McCoy's nightclub fight and the ongoing investigation

lowghen

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've heard from bouncers, it doesn't matter. Once fights start to break out they can shut down an evening, and they usually don't spend much time differentiating.

I've actually heard the opposite...and that the police are given the benefit of the doubt (for practical reasons - they're the ones that respond to disturbances in the club.)

Given that this club was near a police precinct (and possibly a police bar, for all I know), I wouldn't be at all surprised if the bouncers supported the cops.

I guess I'm just failing to notice that buzz that goes around the room when a cop walks into the club. Everyone must be containing their excitement and waiting to hit them up for autographs and pose with them for selfies when I'm not looking.

By your standard I guess we're all "somebody" when we go out.

I'd say there is a good chance that the bouncers already knew that they were cops or that the cops told them they were cops. Before getting thrown out, that is.

hoodrat goes hoodrat on Twitter. Kds to the rescue of this fair maiden, who speaks of herpes and penis size.

Hoodrat goes hoodrat, and immature punk goes immature punk. Not defending the woman at all in this. I just used that example of what a POS McCoy is. Someone asked, so I gave them the link.

And let's be honest. The only reason you and others are defending McCoy is because of the uniform he currently wears. If he was a player for any other team, you'd be calling him a POS too. You know it, and I know it.

Edited by KDS73

I don't know about you, but I get hit up for autographs when I go out.

Happens less now that I've grown older and look less like Nathan Fillion. But there's a few "Nathan Fillion" autographs out there that aren't his.

You are out of touch. You think you are giving them an autograph but in reality you are signing to pay their bills. Your reputation is gaining steam that you are an easy touch. You need to bring a support team when you go out in public because it is known that you are an easy prey.

The police have gotten hold of some new footage of a phone video that should give some clarity to what actually happened at the club.

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/02/22/skate-maloley-chaos-venue-security-webster-hall/21316711/?icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl12%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-592015554

Reporter explains "why Shady may walk" on 94WIP

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/02/22/why-shady-may-walk-wip/

well whaddya know?

still far from telling the true story. But as so many have mentioned we may never know the details.

is this the first " witness " comment?

I would strongly disagree with the idea that cops, even if they're off-duty, are "nobodies." Maybe not at Shady's stature, but certainly somebodies.

I would guess some degree of " respect " is shown to both parties.

If this is able to be proven, i will retract my statement about Goodell imposing a 4 game susp

Edited by 3rdand12

I don't know what clubs you guys go to. I'm friends with a lot of cops and bouncers. Everyone involved gets bounced in a situation like this regardless of how famous they are or if their a cop or not.

I also don't know a single cop that goes into a bar and then walks up to a bouncer to tell them they're a cop. Literally the only reason i have ever seena cop do something like this is if they have a firearm on them and don't want the bouncers (security if at a stadium or something else) to freak out.

well whaddya know?

still far from telling the true story. But as so many have mentioned we may never know the details.

I would guess some degree of " respect " is shown to both parties.

If this is able to be proven, i will retract my statement about Goodell imposing a 4 game susp

Although what actually happened in the club is muddled and may never be completely sorted out what isn't muddled is that the pummeled cops did so many things out of line with their obligations as on or off duty cops that their credibility is easily challenged.

Another interesting fact that I wasn't aware of (if true) was that McCoy was not thrown out of the club. He may have regrouped with his friends who were thrown out but according to the reporter he wasn't asked to leave.

Supposedly these cops were drinking prior to the event at another club. There is the DWI issues related to them (if they were driving an unmarked police vehicle/s and drinking there are compounding issues) and there is the issue of going to a hospital that (I'm not sure) may not have been in the city or far enough from the scene that the hospital staff wouldn't have reported the injuries to the police. It wouldn't be surprising that the injured cops didn't tell the hospital staff that they were police because they didn't want the incident to be reported and they wanted more time to sober up.

It's reported that the police are pressuring the DA to file charges. But what is going to happen is that the DA is going to challenge the police to find out how much drinking was going on before and after the event and find out if the injured cops identified themselves to the treating medical staff as cops and what was the explanation they gave the doctors as to how they got hurt.

In a case like this is the police are known by their own peers and by the people who frequent the same drinking and club establishments that they socialize in. So the manner in which they generally conduct themselves will come out. If they have a history of being loud, boisterous and over-indulging with the booze it will come out.

From a legal standpoint the biggest issue for the police isn't acting like drunken fools (if that is the case). It happens. And it isn't necessarily not reporting or belatedly reporting the incident although that is a big issue. The legal issue that hangs over their head is filing a false report (if that is the case) in a criminal case, even as complainants. You not only sign the paperwork you also swear to it.

If half of what the reporter reported is true then this case is not going to prosecuted. The DA is going to tell the police department clean up your own shiiit before you bring crap to this office. The Internal Affairs office in the Philly Police department is going to be very busy.

I don't know what clubs you guys go to. I'm friends with a lot of cops and bouncers. Everyone involved gets bounced in a situation like this regardless of how famous they are or if their a cop or not.

I also don't know a single cop that goes into a bar and then walks up to a bouncer to tell them they're a cop. Literally the only reason i have ever seena cop do something like this is if they have a firearm on them and don't want the bouncers (security if at a stadium or something else) to freak out.

If you are a cop and are carrying a firearm and you drink in excess there is no justification for that. There may be a rare undercover situation where excessive drinking may called for to maintain one's cover but carrying a weapon and drinking excessively in a social situation is unjustifiable.

