Vic C's BN piece--really rips Rex as defensive coach

dave mcbride

there have been a few games where i looked at stats afterwards and was really surprised. the giants one this year, for instance. i suspect for many the raiders game would be likewise due to the massive expectations after GB and Den. it was a big let down, but it wasnt an implosion where the defense suddenly got devoured.

Yes. We expected a shut out and instead we just got a good defensive performance, after losing our defensive MVP, and somehow, that means Schwartz stinks.

Edited by FireChan

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there have been a few games where i looked at stats afterwards and was really surprised. the giants one this year, for instance. i suspect for many the raiders game would be likewise due to the massive expectations after GB and Den. it was a big let down, but it wasnt an implosion where the defense suddenly got devoured.

You have a team with the 26th ranked total offense and the #4 ranked defense and fans want to blame the defense for allowing a very lucky big play in a series that also allowed a score. :doh:

You simply can't keep giving up the ball series after series and expect a defense that is out on the field all day to keep contain. The Oakland Raiders had the better time of possession 26:13 to 33:47 simply because Buffalo couldn't or wouldn't establish any form of a proper run game. Yes, that was against a very crappy 3-12 team.

Take that #4 defense from 2014 and pair them with the number one in the league 2015 rushing offense and that 2014 Buffalo Defense would in all probability be even better. Say #1 overall better, say 2015 Denver Bronco Better!!

It didn't. It had a below par day against the run but they were not helped by an atrocious offensive display.

and some very very important missed tackles up the middle. and yes the defense got pooped out due to the "lack of " offense.

But I still blame the defense that day. And why did it just seem as simple as MD not being on the field?

Excellent points. Yes, it seemed evident to me that the quality of the preparation and the team's focus varied greatly from week to week.

Re Mario, I do think his coaches are reluctant to publically throw a player under the bus so I take what they say with a grain of salt, but I do feel he was being positioned in the media as the "fall guy" for problems on D that went far beyond him, and I don't respect that.

I do not care to agree with our Nihilistic Nihilarian even when he is correct

But i do have no issue with crediting you for reasonable commentary.

Mario was not The Reason ,he was an affected feature of things gone wrong

Yes. We expected a shut out and instead we just got a good defensive performance, after losing our defensive MVP, and somehow, that means Schwartz stinks.

context. The plays that beat us were dramatic. it was not an all day long beat down.

Edited by 3rdand12

I believe in Rex.

I find it impossible to fathom that he now cannot coach a defense.

He absolutely can still coach a defense as it showed up in certain games last year! He can also game plan, play call an effective game even with a depleted roster...when he is motivated to do so!

I suppose that the 5 mill per isn't enough to motivate the old bumptious man and he needed revenge to be a factor in a big way. I can only wonder if that revenge factor will still even be there in 2016? Then considering how much revenge does factor into what motivates this man. I also wonder if the screwed up defensive game plan we all saw for most of 2015 was revenge for Buffalo beating his sorry arse 2x in 2014?

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/11/13/9728318/rex-ryan-bills-jets-win-dumped-him

I believe in Rex.

I find it impossible to fathom that he now cannot coach a defense.

Impossible to fathom? He proved last season that he could not coach THIS defense. He took away their pass rush, aggression, and discipline. Sacks were down more than 60%. Penalties were through the roof, no? So what did Whaley and Brandon do? They let him hire his brother who nobody else wanted.

What a mess. :(

Edited by Bill from NYC

Impossible to fathom? He proved last season that he could not coach THIS defense. He took away their pass rush, aggression, and discipline. Sacks were down more than 60%. Penalties were through the roof, no? So what did Whaley and Brandon do? They let him hire his brother who nobody else wanted.

What a mess. :(

Ask the Jets if they are glad that they replaced Rex? The before and after with the Jets is self-evident. The before and after with the Bills is also self-evident. The hiring never made sense to me. No matter how engaging he is as a person and how sparkling he could be in an interview setting he had a large enough body of work to examine that should have disqualified him from even being interviewed.

I don't know if Brandon or Whaley was pushing him as a candidate but ultimately the owners are responsible for this hire. Now the Ryan saga has to play itself out. I would love for him to be successful but I'm not counting on it. Who knows how things will turn out? Who would have bet on Trump as a republican nominee?

Ask the Jets if they are glad that they replaced Rex? The before and after with the Jets is self-evident. The before and after with the Bills is also self-evident. The hiring never made sense to me. No matter how engaging he is as a person and how sparkling he could be in an interview setting he had a large enough body of work to examine that should have disqualified him from even being interviewed.

I don't know if Brandon or Whaley was pushing him as a candidate but ultimately the owners are responsible for this hire. Now the Ryan saga has to play itself out. I would love for him to be successful but I'm not counting on it. Who knows how things will turn out? Who would have bet on Trump as a republican nominee?

The Jets before and after. You mean the Jets before and after Rex? Or the Jets before and after they signed a QB/WR duo that broke numerous franchise records? Or were you talking about the Jets before and after they brought back any semblance of talent in their defensive secondary? Or is the Jets before and after Geno Smith got his jaw broke?

The Jets before and after. You mean the Jets before and after Rex? Or the Jets before and after they signed a QB/WR duo that broke numerous franchise records? Or were you talking about the Jets before and after they brought back any semblance of talent in their defensive secondary? Or is the Jets before and after Geno Smith got his jaw broke?

