195: R6P17
OLB CURT MAGGITT
TENNESSEE

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19: R1P19

- OLB DARRON LEE - ( need linebacker help..will probably be better fit as ILB in Rex system ..best available versatile all around LB)

- OHIO STATE

49: R2P18

WR BRAXTON MILLER - (most likely candidate to play Percy Harvin swiss army knife role)

OHIO STATE

80: R3P17

G SEBASTIAN TRETOLA - ( probably needs a little work in pass protect but should be a good mauler in power run game. I would have loved to have drafted a Tackle somewhere in first 3 rounds but after Conklin there is really no one I think that is better than Kouandjio)

ARKANSAS

118: R4P19

OLB YANNICK NGAKOUE - (raw but seems to be a great athlete, development project but hopefully can develop into solid Joker 3/4 OLB)

MARYLAND

156: R5P17

DT D.J. READER - (http://buildingtheherd.com/ turned me on to this guy. 6'3" - 340 lbs...seems like he would be a great one technique NT allowing Kyle and Marcell to kick outside and cause havoc. Also hopefully eats up blocks to let LBs run free a la Siragusa)

CLEMSON

QB KEVIN HOGAN - (being a Stanford QB he would most likely be familiar with Roman's system. Has decent size ... worth taking a flyer on)

STANFORD

I like it. My only concern with D. Lee is that (and I have not seen him play) he seems too small. Perhaps someone who watches a ton of CFB can do a comparison of him to Spence?

Pretty happy with this week's iteration:

DT SHELDON RANKINS
LOUISVILLE
DE JONATHAN BULLARD
FLORIDA
LB JOSHUA PERRY
OHIO STATE
OT/G SPENCER DRANGO
BAYLOR
QB BRANDON DOUGHTY
WESTERN KENTUCKY
WR KEYARRIS GARRETT
TULSA

I like this one. Rankins likely goes in the first round. Haven't seen many people taking him here, but he would add a ton of value to the line. My only question (again, don't watch a ton of CFB) is would Perry be able to step in right away? Although perhaps T. Stewart can? I think we need a LB from somewhere who can play day 1.

Here is my try for today. At first blush it appears unrealistic. But, http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings has Wright as a 3rd round prospect. And Nkemdiche was viewed by some as "overranked" prior to his falling out of a hotel window high/drunk.

OLB NOAH SPENCE (pass rusher we need)
EASTERN KENTUCKY
DT ROBERT NKEMDICHE (top round talent who falls due to character concerns. Rex won't care.)
OLE MISS
OLB SCOOBY WRIGHT (injury concerns, plus Arizona's "scheme" cause him to fall. Not great in coverage, but otherwise solid)
ARIZONA
WR KENNY LAWLER (big WR who can catch contested balls. Physical).
CALIFORNIA
CB D.J. WHITE (solid CB. Not afraid of contact and ripping balls from WR).
GEORGIA TECH
C GRAHAM GLASGOW (fanspeak has him listed as a center. But he is likely to play guard. Played guard, tackle, and center at Michigan. Great depth/potential starter at guard who can be "flexed" in emergency).
MICHIGAN

I like it. My only concern with D. Lee is that (and I have not seen him play) he seems too small. Perhaps someone who watches a ton of CFB can do a comparison of him to Spence?

I like this one. Rankins likely goes in the first round. Haven't seen many people taking him here, but he would add a ton of value to the line. My only question (again, don't watch a ton of CFB) is would Perry be able to step in right away? Although perhaps T. Stewart can? I think we need a LB from somewhere who can play day 1.

IMO Lee vs. Spence - Lee covers slot receivers, backs and TE's, very athletic can change direction and run with about anyone, can blitz, needs tackling work, a LB/DB hybrid type, a bigger Deone Bucannon (Arizona S turned LB) type guy, Ryan Shazier (Pittsburgh)-esque if you will, makes plays all over the field. Spence is a DE/LB hybrid-EDGE type, high motor, no experience in coverage, and is mostly an pass rusher who can give high effort vs. the run. Lee vs. Spence = Coverage + vs. Pass Rushing...

