Who really Billieves in Tyrod Taylor? Apparently BN does...

Marty McFly

On the one hand, TT showed promise. And lots of QBs get better with game experience. I'm hoping TT takes a big step forward in 2016.

On the other hand, TE and JP once showed promise too.

As has been pointed out in other threads, Green Bay, NE, and other winning franchises continue to draft QBs even when they have an established starter.

We should do the same even though Tyrod performed surprisingly well last season.

But.... Why do we have yet another TT thread?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I think we all know where this thread is heading. Here's what I think:

I am optimistic about Taylor.

That being said, I would not be shocked if he regresses in year 2 and it becomes clear he is not the answer.

But I think this team is very talented and I absolutely think Taylor is/will be at least good enough to get this team to the playoffs if Rex can get the defense in check. Ideally, I want a LB in Round 1- inside or out, we need both.

Is Taylor ever going to be a top 5 QB? I don't know, probably not. Top 10, maybe. Top 15? I think he might already be. And it's entirely ignorant to think that with a whole offseason as the starter that he can't improve. Listen, I don't know if we'll ever win a Super Bowl with the guy but at this point, I just want to make the playoffs. And he can certainly get us there.

Oh and P.S. to the strangely and abnormally anti-Taylor posse who call him out for falling short of the payoffs this year- he'd be playing on Sunday if he was the Broncos' QB this year. Easily. Give Rex a year to see if he can make this "scheme" I keep hearing about function the way it did in NY. If he can, we'll be just fine with Tyrod Taylor as our QB.

I doubt he'd be in the Super Bowl if he was the Broncos QB, personally.

You can have your doubts that TT is the franchise guy and be of the belief that the Bills shouldn't take a QB in the first round.

Indeed.

I agree but we're not taking one in the first round. Whaley has already stated that we're drawing a developmental QB. Personally I don't like any QB coming out of this year's draft but if I were to draft one late in this year's draft, it would be Hogan or Driskel.

Not exactly.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/buffalo-bills-nfl-draft-senior-bowl-tyrod-taylor-ej-manuel-doug-whaley-012616

"We'll do it because if you look at it, unfortunately we have two quarterbacks on the roster and both of them are entering the last year of their contract," Whaley said. "If it presents itself, it makes sense and it's a guy we like, and we believe in, absolutely."

They are really not saying much more than what we read here. Interesting, promising but need to see more. With an off season he should be very well versed in the whole playbook, and should be able to make effective throws all over the field. If not, he's not our guy.

I want to see a lot of quick passes over the middle to compliment what he has done in 2015. That would give Clay, our #2 WR, and the RB on the field a lot of catches.

I still say we draft a QB if a good one Rds 2-4.

The Buffalo News has been a rag for quite some time, so I'm not really sure I care what they think about Tyrod and whether they think he's a franchise guy or not. There's some simple truths for me that suggest that there's a very small likelihood that the Bills will be drafting a quarterback until at least the 3rd or 4th round, and that it will be a developmental backup only.

1 - The top 2 prospects, possibly top 3 will be gone when they draft in the first round. I don't doubt that a Paxton Lynch could fall to them in the first round, but Goff and Wentz are as good as gone. Cleveland is parting ways with Johnny drinky drink, leaving them with Austin Davis. I'm almost 100% certain they're drafting either Goff or Wentz. After that you have teams like Dallas, San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles picking before the Bills. Even if you assume just one more is picked, do the Bills take the THIRD best QB on the board?

2 - This team came together in Rex's first year as head coach. Tyrod won the starting job over Manuel and Cassel. Does anyone think the front office wants to intentionally create yet another quarterback controversy? Barring injury, Tyrod will be the starter and we'll know this early and often based on preseason reps.

3 - The Bills basically have 4 positions that they need to address from the standpoint of starters. DE/DT needs to be addressed with Mario being up in the air. Aaron Williams is "back", but can he make it an entire season? Corey Graham is not a good option at safety and they need better play at ILB and OLB. Some would say they can address this in free agency, but I don't see the money being there to do that. More likely at least 2 of those positions will be addressed in the draft and early. They after all need starters, not developmental players.