Rex had a six year stint with the Jets. Overall he had a losing record. The qb that the HC had who replaced Rex was Fitz. He certainly stabilized the position but he was nothing special.

If you believe that Rex is a good coach then go ahead and believe. I'm not sure what you can base it on.. In his first year with the Bills most people would consider the team that he coach underachieved. If you don't want to accept that assessment then believe what you want.

For some people excuses are in such great supply that can't be exhausted. Excuses are made why Rex lost with the Jets. Excuses are made why the replacing HC did dramatically better. Excuses are then transferred to the next team Rex went to. It never ends. How about assessing people on how they perform? How about judging the record? Is that so unfair?

The constant resorting to excuses to justify one's opinion has turned into a neurosis.How about getting back to the basics and evaluate this troubled franchise like every other franchise is judged i.e. on the team's record and performance. For some people down is up and bad is good and ineptitude is competency and dumb is smart. It's a world of delusion that I am not going to be sucked into.

Edited by JohnC

Rex had a six year stint with the Jets. Overall he had a losing record. The qb that the HC had who replaced Rex was Fitz. He certainly stabilized the position but he was nothing special.

If you believe that Rex is a good coach then go ahead and believe. I'm not sure what you can base it on.. In his first year with the Bills most people would consider the team that he coach underachieved. If you don't want to accept that assessment then believe what you want.

For some people excuses are in such great supply that can't be exhausted. Excuses are made why Rex lost with the Jets. Excuses are made why the replacing HC did dramatically better. Excuses are then transferred to the next team Rex went to. It never ends. How about assessing people on how they perform? How about judging the record? Is that so unfair?

The constant resorting to excuses to justify one's opinion has turned into a neurosis.How about getting back to the basics and evaluate this troubled franchise like every other franchise is judged i.e. on the team's record and performance. For some people down is up and bad is good and ineptitude is competency and dumb is smart. It's a world of delusion that I am not going to be sucked into.

I'm starting to think you're not a Rex Ryan fan. I'm not sure though, you keep hiding the ball.

I'm starting to think you're not a Rex Ryan fan. I'm not sure though, you keep hiding the ball.

Anyone who says that I am biased against Rex is correct. I felt that he was a mediocre coach with the Jets as his losing record indicates. My negative opinion of him was reinforced after what I witnessed last year.

I don't root against the Bills, the players or the coaches. I want the team to succeed. But I'm not going to rationalize away what is obvious to me with respect to Rex's coaching talents. His hiring made no sense to me then and it still doesn't. However, I do wish that Rex succeeds with us, improbable as it may be.

My sig line says it all. The only guy on the D improved from last year was Manuel Lawson. We all thought he sucked under Schwartz, but he was all over the field last year. So Rex has that going for him. But when you look at the D-line, PB, Nigel, etc, just about everybody took a step (or 10) back.

I was having dinner with a friend and Bills fan in Houston today. He wanted to know what people thought of Rex. I said it's about 50-50 between like him or fire him now. For me, the KC game was the tipping point. The ridiculous waste of the Bills challenges on meaningless plays tore it for me. Then I got into the failure to install a 2-minute offense for Tyrod, simple things like calling two plays in the huddle. Then I got into the failure to think ahead two plays on third and short, throwing a pass instead of two running plays on 3rd and 4th down. Then I got into the failure to get the ball to Sammy. Then I got into the failure to....

Edited by Freddie's Dead

Anyone who says that I am biased against Rex is correct. I felt that he was a mediocre coach with the Jets as his losing record indicates. My negative opinion of him was reinforced after what I witnessed last year.

I don't root against the Bills, the players or the coaches. I want the team to succeed. But I'm not going to rationalize away what is obvious to me with respect to Rex's coaching talents. His hiring made no sense to me then and it still doesn't. However, I do wish that Rex succeeds with us, improbable as it may be.

I'm with you. It's just - at this point, he's not going anywhere for at least 2016, we might as well sit tight and see what happens, no?

When an opinion doesn't match yours, those points are "excuses."

An established record over a significant period of time isn't an opinion, it's a fact.

And it just worth re-stating that Rex hasn't had a winning season in FIVE years. I am not sure how many excuses have piled up in that time... but eventually you have to look at the one constant surely?

In that period he has had:

3 different GMs

2 different DCs

4 different OCs

4 different starting Quarterbacks..... (excluding those who only started because of injury)

Eventually surely you have to start to think Rex might be the problem?

And it just worth re-stating that Rex hasn't had a winning season in FIVE years. I am not sure how many excuses have piled up in that time... but eventually you have to look at the one constant surely?

In that period he has had:

3 different GMs

2 different DCs

4 different OCs

4 different starting Quarterbacks..... (excluding those who only started because of injury)

Eventually surely you have to start to think Rex might be the problem?

No, actually. The evidence you cite is a perfectly reasonable answer as to why he's struggled to win.

No, actually. The evidence you cite is a perfectly reasonable answer as to why he's struggled to win.

I didn't suggest mine was the only interpretation of that evidence. For me the most likely interpretation is that it is the one constant who is a major part of the problem.... unsurprisingly you take a different view of the evidence. Personally I find your interpretation less persuasive but I accept it is not completely unreasonable.