I doubt these are hard and fast rules. The video shows Shady being involved. So theoretically he should have been tossed as well. And I would suspect the cops told the bouncers they were cops before getting bounced...and it didn't matter.

So much of this could be cleared up, if only those darn security cameras in the club didn't choose that particular night to malfunction.

Good question. Were the cameras working every other night?

While it is interesting, I disagree that the bouncers are necessarily determining guilt. They're aware of when someone like Shady is in the house and where he is. If some nobody, like and off duty police officer, gets into it with a guy who will be signing an NFL sized tab at the end of night, I can guess which party will be given the benefit of the doubt.

If the off-duty officers indeed ordered 4 bottles of $350 champagne, they too would be signing an NFL sized tab at the end of the night.

Some clubs, police who respond to calls at the club are also patrons off-duty. They're casually known by the club's staff.

After 100 pages we're still exactly nowhere.

Shocked, yes shocked I am!

Some clubs, police who respond to calls at the club are also patrons off-duty. They're casually known by the club's staff.

In the story linked by billsburgh, one of the cops, Daniel Ayers, is a frequent clubber and is known as "Sgt. Dan."

Although what actually happened in the club is muddled and may never be completely sorted out what isn't muddled is that the pummeled cops did so many things out of line with their obligations as on or off duty cops that their credibility is easily challenged.

Another interesting fact that I wasn't aware of (if true) was that McCoy was not thrown out of the club. He may have regrouped with his friends who were thrown out but according to the reporter he wasn't asked to leave.

Supposedly these cops were drinking prior to the event at another club. There is the DWI issues related to them (if they were driving an unmarked police vehicle/s and drinking there are compounding issues) and there is the issue of going to a hospital that (I'm not sure) may not have been in the city or far enough from the scene that the hospital staff wouldn't have reported the injuries to the police. It wouldn't be surprising that the injured cops didn't tell the hospital staff that they were police because they didn't want the incident to be reported and they wanted more time to sober up.

It's reported that the police are pressuring the DA to file charges. But what is going to happen is that the DA is going to challenge the police to find out how much drinking was going on before and after the event and find out if the injured cops identified themselves to the treating medical staff as cops and what was the explanation they gave the doctors as to how they got hurt.

In a case like this is the police are known by their own peers and by the people who frequent the same drinking and club establishments that they socialize in. So the manner in which they generally conduct themselves will come out. If they have a history of being loud, boisterous and over-indulging with the booze it will come out.

From a legal standpoint the biggest issue for the police isn't acting like drunken fools (if that is the case). It happens. And it isn't necessarily not reporting or belatedly reporting the incident although that is a big issue. The legal issue that hangs over their head is filing a false report (if that is the case) in a criminal case, even as complainants. You not only sign the paperwork you also swear to it.

If half of what the reporter reported is true then this case is not going to prosecuted. The DA is going to tell the police department clean up your own shiiit before you bring crap to this office. The Internal Affairs office in the Philly Police department is going to be very busy.

If you are a cop and are carrying a firearm and you drink in excess there is no justification for that. There may be a rare undercover situation where excessive drinking may called for to maintain one's cover but carrying a weapon and drinking excessively in a social situation is unjustifiable.

I think they have been busy for a couple years now.

Like i said Philly is a tough town.

I would suggest we Still do not have facts beyond the video. We now have some more statements.

Be wise to not reach conclusions in this matter.

Patience is often the best method

well whaddya know?

No, the guy nicknamed "Tank" on "Crossing Broad" reported he heard from a number of witnesses (two or five, not clear) "one of whom had a dog in the fight" who said Shady sucker-punched the cop.

The thing is, initially we heard that the bouncers were telling the same story as the cops, and if only 1/2 of that is true, they're not. If a bigger guy has his hands wrapped around Porter's throat and has him pinned, I believe Shady is allowed to try to go to his aid? And if the bouncers "bounced" Bradley as they threw him out, there would be legitimate question about who caused what injury.

When I worked in the ER, we always knew who were cops, even if it was the wife bringing the kids in, because of the medical insurance they had. Due to their union, the police officers and firefighters had better medical insurance than other city employees. You can lie about "occupation" and "employer" but you must show your insurance if you expect treatment other than for "true emergency", and when the ER staff run the group codes it had better match the occupation and employer you gave. Unless the ER is hella busy or is one of those that is not set up to verify insurance yet....

But he may well have driven past 4 hospitals (as was reported) and gone to one closer to home, to sober up a bit. He may also have actually GONE home, not intended to seek treatment, and faced the spouse/SO/kid/roommate Bureau of Investigation (or the mirror) which said "dude, you need that seen to... tonight". The ER records which show what time he checked in will speak to that.

I don't think the injuries were such that the hospital was required to report them to police per se - I've seen similar injuries to what was reported caused by mountain biking - but you're right - it would be interesting to know what explanation was given in the medical history as to the cause of the injuries, because if they were reported as being caused by a felony assault, wouldn't the hospital collect evidence (photographs etc)?

I personally like the explanation as to the bottle of champagne. It may have been one of the four the cops ordered, it may have been delivered to McCoy's table at the request of one of the cops to impress a lady he'd had previous interaction with, and it may have all been a miscommunication or misunderstanding where the guy making the request didn't clear it with or communicate it to his buds. Misunderstanding + Much Alcohol = Chaos

Edited by Hopeful

So much of this could be cleared up, if only those darn security cameras in the club didn't choose that particular night to malfunction.

yes that's what they did conveniently enough.

do most of us know better ? i would hope so

DA has the tapes and witnesses in line by now

After 100 pages we're still exactly nowhere.

continuity..