good OC.

Rex over came his biggest weakness that everyone said he couldn't do regarding the offense. No one questioned his defensive mind before the season started. Yeah, this was a season worth forgeting as far as defense goes. But looking at his history, it would be very unusual for his defense to be outside the top ten in consecutive years. Im thinking we see a much better defense next year. Anyone that doesn't think the defense will be great next year is solely basing their opinion off of last season alone and not Ryan's whole body of work.

Ryan wasn't a top choice for me for HC. But people saying that it is a done deal that he has failed and should be ousted are being ridiculous and over reacting

You're usually quite funny

This one, Hmmmm, not so much

not trying to be funny.. Pegula may know fracking, but he doesn't seem to know squat about running sports franchises.. and i can count on one finger the number of middle-aged Korean women are in on NFL FO decisions. but hey, lets be all PC and pretend both she and her husband have a clue.

they've screwed this team up for years to come with their Ryan hire.

Maybe a better choice of words would be condemning Rex Ryan a failure. It is obvious Rex Ryan didn't meet expectations regarding the win/loss record and restarted a defense that made it regress. But saying he is a failure after one season is way premature.

There are plenty of bad things to say about Rex's work in buffalo. But what about the good? When Rex was hired, the joke was Rex is a great defensive coach, but he can't get a good offense going and can't develop a QB worth anything. So he comes to buffalo, and he probably ends up getting one of the best offenses he has had as a HC, and arguably a good QB with a good OC.

Rex over came his biggest weakness that everyone said he couldn't do regarding the offense. No one questioned his defensive mind before the season started. Yeah, this was a season worth forgeting as far as defense goes. But looking at his history, it would be very unusual for his defense to be outside the top ten in consecutive years. Im thinking we see a much better defense next year. Anyone that doesn't think the defense will be great next year is solely basing their opinion off of last season alone and not Ryan's whole body of work.

Ryan wasn't a top choice for me for HC. But people saying that it is a done deal that he has failed and should be ousted are being ridiculous and over reacting

It's not way premature in my view.

It wasn't just the overall defense regressing as the 2015 Buffalo Bills were the 2nd worst team in the NFL in penalties. The team that was worst fired their HC. What stays in my mind was the 7 first downs the Bills defense gave the NY Giants offense among others.

The defensive play calls coming in late!

Player substitutions coming in late! and so much so that the slower teams would hurry to the line to catch the Bills not ready.

Defensive players jumping around on the line so that when the ball was snapped they would be out of position.

Special teams went into the toilet this past year in every aspect.So many penalties on the offense too. In general, the team overall was undisciplined for a lot of the season. The 2015 Bills played their best against this HC's former team for revenge. Now will that revenge factor keep going?

The only bright spots were from the new OC hire and the offensive players. Most notably Tyrod Taylor at QB who was the polar opposite of Geno Smith in not turning the ball over like Geno did to kill his Jets team. A very complex run scheme that didn't require the players to scratch their heads and say WTF or they didn't understand the complex offense, complain about how they were being used. Save Sammy, who spoke up and started seeing more targets.

Somehow Rex Ryan managed to ruin the Jets team he inherited that he went to the AFC championship 2x his first two years. Then he ruined that rookie QB in Mark Sanchez who took those teams to the playoffs. And another rookie QB in Geno Smith went 8-8 his first year and then became a turnover machine his next going 3-10 his next year. I kind of shudder to think of what will happen to Tyrod this year under Ryan.

This current HC proclaimed playoffs! He proclaimed the #4 defense with this much talent was nothing and that he would do better, he didn't! Ask the Jets fans about all the broken promises.

Good head coaches generally come into a team and make them better...not worse! All I see is delaying the inevitable.

Seems a little one-sided, and I don't buy that the Pegulas thought Schwartz was staying. If they really wanted him to stay they wouldn't have hired Rex. That's not a match at all. Even if Rex had kept him it wouldn't have made sense. Not how Rex coaches.... He calls the plays. They have very different defensive philosophies. The anonymous coach may be accurately portraying some things. I have no idea. Otherwise, nothing new was presented in the article that hasn't been hashed and rehashed a thousand times.

I have never thought Vic was a poor writer. I have thought he may have a poor source on some things.

if the article is true, then the Pegs are naive and don't know what they are doing, at least when it comes to knowing how to read people, and how to hire an NFL head coach. But they did save the franchise and overpaid for franchise so they could give it back to the fans who would have lost it otherwise. The Bills would have met the Rams fate eventually. So just because they don't know how to hire people, well that piece has to be overlooked... they saved the franchise without question.

a couple years of a crappy defensive transition bc the owner is naive and inexperienced is a small price to pay for saving the franchise. Let it go. Rex is our guy, warts and all. Whaley is solid, Roman is solid, they have talent on both sides of the ball. no more days of Losman and undrafted starters, high school offensive coordinators, and Buddy Nix. See the positive, people.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

It's not way premature in my view.

It wasn't just the overall defense regressing as the 2015 Buffalo Bills were the 2nd worst team in the NFL in penalties. The team that was worst fired their HC. What stays in my mind was the 7 first downs the Bills defense gave the NY Giants offense among others.

The defensive play calls coming in late!

Player substitutions coming in late! and so much so that the slower teams would hurry to the line to catch the Bills not ready.

Defensive players jumping around on the line so that when the ball was snapped they would be out of position.

Special teams went into the toilet this past year in every aspect.So many penalties on the offense too. In general, the team overall was undisciplined for a lot of the season. The 2015 Bills played their best against this HC's former team for revenge. Now will that revenge factor keep going?

The only bright spots were from the new OC hire and the offensive players. Most notably Tyrod Taylor at QB who was the polar opposite of Geno Smith in not turning the ball over like Geno did to kill his Jets team. A very complex run scheme that didn't require the players to scratch their heads and say WTF or they didn't understand the complex offense, complain about how they were being used. Save Sammy, who spoke up and started seeing more targets.

Somehow Rex Ryan managed to ruin the Jets team he inherited that he went to the AFC championship 2x his first two years. Then he ruined that rookie QB in Mark Sanchez who took those teams to the playoffs. And another rookie QB in Geno Smith went 8-8 his first year and then became a turnover machine his next going 3-10 his next year. I kind of shudder to think of what will happen to Tyrod this year under Ryan.

This current HC proclaimed playoffs! He proclaimed the #4 defense with this much talent was nothing and that he would do better, he didn't! Ask the Jets fans about all the broken promises.

Good head coaches generally come into a team and make them better...not worse! All I see is delaying the inevitable.

Regarding the special teams, they had the exact same coaches they had the year before.

Like I said, problems with the defense shouldn't carry over into the next season. Rex Ryan was coaching top defenses even before his jets days. Based on his history, he has only been outside the top ten in defense one before last year. To think his defense wont be good this year you would have to ignore his entire history and just base an opinion on last year which is absurd.

And Rex Ryan ruined Mark Sanchez? I don't think Sanchez had any value other than a body to hand the ball off to people. I dont think many people would argue that sanchez failed because of rex, and same with Geno.

The Penalties are probably the biggest issue from last year that may carry over into this season. That is one thing they didn't really have an answer for and I don't like the chances of them fixing that issue.

Condemning a coach after 1 season is ridiculous and an over reaction.

That will NEVER happen.

Carroll can draft a guy in the fifth round because he fits his prototype of size and speed and then coaches them up to fit his defense. Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor say hello.

If the talent isn't already there in the player Rex Ryan can't coach up anything or anyone. First round picks Quinten Couples, Dee Milner say hello. Oh wait, his proclivity for feet will say it was all the GM's fault

That's what we thought about Bylsma when he won the Stanley cup and many winning seasons. So in couple yrs when Rex is out and Seattle declines don't be surprised When Ol' Petey is introduced as the new HC of the Buffalo Bills!

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

I can't understand why Vic's article has summoned now-123 responses.

It tells us virtually nothing we didn't already know, and like many of his since-debunked gotcha moments, it comes entirely from anonymous sources.

CONCLUSION: people who signed up for this website will cling to any/all variables to justify their wanton desire for Rex Ryan to be thought of as a failure.

That's nice.

Oh c'mon. If it was in fact Donnie Henderson who said those things, that's news. I know you've made it your thing to go after those who criticize Ryan, but no one here wants the Bills to fail under Rex. Most fans on this board aren't dumb; they're reacting to facts on the ground.

not trying to be funny.. Pegula may know fracking, but he doesn't seem to know squat about running sports franchises.. and i can count on one finger the number of middle-aged Korean women are in on NFL FO decisions. but hey, lets be all PC and pretend both she and her husband have a clue.

