NFL Concussion Numbers Up Significantly in 2015

@AP_NFL

Details on NFL's report that concussions were way up in 2015: http://apne.ws/1SpNWnj

CZ7i_rMWcAA9CKH.jpg

The NFL released a report that revealed how many concussions were diagnosed in each of the past four seasons.

nflconcussionreport1.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fixed this for accuracy, being it just felt slimy as it was. i do not know how anyone would believe that it was just simply more concussions.

@AP_NFL

Details on NFL's report that REPORTED concussions were way up in 2015: http://apne.ws/1SpNWn

Probably something to do with "CTE" and that Will Smith movie.

Edited by Boyst62

fixed this for accuracy, being it just felt slimy as it was. i do not know how anyone would believe that it was just simply more concussions.

Probably had more to do with having a rule in place that players had to be taken off the field and evaluated after impacts to the head.

"Breaking News: NFL Discovers That You Find More of Something When You Start Looking For It."

Probably had more to do with having a rule in place that players had to be taken off the field and evaluated after impacts to the head.

"Breaking News: NFL Discovers That You Find More of Something When You Start Looking For It."

Imagine that!

i'm still saying that if smith wasn't so good at acting in the movie the nfl would not care so much. i mean, if this was kevin costner in the role or maybe Randy Quiad we'd have never heard about it.

Exactly. They have doctors assigned now who report to the NFL and are not part of the team, and if they say the player needs to be tested, they are tested and if there is any doubt, that player does not return to play in the game. So obviously these numbers will be much higher than relying on teams that have a vested interest in getting a player back on the field.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Exactly. They have doctors assigned now who report to the NFL and are not part of the team, and if they say the player needs to be tested, they are tested and if there is any doubt, that player does not return to play in the game. So obviously these numbers will be much higher than relying on teams that have a vested interest in getting a player back on the field.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

players are just as vested in returning to the field, probably more than the team

Interesting. Although:

• Way, way more people play rugby than american football world wide, so comparing the total number of injuries is bogus. There are some 7 millions adults playing rugby in leagues all over the world. They need to compare the rate of injury.
  • Rugby players don't wear any head protection to speak of.
  • "Head injuries" and concussions are two different things. I can see quite a few head injuries that are not concussions to people not wearing helmets, like cuts, broken noses, black eyes, etc.
  • The NFL has been chronically underreporting the rate of concussions, as the article states.
Edited by vincec

i'm still saying that if smith wasn't so good at acting in the movie the nfl would not care so much. i mean, if this was kevin costner in the role or maybe Randy Quiad we'd have never heard about it.

I feel like Will Smith's role would have gone to Dennis Quiad. I can definitely see Randy Quiad playing Roger Godell though.

I would be curious to hear the answer to this:

Do you think NFL players have more pressure to play put upon them by themselves or by the team?

I would bet most players would admit they would rather get in at their own expense before having the team pressure them.

i just watched the movie yesterday. I admit I was moved by the story. Intellectually, nothing surprised me about the story, but emotionally it was tough to see those guys and their situations post football.

I couldn't help thinking about Talley, and others. I also was even more enraged at Burfect's hit in the playoffs. I know there is no way to completely get rid of collisions to the head as it will happen by accident, but intentionally going for the head is so reprehensible.

Lastly, I am glad there is a concerted effort to teach heads up football, and the NFL is finally at least trying with players. I realize it was self serving as it is to protect from liability.