You think this because Whaley already came out and said to the public that "He'd like to draft a developmental QB?" LOL.

Indeed.

Not exactly.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/buffalo-bills-nfl-draft-senior-bowl-tyrod-taylor-ej-manuel-doug-whaley-012616

"We'll do it because if you look at it, unfortunately we have two quarterbacks on the roster and both of them are entering the last year of their contract," Whaley said. "If it presents itself, it makes sense and it's a guy we like, and we believe in, absolutely."

We're definitely drafting one in the early to middle rounds. No question about it. I think it's a BIG mistake especially with a weak QB class.

Boomer and Trent obviously didn't watch the Pro Bowl. :rolleyes:

@TyDunne

BN Blog: Boomer Esiason and Trent Green like what they see in #Bills QB Tyrod Taylor... but must see more. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/02/03/250073/

Yea, because everyone takes the Pro Bowl so seriously and preps really hard for it. According to you I guess Latavious Murray is the best RB in the league because he was the leading rusher in the Pro Bowl. AP sucks because he only managed 4 yds off 5 carries.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

You think this because Whaley already came out and said to the public that "He'd like to draft a developmental QB?" LOL.

We're definitely drafting one in the early to middle rounds. No question about it. I think it's a BIG mistake especially with a weak QB class.

Yea, because everyone takes the Pro Bowl so seriously and preps really hard for it. According to you I guess Latavious Murray is the best RB in the league because he was the leading rusher in the Pro Bowl. AP sucks because he only managed 4 yds off 5 carries.

Duh....Sarcasm.

On the one hand, TT showed promise. And lots of QBs get better with game experience. I'm hoping TT takes a big step forward in 2016.

As has been pointed out in other threads, Green Bay, NE, and other winning franchises continue to draft QBs even when they have an established starter.

We should do the same even though Tyrod performed surprisingly well last season.

TE and JP did both show promise until they were banged around or injured, especially TE. I remember he took that hit from I believe Adrian Wilson of the Cardnials and was concussed. After that, he was a totally different QB; he played so tentative. The same can be said for EJ. Since those players sustained their injuries they played completely different after that point. That's the main difference I see between them and TT. After his knee injury he back and played really well and wasn't shaken up by it. And I agree with you even more on this Tyrod subject just becoming redundant haha.

GO BILLS!!

There's some truth do this but neither guy had nearly as good of a 14 game stretch as Tyrod. They "flashed" at different points. For the most part he put together a good season and not a good stretch. it isn't a large enough sample size to open the check book but it is significantly larger than those other 2.

Also, he was sort of a combination of the 2. JP made some plays and some mistakes. Trenative didn't make many plays or mistakes. Tyrod makes plays and minimal mistakes. There are parts of his game that need to be further developed but that is a good starting point.

First year starter with really no prep in the pre season. This year he has plans to practice with our receivers during the off season and has all the camps to get everything down pat. He can be our guy for sure. I really like his additude and toughness on the field and off the field. All the players like that too. Can't wait for next year. Oh wait- we need a defense. Forgot!

Based on his play and development from week 1 to week 17 this season Who really Billieves in Tyrod Taylor enough NOT to take a QB in the 1st round and go Defense instead? As the future or as an interim to the next "Kelly" type franchise guy?

Apparently Jay Skurski of the Buffalo news throws him a vote of confidence.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/02/02/power-take-taylors-play-means-bills-do-not-need-to-pick-up-qb-early/

All you have to do is look to Cam Newton as to why it's silly to give up on guys too soon. Cam was never known as a pocket passer or a guy that did a lot of reading of the defense. This year something really clicked and he has been much much better going through progressions. He was drafted in the same year as Marcel Dareus and started every game since. It took him 3 or 4 seasons of playing every game to get comfortable reading defenses effectively.

Not saying this is what could be predicted of Tyrod, but it's not far fetched to think it could never happen either. He has 14 games under his belt so far.

First year starter with really no prep in the pre season. This year he has plans to practice with our receivers during the off season and has all the camps to get everything down pat. He can be our guy for sure. I really like his additude and toughness on the field and off the field. All the players like that too. Can't wait for next year. Oh wait- we need a defense. Forgot!

Lol what ^ he said