CALIFORNIA
156: R5P17
DT LUTHER MADDY
VIRGINIA TECH
195: R6P17
OT JOE DAHL
WASHINGTON STATE

CBF

I like it. I think Lawler and Maddy could be starters. Great late-round picks.

19: R1P19

DT DEFOREST BUCKNER
OREGON

49: R2P18
WR LAQUON TREADWELL
OLE MISS
80: R3P17
OLB DEION JONES
LSU
118: R4P19
QB DAK PRESCOTT
MISSISSIPPI STATE
S KEVIN BYARD
MIDDLE TENN. STATE
OT SPENCER DRANGO
BAYLOR

if Treadwell is there in the 2nd, I think the answer is YES.

DT A'SHAWN ROBINSON
ALABAMA
OLB JOSHUA PERRY
OHIO STATE
K ROBERTO AGUAYO
FLORIDA STATE
DE AZIZ SHITTU
STANFORD
OG GRAHAM GLASGOW
MICHIGAN
S JORDAN LUCAS
PENN STATE

This wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

A Kicker in the 3rd round. Ah Shittu! :flirt:

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it. I think Lawler and Maddy could be starters. Great late-round picks.

if Treadwell is there in the 2nd, I think the answer is YES.

A Kicker in the 3rd round. Ah Shittu! :flirt:

Couple things on that. First, he's the only kicker worth drafting. Second, I half expect a knee jerk reaction from Rex & company about the kicker situation. If they don't address it in free agency, I could see them drafting the only kicker worth drafting that will be on any draft board.

Using Walter Football's board:

DT JARRAN REED
ALABAMA
LB JAYLON SMITH
NOTRE DAME
WR WILLIAM FULLER
NOTRE DAME
DT CHRIS JONES
MISSISSIPPI STATE
OT COLE TONER
HARVARD
C ISAAC SEUMALO
OREGON STATE

This was using the Draft Geek board:

WR LAQUON TREADWELL
MISSISSIPPI
DT JARRAN REED
ALABAMA
OLB SCOOBY WRIGHT
ARIZONA
OT TYLER MARZ
WISCONSIN
QB BRANDON DOUGHTY
WESTERN KENTUCKY
OT PEARCE SLATER
SAN DIEGO STATE

OLB SHAQ LAWSON

CLEMSON

DT KENNY CLARK

UCLA

S VONN BELL

OHIO ST

ILB TYLER MATAKEVICH

TEMPLE

DE ROMEO OKWARA

NOTRE DAME

WR KEYARRIS GARRETT

TULSA

I did another one and have to say I like this more. Used the Draftech board. I'm fairly certain that this will be a defense focused draft.

I used Matt Miller's board (I really like his work), and as I typically do, I ignored anyone that I felt obviously wouldn't be there in that slot (for realism)...

1: R1P19
DT JARRAN REED
ALABAMA
The 2-gapping run defender that Rex needs up front
2: R2P18
OLB KYLER FACKRELL
UTAH STATE
Explosive edge defender that makes an ideal fit as a 3-4 rush LB
3: R3P17
OLB DEION JONES
LSU
Great coverage LB that can play the Will spot next to either Brown or Lawson
4: R4P19
S JUSTIN SIMMONS
BOSTON COLLEGE
Long, athletic, rangy safety that can play snaps as a rookie
5: R5P17
OT WILLIE BEAVERS
WESTERN MICHIGAN
Raw tackle prospect that has potential starting RT upside
6: R6P17
QB BRANDON DOUGHTY
WESTERN KENTUCKY
Developmental QB with quick release and good raw material

I used Matt Miller's board (I really like his work), and as I typically do, I ignored anyone that I felt obviously wouldn't be there in that slot (for realism)...

DT JARRAN REED
ALABAMA
OLB KYLER FACKRELL
UTAH STATE
OLB DEION JONES
LSU
S JUSTIN SIMMONS
BOSTON COLLEGE
OT WILLIE BEAVERS
WESTERN MICHIGAN
QB BRANDON DOUGHTY
WESTERN KENTUCKY

I'd sign for that draft. I'm not a Doughty fan from the little bits I've seen and would probably have other developmental guys there but I'd be very happy 1-5.

EDIT: On the realism point I'd be shocked if Jones is still there. I really like him and I can even see him sneaking into the end of the first.