I personally see Perry as a Sam or Mike backer, who can start day 1, for us I believe he could play a/the Mike backer and contribute day 1.

Here is my try for today. At first blush it appears unrealistic. But, http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings has Wright as a 3rd round prospect. And Nkemdiche was viewed by some as "overranked" prior to his falling out of a hotel window high/drunk.

OLB NOAH SPENCE (pass rusher we need)
EASTERN KENTUCKY
DT ROBERT NKEMDICHE (top round talent who falls due to character concerns. Rex won't care.)
OLE MISS
OLB SCOOBY WRIGHT (injury concerns, plus Arizona's "scheme" cause him to fall. Not great in coverage, but otherwise solid)
ARIZONA

Thats a high end bust/boom type of draft, Spence might be drug free, but the Alcohol incident with him last May(?) IMO does not help his addiction issues or help his case that he is past that, I know people are high on him now, but teams will not even have him on their boards. Nkediche reminds me of someone who is good at football, but doesnt love it. Wright is almost the opposite, love the game understands it, but at the next level might not be able to hang athletically.

I could see that being the type of a draft that gets a GM fired. Or... If they all play up to their potential (exceed for Scooby) and maintain off the field, it could be a grand slam type or draft...

My .02, do with it as you will :)

Edited by P51

Here is a draft if we cut Shady-

RB EZEKIEL ELLIOTT
OHIO STATE
WR MICHAEL THOMAS
OHIO STATE
OLB SU'A CRAVENS
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
G CHRISTIAN WESTERMAN
ARIZONA STATE
DT D.J. READER
CLEMSON
OLB CURT MAGGITT
TENNESSEE

I like it. Hard to justify a 1st on a RB, but Elliott is special, and you found some great D talent later in the draft.

Thats a high end bust/boom type of draft, Spence might be drug free, but the Alcohol incident with him last May(?) IMO does not help his addiction issues or help his case that he is past that, I know people are high on him now, but teams will not even have him on their boards. Nkediche reminds me of someone who is good at football, but doesnt love it. Wright is almost the opposite, love the game understands it, but at the next level might not be able to hang athletically.

I could see that being the type of a draft that gets a GM fired. Or... If they all play up to their potential (exceed for Scooby) and maintain off the field, it could be a grand slam type or draft...

My .02, do with it as you will :)

Wasn't aware of the incidents with Spence post Ohio State. That may cause me to reconsider. I totally agree with your analysis of Nkediche and Scooby. My thought is that in the 2nd you get a guy who may have motivation after falling to the 2nd round. I think Scooby has the talent to hang, but unclear if he can be a "star."

I don't mind a boom or bust draft, but I don't like having this many risks. May have to reassess 1st pick. I'd swap for Rankins. Which would also impact later drafting.

IMO Lee vs. Spence - Lee covers slot receivers, backs and TE's, very athletic can change direction and run with about anyone, can blitz, needs tackling work, a LB/DB hybrid type, a bigger Deone Bucannon (Arizona S turned LB) type guy, Ryan Shazier (Pittsburgh)-esque if you will, makes plays all over the field. Spence is a DE/LB hybrid-EDGE type, high motor, no experience in coverage, and is mostly an pass rusher who can give high effort vs. the run. Lee vs. Spence = Coverage + vs. Pass Rushing...

I personally see Perry as a Sam or Mike backer, who can start day 1, for us I believe he could play a/the Mike backer and contribute day 1.

I love Shazier. Do you think Lee would be as injury-prone as Shazier? When healthy, Shazier is an absolute beast.

Once again I tried to ignore any guys that blatantly don't belong on the board (though I succumbed to the allure of taking Justin Simmons in the 5th):

1: R1P19
DE NOAH SPENCE
EASTERN KENTUCKY
2: R2P18
DT AUSTIN JOHNSON
PENN STATE
3: R3P17
OLB DEION JONES
LSU
4: R4P19
WR KENNY LAWLER
CALIFORNIA
5: R5P17
S JUSTIN SIMMONS
BOSTON COLLEGE
6: R6P17
QB BRANDON DOUGHTY
WESTERN KENTUCKY

I love Shazier. Do you think Lee would be as injury-prone as Shazier? When healthy, Shazier is an absolute beast.

Shazier was about my favourite player in the 2014 draft. Lee I am not quite as convinced on. I wouldn't hate him at #19 but I wouldn't love it. If I could trade back a few spots pick up another 3rd round pick maybe I would be more comfortable taking him mid 20s.

One more:

OLB MYLES JACK
UCLA

DT VERNON BUTLER
LOUISIANA TECH
WR STERLING SHEPARD
OKLAHOMA
S JAYRON KEARSE
CLEMSON
TE JERELL ADAMS
SOUTH CAROLINA
OLB JOE SCHOBERT
WISCONSIN

If we get Myles Jack at 19 I'll turn the draft off, because I don't need to see anything else to be happy about the draft.

If we get Myles Jack at 19 I'll turn the draft off, because I don't need to see anything else to be happy about the draft.

Ha ha, I was thinking the same thing. Leroi thinks that he is the Bills' guy (which makes me think it is true). As I was doing it and Jack was still there I was getting excited.

I developed a bit of a man crush on Vernon Butler late in the season. I saw a few games and he just jumped of the screen. He reminds me of Muhammad Wilkerson. If the Bills can get a LB, him and a WR this draft would be unbelievable.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Comparison of Lee and Spence -- Lee played the SAM LB. In osu's D it was two ILB (Perry and McMillan) and Lee. His job was to align on the outside half of the TE, jam him, and set the edge. This LB also blitzes, a lot. Same position Shazier had. Shazier, though, played with much less talented LBs next to him than Lee. Shazier started off as a very poor tackler and improved. Lee is a good tackler, but not great. Hits hard but uses one arm on occasion or doesn't wrap up. OSU practices rugby style tackling, fwiw. He's excellent in coverage and very fast. Great instincts. Makes big plays in big games. Ultra competitive, can talk a little too much on the field. Not really that small - maybe for certain defenses that could be the case?

Spence played the "viper" role on the DL which is a stand up weak end. They play a 4-3 under or over. He was very productive as a pass rusher and improved tremendously as a sophomore, particularly against the run in maintaining leverage and strength at the point of attack. Spence and Washington were the best pass rushers before Bosa arrived; when he did Washington moved to DT. Spence was first team all big 10 as a sophomore and an academic all big 10 as well. I think he had 8 sacks and 15 TFL that year. He looked like an NFL talent early on.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Here is today's entry. Fanspeak has updated rankings it seems. Comments are mostly from what I have read on the players in the pre-draft process.

OLB LEONARD FLOYD (perfect fit for Rex's 3-4, can also play in a 4-3).
GEORGIA
DT VERNON BUTLER (Disruptive in the middle or wherever he is placed on the line)
LOUISIANA TECH
S KARL JOSEPH (hard hitting safety who loves contact. Either tackling runners or knocking the ball out of would-be receivers hands).
WEST VIRGINIA
WR LEONTE CARROO (WR who can seemingly play in the slot or go deep. Versatile guy who solves need for slot and WR2 deep role). Reminds me a bit of Heinz Ward in terms of quality jack-of-all trades)
RUTGERS
DE CHARLES TAPPER (disruptive DE. Could replace Mario. Seems like a good 3-4 fit).
OKLAHOMA
OT AVERY YOUNG (great zone/multiple scheme run blocker. Will be surprised if available here.)
AUBURN

DT A'SHAWN ROBINSON
ALABAMA
OLB JOSHUA PERRY
OHIO STATE
K ROBERTO AGUAYO
FLORIDA STATE
DE AZIZ SHITTU