Friday Mock Draft Day!

RyanC883

since when is Hughes DL

Since the day he became a Bill. You can designate him whatever you like, but when he lines up as a stand-up DE and rushes the passer 90% of the time, he's a DL.

If we were still in Schwartz's D, he'd be a DE.

This is just semantics between a 34 and 43. Both have 4 guys on the line. Call them whatever you want.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19: R1P19

OLB LEONARD FLOYD

GEORGIA

49: R2P18

DT CHRIS JONES

MISSISSIPPI STATE

80: R3P17

WR PHAROH COOPER

SOUTH CAROLINA

117: R4P19

OT KYLE MURPHY

STANFORD

139: R4P41

DT MATT IOANNIDIS

TEMPLE

156: R5P17

ILB ELANDON ROBERTS

HOUSTON

192: R6P17

QB BRANDON DOUGHTY

WESTERN KENTUCKY

218: R6P43

G VI TEOFILO

ARIZONA STATE

DE SHAQ LAWSON

CLEMSON

19: R1P19
OLB LEONARD FLOYD
GEORGIA
49: R2P18
DT CHRIS JONES
MISSISSIPPI STATE

Man, Id love to see the other picks in these drafts that lead to Lawson and Floyd falling to 19, and Jones lasting until 49. :worthy:

It would be a dream come true, but Im not getting my hopes up.

Since the day he became a Bill. You can designate him whatever you like, but when he lines up as a stand-up DE and rushes the passer 90% of the time, he's a DL.

If we were still in Schwartz's D, he'd be a DE.

This is just semantics between a 34 and 43. Both have 4 guys on the line. Call them whatever you want.

I was talking about in 3-4 he has always been a OLB

Man, Id love to see the other picks in these drafts that lead to Lawson and Floyd falling to 19, and Jones lasting until 49. :worthy:

It would be a dream come true, but Im not getting my hopes up.

I use the composite board, which seems to have the fewest anomalies. On that board Floyd is the 20th ranked player and Jones is the 32nd ranked player, Lawson is the 17th player. So one of Floyd/Lawson is pretty consistently there in the first. Jones seems to slip to 49 on 40-50% of the drafts I've had too. It's definitely possible, but we won't know until Friday. I definitely think a few solid choices will be there in rd 2.

Rd1-Rd2 DT's:

Sheldon Rankins

A'shawn Robinson

Jarran Reed

Andrew Billings

Chris Jones

Vernon Butler

Robert Nkemdiche

Kenny Clark

Austin Johnson

Jonathan Bullard

Jihad Ward

Javon Hargrave

I was talking about in 3-4 he has always been a OLB

OLB under Pettine

DE under Schwartz

OLB under Rex

Yet, even calling him "a OLB in a 34", he still does the same job as a 43 DE. Line up on the line, primarily rush the passer, stop the run, occasionally drop into coverage. Same position, different name in the different scheme. While there are some finer points that separate them, they are basically the same position for the purpose of our discussion.

I use the composite board, which seems to have the fewest anomalies. On that board Floyd is the 20th ranked player and Jones is the 32nd ranked player, Lawson is the 17th player. So one of Floyd/Lawson is pretty consistently there in the first. Jones seems to slip to 49 on 40-50% of the drafts I've had too. It's definitely possible, but we won't know until Friday. I definitely think a few solid choices will be there in rd 2.

Rd1-Rd2 DT's:

Sheldon Rankins

A'shawn Robinson

Jarran Reed

Andrew Billings

Chris Jones

Vernon Butler

Robert Nkemdiche

Kenny Clark

Austin Johnson

Jonathan Bullard

Jihad Ward

Javon Hargrave

Thanks! Agreed that we should have some good choices at 49. I guess I can see Floyd falling due to his size issues. And of course, its the draft so anything can happen. All of our mocks can be way off from what is really going to happen. Cant wait! :thumbsup:

OLB under Pettine

DE under Schwartz

OLB under Rex

Yet, even calling him "a OLB in a 34", he still does the same job as a 43 DE. Line up on the line, primarily rush the passer, stop the run, occasionally drop into coverage. Same position, different name in the different scheme. While there are some finer points that separate them, they are basically the same position for the purpose of our discussion.

Thanks! Agreed that we should have some good choices at 49. I guess I can see Floyd falling due to his size issues. And of course, its the draft so anything can happen. All of our mocks can be way off from what is really going to happen. Cant wait! :thumbsup:

2 things

A lot drafts and charts are listing players as edge. This is Hughes. An outside player who sets the edge on pass rush and the run. They are not a de stopping the run to them back in nor are they the olb to step up and fill the gap outside. They are used as a boundary against the run, generally further upfield than an average OLB and further in than the average DE

And I worry Floyd will be much like Hughes was early in his career. It was not until 2015 that he became great at run defense and had discipline to play then position much better than before. Floyd also reminds me of Maybin.

2 things

A lot drafts and charts are listing players as edge. This is Hughes. An outside player who sets the edge on pass rush and the run. They are not a de stopping the run to them back in nor are they the olb to step up and fill the gap outside. They are used as a boundary against the run, generally further upfield than an average OLB and further in than the average DE

And I worry Floyd will be much like Hughes was early in his career. It was not until 2015 that he became great at run defense and had discipline to play then position much better than before. Floyd also reminds me of Maybin.

Agreed on all of this. Thanks for expanding on the DE/OLB differences. And yeah, Aaron Maybin has scared me off of undersized rushers for life. Even after being so wrong on Von Miller! :thumbsup:

Agreed on all of this. Thanks for expanding on the DE/OLB differences. And yeah, Aaron Maybin has scared me off of undersized rushers for life. Even after being so wrong on Von Miller! :thumbsup:

miller was smart and talented. He was and is more humble than he comes across and his work ethic is exemplary. It was easy to see he would succeed. The only grievance on him was his outspokenness with the holdout and lockout looming

2 things

By the way, I never got around to responding to your question about Correa, and I can't find the quote, so I'm doing it here...

Correa could play the Jack, but I like him as a Sam better. He's not a natural pass-rusher; he's far more comfortable setting the edge and blitzing. He also is sneaky athletic when making zone drops. I wouldn't want him in man coverage against a guy like Gronk, but he can turn-and-run well enough to carry the seam against lesser TEs.

By the way, I never got around to responding to your question about Correa, and I can't find the quote, so I'm doing it here...

Correa could play the Jack, but I like him as a Sam better. He's not a natural pass-rusher; he's far more comfortable setting the edge and blitzing. He also is sneaky athletic when making zone drops. I wouldn't want him in man coverage against a guy like Gronk, but he can turn-and-run well enough to carry the seam against lesser TEs.

I've watched three games of film on Correa...I like him a lot...I think the most important aspect to his game is that he knows his assignment and his responsibilities and does his job pretty well most of the time...

As far as being a natural pass rusher...He's certainly not bad...They used him in stunts a lot...He's got a nose for the QB...

I think he can be effective dropping...To an extent...He's never going to be Jamie Collins or anything like that...But like I said, I like his football smarts...I think if you give him a job and coach him up he'll be fine... B-)

OLB under Pettine

DE under Schwartz

OLB under Rex

Yet, even calling him "a OLB in a 34", he still does the same job as a 43 DE. Line up on the

line, primarily rush the passer, stop the run, occasionally drop into coverage. Same position, different name in the different scheme. While there are some finer points that separate them, they are basically the same position for the purpose of our discussion.

Okay.

For whatever it's worth, team mouthpiece Chris Brown just posted his mock and has us taking...

Jarren Reed, DT, Alabama

He did also say that a tradedown was a possibility...

I will have to hope I'm wrong about Reed's versatility and athleticism if he's the pick.

Yes. He's done it for us before, and he can play just about any position along the DL. We're talking DE in the 34 base, not DE in a Wide-9.

Great (and old) article, here: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/1/11/1927873/examining-multiple-defensive-fronts-featuring-kyle-williams

It still applies, and seems to apply every year, because every year we switch schemes and people doubt Kyle's ability to play X position. And then every year he comes in and put in a pro bowl performance.

Trust in the Meatball!

Well, that isnt this year, so we can worry about it when the time comes. There will be another FA and draft to go through. And Kyle may even stick around for a couple more years. Interior DLs can play well into their 30s (Ted, Pat, Sam, etc)

Not trying to start anything , but you have us picking Reed to help KW as a DE, now you state he can play for a few more years as an interior DL. Need to make up your mind.

Not trying to start anything , but you have us picking Reed to help KW as a DE, now you state he can play for a few more years as an interior DL. Need to make up your mind.

The DE position he would play in the 34 is basically an interior spot, not edge rushing.

Cmon guys, we've been through enough scheme changes to know how it works along the DL.

Used Fanspeak Composite board... made a trade to pick up K in RD 5

19: R1P19 -WR JOSH DOCTSON -TCU - The fact that we had an offer on the table for Percy Harvin for '16 tells me how desperately the front office wants a complimentary #2 to Sammy.

49: R2P18 - S KARL JOSEPH -WEST VIRGINIA - really wanted to go edge or LB here.. but he is arguably the highest ranked Safety on the board and with Aaaron Williams health in question and Corey Graham and a street FA currently at other safety spot seems like too good of a value to pass up

80: R3P17 - DE BRONSON KAUFUSI - BRIGHAM YOUNG - the more I read up on this guy the more I think he's a perfect fit for our 3-4 DE spot. Apparently his technique is already very polished so hopefully he can contribute right away

109: R4P11 - QB CARDALE JONES - OHIO STATE - before you crucify me.. hear me out here... maybe it's just the #12 he wears.. but in watching film of his demeanor, pocket presence and really strong arm I see a lot of Jim Kelly. Seriously... I think he's the only college QB I've looked at in the past 5 years or so that I've followed the draft closely that even resembles Kelly. Obviously.. he has a long way to go to learn the game.. but I think if he is available in RD 4 we have to pull the trigger.

139: R4P41 - DT D.J. READER - CLEMSON - May not be a 3 down guy.. but he should be able to 2 gap and clog up the middle well to free up the LBs

156: R5P17 - OLB SCOOBY WRIGHT - ARIZONA - at one point this guy was ranked as one of the top lbs. Injury and not the greatest combine numbers seem to have knocked his stock down. But if you watch the tape you see a guy who really knows his keys, trusts his instincts and is not afraid to get dirty and physical. Should be a solid smart 2 down run stuffer.

165: R5P26 - K ROBERTO AGUAYO - FLORIDA STATE - seems to be best kicker available in draft, would save us money and hopefully improvement over Carpenter

218: R6P43 - OT AVERY YOUNG - AUBURN - may not be starter material.. but with how poorly CK, SH and JM have done it can't hurt to have competition