Edited by GunnerBill

I'd sign for that draft. I'm not a Doughty fan from the little bits I've seen and would probably have other developmental guys there but I'd be very happy 1-5.

EDIT: On the realism point I'd be shocked if Jones is still there. I really like him and I can even see him sneaking into the end of the first.

I struggled with whether or not Jones will be there as well.

I didn't see it as totally outlandish, since I think he's not a 1st rounder, and the value in the 2nd really appears to be in the safety, WR, and DL positions, so I figured it's possible he falls.

I really want one of those coverage LBs. We don't pick high enough to get Jack or Smith, so I think if we want one we may have to pick Cravens or Jones in round 2.

I struggled with whether or not Jones will be there as well.

I didn't see it as totally outlandish, since I think he's not a 1st rounder, and the value in the 2nd really appears to be in the safety, WR, and DL positions, so I figured it's possible he falls.

I mocked him to Green Bay at the end of the first round. I think they need a versatile linebacker with speed who can cover and can rush the passer. It was a bit of a reach for need - I think the second round is his natural landing spot - but it is by far Green Bay's biggest need for me and he would be a very good fit.

I mocked him to Green Bay at the end of the first round. I think they need a versatile linebacker with speed who can cover and can rush the passer. It was a bit of a reach for need - I think the second round is his natural landing spot - but it is by far Green Bay's biggest need for me and he would be a very good fit.

Definitely Green Bay's biggest need--they have to get Matthews back outside opposite Peppers.

They could also use a NT to replace Raji, who I don't see them paying after giving Mike Daniels astronomical money and re-signing Guion for $3.5M+ per

DT JARRAN REED
ALABAMA
OLB KYLER FACKRELL
UTAH STATE
OLB DEION JONES
LSU
S JUSTIN SIMMONS
BOSTON COLLEGE
OT WILLIE BEAVERS
WESTERN MICHIGAN
QB BRANDON DOUGHTY
WESTERN KENTUCKY

I think the first pick fails a critical test that, IMO, all first and second round picks must pass, which is:

If they play to their ceiling, would you pay them their worth when they hit free agency?

I think the answer with Reed is probably no. 2 gap run defenders with modest pass rush skills are pretty replaceable.

You pay the players who drive the passing game and shut down the opposing passing game.

Also, I like Fackrell as a 3-4 OLB prospect but I don't know that he is scheme versatile to the point that he would be worth a big second contract if you switched back to a 4-3.

I think the first pick fails a critical test that, IMO, all first and second round picks must pass, which is:

If they play to their ceiling, would you pay them their worth when they hit free agency?

I think the answer with Reed is probably no. 2 gap run defenders with modest pass rush skills are pretty replaceable.

This is fair I think. I think his ceiling probably has him right on the yes / no boderline of that question but I take the point.

I suppose the question is would there be anyone at 19 who meets that? I am not sure there will.... I know your answer in that case then BADOL is take a Quarterback. If they reached and took Cook at #19 I would be ok with that actually.

This is fair I think. I think his ceiling probably has him right on the yes / no boderline of that question but I take the point.

I suppose the question is would there be anyone at 19 who meets that? I am not sure there will.... I know your answer in that case then BADOL is take a Quarterback. If they reached and took Cook at #19 I would be ok with that actually.

Drafting for this years needs is a pretty good recipe for long term failure.

When you pass on elite talent to patch holes or just to draft an obligatory DB, that is how you end up with Cyrus Kouandjio instead of Kony Ealy and Ross Cockrell instead of Martavis Bryant in the very deep 2014 draft.

If you aren't going to pick a QB in round 1, get the best player that you can at a high impact/premium position.

When you pass on elite talent to patch holes or just to draft an obligatory DB, that is how you end up with Cyrus Kouandjio instead of Kony Ealy and Ross Cockrell instead of Martavis Bryant in the very deep 2014 draft.

If you aren't going to pick a QB in round 1, get the best player that you can at a high impact/premium position.

What you're describing is basically how I ended up with Reed in the FanSpeak mock.

I wanted one of the LBs or Spence. All of them were gone (including Darron Lee).

The reason I settled on Reed above any of the other impact defenders is that he is versatile. He can play either a 1-gap or 2-gap scheme, play over the nose, push the pocket a bit, etc.

I honestly don't like the 19 slot. I think it's a bit low for the top group of impact defenders, and a bit high for the next crop.

I'm hoping that a few teams get foolish about defensive backs given the relative shallow crop of top-end talents this year and overdraft them, dropping one of the top-15 guys in our lap.