You can make all of those points without making an apparent analogy between Terry Pegula and the late John Lennon, or between Kim Pegula, a Korean orphan adopted and raised by white American parents in America-which makes her American, not Korean - and Yoko Ono, a Tokyo-raised Japanese artist. Korea and Japan are not of a muchness, and Korean ethnic features do not make an American Korean.

As for the woman in on NFL FO decisions, Georgia Frontiere gave my spiritualist a message for you. She said to remind you she was initially belittled and even harassed as being unable to run a football team as she gently waved her Superbowl ring and alluded to the Rams 25 postseason appearances and 3 Superbowl appearances under her 3 decade aegis as owner.

Kim and Terry may succeed, they may not succeed, they may learn to delegate and bow out of actual sports decisions (Frontiere eventually did) or they may not. But either way will be because of their own qualities as leaders, not because you don't see other "middle aged Korean women" in the Sports ownership game.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and crap talk is just crap talk, and saying "let's be all PC" to mean "you're just being PC and I'm a manly man beyond such stuff" doesn't change either.

Edited by Hopeful

You can make all of those points without making an apparent analogy between Terry Pegula and the late John Lennon, or between Kim Pegula, a Korean orphan adopted and raised by white American parents in America-which makes her American, not Korean - and Yoko Ono, a Tokyo-raised Japanese artist. Korea and Japan are not of a muchness, and Korean ethnic features do not make an American Korean.

As for the woman in on NFL FO decisions, Georgia Frontiere gave my spiritualist a message for you. She said to remind you she was initially belittled and even harassed as being unable to run a football team as she gently waved her Superbowl ring and alluded to the Rams 25 postseason appearances and 3 Superbowl appearances under her 3 decade aegis as owner.

Kim and Terry may succeed, they may not succeed, they may learn to delegate and bow out of actual sports decisions (Frontiere eventually did) or they may not. But either way will be because of their own qualities as leaders, not because you don't see other "middle aged Korean women" in the Sports ownership game.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and crap talk is just crap talk, and saying "let's be all PC" to mean "you're just being PC and I'm a manly man beyond such stuff" doesn't change either.

I do think an element of "we can't criticize the Pegula's decisions because they bought the Bills," does exist. Wouldn't necessarily call that a PC thing, however.

Oh c'mon. If it was in fact Donnie Henderson who said those things, that's news. I know you've made it your thing to go after those who criticize Ryan, but no one here wants the Bills to fail under Rex. Most fans on this board aren't dumb; they're reacting to facts on the ground.

i don't think it was Henderson because of what was said and when he said it. I'm pretty sure he knows the defense's stats and wouldn't publically trash his own work when he's still looking for a job. It sounded like a coach who was there under Schwartz and was not there this past year. Henderson was the only holdover iirc.

My "thing?" I criticize ideas, not people.

I will however question the motive behind burning calories on something that makes you miserable.

Whatcha mean "will;" he already is.

because it's idiocy to completely dismiss the idea, that he manages some success, all together.

Or more matter of factly, his tenure as the Head Coach of the Bills is not over so "will" is the appropriate word.

Jesus, man...

I will however question the motive behind burning calories on something that makes you miserable.

You really think it is that simple to just quit on your team because they make you miserable? If it was that easy we wouldn't all still be here posting and debating whether the defense should play more man or zone or whether we should rush 3 or 4 or 5..... we come to this forum and debate those things because even though at times this team makes us miserable we can't quit it. If I just wanted to be happy all the time I'd go support a team that wins all the time - I don't. I will stick with the Bills through thick and thin thinking all the miserable will eventually be worth the excitement and delight.

who cares where she is from?

if the article is true, then the Pegs are naive and don't know what they are doing, at least when it comes to knowing how to read people, and how to hire an NFL head coach. But they did save the franchise and overpaid for franchise so they could give it back to the fans who would have lost it otherwise. The Bills would have met the Rams fate eventually. So just because they don't know how to hire people, well that piece has to be overlooked... they saved the franchise without question.

a couple years of a crappy defensive transition bc the owner is naive and inexperienced is a small price to pay for saving the franchise. Let it go. Rex is our guy, warts and all. Whaley is solid, Roman is solid, they have talent on both sides of the ball. no more days of Losman and undrafted starters, high school offensive coordinators, and Buddy Nix. See the positive, people.

good post!

I remember reading a post a year ago on here about Schwartz being upset that the Bills went with Ryan over and offensive minded coach. His departure was set.

I for one loved the idea of Rex being here, and still do. I just wished he would pull his head out of his *** and put together a dominating 'bully' he said he would.