McCoy's nightclub fight and the ongoing investigation

lowghen

........ and the Phillies have opened spring training.

The Phillies have opened spring training.

The DA could very easily sweep this under the rug and walk away.

besides the fact that the the Phillies have opened spring training I don't believe the Men in Blue are going to let this just get swept under the rug, haven't you ever seen Law and Order?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They arrest the cops yet or what ?

Not yet. The DA is still collecting information and witness statements for McCoys felony homicide charge. Then the cops will get charged in a separate jury trial at city hall.

Rumor has it someones gonna hang....

Edited by Captain_Quint

Not yet. The DA is still collecting information and witness statements for McCoys felony homicide charge. Then the cops will get charged in a separate jury trial at city hall.

Rumor has it someones gonna hang....

Some one must hang.

Its the only right thing to do in matters such as these.

I dont care who ( ha ha ! Boater).

besides the fact that the the Phillies have opened spring training I don't believe the Men in Blue are going to let this just get swept under the rug, haven't you ever seen Law and Order?

They'll probably end up worse off than anyone else if they keep pursuing it. Which is probably why the DA wants this to die quietly. Someone should have been charged after a week or so, never mind a month.

They'll probably end up worse off than anyone else if they keep pursuing it. Which is probably why the DA wants this to die quietly. Someone should have been charged after a week or so, never mind a month.

you think the DA wants it to die quietly? to protect the Officers? Not sure about that Doc. he might want to save the taxpayers money and not waste everyones time

you think the DA wants it to die quietly? to protect the Officers? Not sure about that Doc. he might want to save the taxpayers money and not waste everyones time

It might not be the sole reason, but I'm sure it's a factor.

I think he wants to let it die because it's a lose of the case: drunk witnesses who don't want to be named, intoxicated officers who might have to admit to DUI under oath, a lengthy uphill battle against a high priced defense attorney.

For what, very likely, would be a class B misdemeanor.

The boys in blue might want blood, but they don't make the decision to file charges.

It might not be the sole reason, but I'm sure it's a factor.

To protect the officers from what? No one filed a criminal complaint against them. If it is determined that any of the off duty officers were more in the wrong or just as in the wrong than any of the McCoy crew then there would be no arrest warrants for the bar brawl. What is being reviewed by the DA's office is the criminal complaint made by the partying cops against the McCoy's party.

I don't believe that McCoy and his crew would be interested in filing a complaint against the police if the follow up investigation indicated that the cops were the primary instigators in the fracas. What would be gained? McCoy wants this episode to be over with as soon as possible? As far as I know none of his crew were hurt. They certainly don't want to be involved in any court action.

Edited by JohnC

I think he wants to let it die because it's a lose of the case: drunk witnesses who don't want to be named, intoxicated officers who might have to admit to DUI under oath, a lengthy uphill battle against a high priced defense attorney.

For what, very likely, would be a class B misdemeanor.

The boys in blue might want blood, but they don't make the decision to file charges.

Yup, it's a loser of a case for the DA, but the cops have just as much to lose as the defendants. From having barricades removed for civilians, to starting fights, to having guns in a club, to potentially driving drunk. Not to mention the optics of being drunk, club hopping and ordering $1400 worth of champagne.

And true they don't make the decision to file charges, but if they were to tell the DA to drop it, the DA would likely listen. From the looks of it, seeing as nothing has happened in a month now, it looks like that's what is happening.

To protect the officers from what? No one filed a criminal complaint against them. If it is determined that any of the off duty officers were more in the wrong or just as in the wrong than any of the McCoy crew then there would be no arrest warrants for the bar brawl. What is being reviewed by the DA's office is the criminal complaint made by the partying cops against the McCoy's party.

I don't believe that McCoy and his crew would be interested in filing a complaint against the police if the follow up investigation indicated that the cops were the primary instigators in the fracas. What would be gained? McCoy wants this episode to be over with as soon as possible? As far as I know none of his crew were hurt. They certainly don't want to be involved in any court action.

See above. And true, no one filed a complaint from Shady's side. But that's most likely because they want it to go away, unlike the cops who are clearly angling for a payday. I have no doubt though that their lawyers told the cops/their lawyers that if they pursue this, they'll launch a full investigation into their numerous transgressions that night, if not investigate every part of their lives, and look to have charges brought against them for assault at least.

Yup, it's a loser of a case for the DA, but the cops have just as much to lose as the defendants. From having barricades removed for civilians, to starting fights, to having guns in a club, to potentially driving drunk. Not to mention the optics of being drunk, club hopping and ordering $1400 worth of champagne.

And true they don't make the decision to file charges, but if they were to tell the DA to drop it, the DA would likely listen. From the looks of it, seeing as nothing has happened in a month now, it looks like that's what is happening.

See above. And true, no one filed a complaint from Shady's side. But that's most likely because they want it to go away, unlike the cops who are clearly angling for a payday. I have no doubt though that their lawyers told the cops/their lawyers that if they pursue this, they'll launch a full investigation into their numerous transgressions that night, if not investigate every part of their lives, and look to have charges brought against them for assault at least.

No one has to tell the cop side that if this case goes to trial that their conduct will be brought to light because it is assumed by all parties that is what will happen if the case was taken to a court room setting. No one has to tell the cop side or the DA side how ferociously McCoy's expensive attorney will attack the credibility of the opposition because it is assumed that is how this case would be pursued.

I'm confident that whether this case goes to trial or not the officers are going to be subjected to internal department scrutiny. That in-house scrutiny probably is being delayed because the police authorities do not want to unduly influence the possible court case. But it will go into hard core action at the appropriate time. The biggest transgression is publicly embarrassing the department. For that notorious attention there will be severe consequences.

No one has to tell the cop side that if this case goes to trial that their conduct will be brought to light because it is assumed by all parties that is what will happen if the case was taken to a court room setting. No one has to tell the cop side or the DA side how ferociously McCoy's expensive attorney will attack the credibility of the opposition because it is assumed that is how this case would be pursued.

I'm confident that whether this case goes to trial or not the officers are going to be subjected to internal department scrutiny. That in-house scrutiny probably is being delayed because the police authorities do not want to unduly influence the possible court case. But it will go into hard core action at the appropriate time. The biggest transgression is publicly embarrassing the department. For that notorious attention there will be severe consequences.

If that were the case, the cops wouldn't have filed the report in the first place, and the FOP wouldn't have kept squawking about someone needing to pay/be arrested for weeks afterwards. No, someone had to tell these guys what was what.

If that were the case, the cops wouldn't have filed the report in the first place, and the FOP wouldn't have kept squawking about someone needing to pay/be arrested for weeks afterwards. No, someone had to tell these guys what was what.

It's my belief that they filed the case because the injuries that they incurred in the bar fight had ramifications for them on the job. If none of them would have gotten injured to the extent that it affected their ability to work there would have been no charges filed. (My opinion.)

If you recall charges weren't filed immediately and medical attention wasn't quickly sought, and when it finally happened it was at a hospital not near the incident location. What they were trying to do is not let the department know what they got themselves involved in.

These guys are cops, not civilians. They are required to report injuries on and off the job. They were in a bind with their employers because they had to explain what happened. Reporting that they were in some type of bar brawl would have gotten them in trouble at work. So they came up with a story (day or two later) that they were victims with the hope that it would put them in a better situation at work.

It's my belief that they filed the case because the injuries that they incurred in the bar fight had ramifications for them on the job. If none of them would have gotten injured to the extent that it affected their ability to work there would have been no charges filed. (My opinion.)

If you recall charges weren't filed immediately and medical attention wasn't quickly sought, and when it finally happened it was at a hospital not near the incident location. What they were trying to do is not let the department know what they got themselves involved in.

These guys are cops, not civilians. They are required to report injuries on and off the job. They were in a bind with their employers because they had to explain what happened. Reporting that they were in some type of bar brawl would have gotten them in trouble at work. So they came up with a story (day or two later) that they were victims with the hope that it would put them in a better situation at work.

Ok, I can buy that maybe they needed to file the report to explain their injuries, hoping no one would come forward and reveal that it was Butler who started it all, much less reveal the other transgressions. But it still doesn't explain the FOP guy, obviously at the behest of the cops, continuing to ask for something to be done for weeks after, despite it being apparent the cops had a lot to lose as well. Whether it was Shady's lawyer or the DA who laid it all out for them is irrelevant, but it appears someone had to do it.

Ok, I can buy that maybe they needed to file the report to explain their injuries, hoping no one would come forward and reveal that it was Butler who started it all, much less reveal the other transgressions. But it still doesn't explain the FOP guy, obviously at the behest of the cops, continuing to ask for something to be done for weeks after, despite it being apparent the cops had a lot to lose as well. Whether it was Shady's lawyer or the DA who laid it all out for them is irrelevant, but it appears someone had to do it.

Union reps are that way sometimes; look at appeals NFLPA makes on drug tests, players intentionally injuring other players after whistle, etc.

As Koolaid stated the union leader does what most union leaders do, loudly supporting its members no matter what. No one needed to prompt the FOP into its response. Neither the mayor or the FOP had all the facts. That didn't stop them from reflexively talking tough in their support of the officers. It's not surprising that these squawk boxes have gone silent.

I wouldn't be surprised if the DA's office has more than enough information to make a determination. For them a bar brawl is a bar brawl with the usual characteristic that there are no angels in the late night drinking establishment. The embers of intensity have cooled to the point that it has become a forgotten story. That's the setting that the DA's office wants when it gives its judgment. For that lightening rod office being politically wise is as important as being legally wise.