What you're describing is basically how I ended up with Reed in the FanSpeak mock.

I wanted one of the LBs or Spence. All of them were gone (including Darron Lee).

The reason I settled on Reed above any of the other impact defenders is that he is versatile. He can play either a 1-gap or 2-gap scheme, play over the nose, push the pocket a bit, etc.

I honestly don't like the 19 slot. I think it's a bit low for the top group of impact defenders, and a bit high for the next crop.

I'm hoping that a few teams get foolish about defensive backs given the relative shallow crop of top-end talents this year and overdraft them, dropping one of the top-15 guys in our lap.

I just don't see him as a guy who is going to be consistently disruptive against the pass......which pretty much excludes him from first round consideration, IMO.

The critique of drafting for need was in response to comments of GunnerBill not your mock draft.

As always, I'd pick the best QB available.

Short of having a great QB........your roster had better be rich with talent.

You can always patch 3-4 DE in free agency.

Guys like Reed turn into guys like Chris Canty or Dwan Edwards who end up moving around a lot.

That's not to say he won't be a valuable player and last 10 years in the league........but you don't need to draft that guy in round 1.

You draft the types of talent early that you can't get....or afford.....in free agency.

I don't disagree with any of that. My points were:

1. I like Reed a bit better than you but I accept it is a 50/50 as to whether I think he meets the key 2nd contract question.

2. I am not sure there will be a indisputable top player at a premium position.

3. I know you would go QB in that scenario and if they did (pretty sure Cook would be the best left) then I'd be happy with that.

I never suggested the Bills should draft for need in the 1st. I honestly think Reed might be BPA at that point. But I repeat I would be ok with them going QB.

Edited by GunnerBill

DT ROBERT NKEMDICHE

OLE MISS

DT VERNON BUTLER

LOUISIANA TECH

OLB SU'A CRAVENS

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

OLB KAMALEI CORREA

BOISE STATE

CB FABIAN MOREAU

UCLA

WR DEVON CAJUSTE

STANFORD

Edited by Pete

Premium OTC, with trades: (I ignore the recommended needs, as Bills will fill LB spot with FA, they need RT more than OG, and S more than CB)

OT JASON SPRIGGS --top OL Sr. Bowl, lateral quicks (former TE), can get to 2nd level, quick study, allowed 1 pressure in 437 snaps, most LT upside
INDIANA
WR MICHAEL THOMAS --6'3", 210, possession WR, feet, solid to work middle, tough, my-ball mentality, dependable, Keyshawn's nephew, athletic, YAC
OHIO STATE
3: R3P29
DT ANTHONY ZETTEL --the reason Nassib is even considered a first rounder is Zettel and Austin Johnson. We get one of them.
PENN STATE
4: R4P28
K ROBERTO AGUAYO --Most impact on the score in this round.
FLORIDA STATE
TE TYLER HIGBEE --My favorite TE in the draft not named Hunter. Good blocks, a mid-major like Clay was, size, frame, length
WESTERN KENTUCKY
6: R6P10
DE AZIZ SHITTU --1st team All-PAC12, Rose Bowl DMVP, quickness, penetrator, disruptor, needs strength program. Watch game vs Iowa
STANFORD
7: R6P21
DE OLB JAMES COWSER--Experience dropping into coverage from DE spot
SOUTHERN UTAH
8: R6P24
QB KEVIN HOGAN--sit him and have David Lee work with him.
STANFORD

I don't disagree with any of that. My points were:

1. I like Reed a bit better than you but I accept it is a 50/50 as to whether I think he meets the key 2nd contract question.

2. I am not sure there will be a indisputable top player at a premium position.

3. I know you would go QB in that scenario and if they did (pretty sure Cook would be the best left) then I'd be happy with that.

I never suggested the Bills should draft for need in the 1st. I honestly think Reed might be BPA at that point. But I repeat I would be ok with them going QB.

Just to be clear with those unfamiliar with this player Jarran Reed:

He recorded 1 sack in 15 games in 2015.

For a career total of 2 sacks in 29 games.

Stats don't tell the whole story but......no stats? :flirt:

I wasn't implying that you were for drafting for this years needs.......I was just discussing draft approach in response to your post.

I saw in another thread a fan on TSW wants to trade next years first round pick for extra top 60 picks this year so that the Bills can patch defensive holes. :doh: