Does OJ Have CTE?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't understand how a doctor who has never treated O.J. as far as I am aware can possibly even suggest that O.J. might have CTE when there is no approved method for trying to diagnose CTE in a living brain. This just seems like a ridiculous statement.

I'm certain that he and his discovery will have a long standing legacy in the world of sports in general and the NFL in particular.

Agreed 100%. What, if a doctor Makes a breakthrough discovery is he supposed to not share with anyone lest he be labeled an "attention seeker" by some anonymous guy on some website? Sorry if the guy wants young men to be aware of the risks before playing football. What an a**hole. I'm sure OJ probably does have CTE. Edited by metzelaars_lives

I still don't understand how a doctor who has never treated O.J. as far as I am aware can possibly even suggest that O.J. might have CTE when there is no approved method for trying to diagnose CTE in a living brain. This just seems like a ridiculous statement.

As a pathologist, he's a doctor who never treats anyone. He looks at slides and makes diagnoses for other doctors who treat people.

Agreed 100%. What, if a doctor discovers a breakthrough in cancer treatment and made his studies public, does that make him an attention-seeker? Sorry if the guy wants young men to be aware of the risks before playing football. What an a**hole. I'm sure OJ probably does have CTE.

An absurd comparison---and otherwise, have you heard of such a doctor or researcher going around the country grandstanding like this? No you haven't despite major cancer fighting discoveries and treatments over the past 30 years.

This guy suddenly decides, in 2016, that OJ has CTE?

"While Omalu stressed that CTE does not cause the criminal behavior that led to Simpson’s incarceration, he wants the case to serve a reminder of the life-altering damage that can result from playing football."

So...he says his CTE (which he would bet "his medical license on"--a joke in and of itself) did not cause OJ to commit crimes, yet he still wants OJ's (undiagnosed) CTE to serve as a reminder of.....what then?

Ridiculous.

As a pathologist, he's a doctor who never treats anyone. He looks at slides and makes diagnoses for other doctors who treat people.

An absurd comparison---and otherwise, have you heard of such a doctor or researcher going around the country grandstanding like this? No you haven't despite major cancer fighting discoveries and treatments over the past 30 years.

"While Omalu stressed that CTE does not cause the criminal behavior that led to Simpson’s incarceration, he wants the case to serve a reminder of the life-altering damage that can result from playing football."

So...he says his CTE (which he would bet "his medical license on"--a joke in and of itself) did not cause OJ to commit crimes, yet he still wants OJ's (undiagnosed) CTE to serve as a reminder of.....what then?

Ridiculous.

Even though he is a pathologist, I can't imagine he has access to scans of O.J.'s brain which I assume (but am not certain) would be the only way he could make such a statement with any type of certainty

Dr. Omalu desperately seeking that 16th minute of fame.

The formalin has gone to his head.

My first thought too. Now we're going to start guessing who has CTE? Seems a little out there for such a by-the-book pathologist.

Who gives a schit?

As much as I hope...

Uh....you do, apparently.

"While Omalu stressed that CTE does not cause the criminal behavior that led to Simpsons incarceration, he wants the case to serve a reminder of the life-altering damage that can result from playing football."

Ridiculous.

I don't think he's grandstanding. You think he's grandstanding because he has tainted the innocence of the game you and I both love so much and you resent him for it. He's just trying to make people aware of the dangers. Edited by metzelaars_lives

My first thought too. Now we're going to start guessing who has CTE? Seems a little out there for such a by-the-book pathologist.

Uh....you do, apparently.

I don't give a crap if he has brain damage. I do give a crap about the Bills keeping his name on the ring.

The public yawned. The games played on, with players taking extra care to drill eachother helmet to helmet every week.

No noticeable legacy.

Yeah, but just wait until that movie Concussion comes out.

I don't think he's grandstanding. You think he's grandstanding because he has tainted the innocence of the game you and I both love so much and you resent him for it. He's just trying to make people aware of the dangers.

He's making a ridiculous statement about the health of a man he has never met. He has discovered pathologic evidence of chronic trauma in the brains of every football player's brain he has examined. I have conceded that this will be found in every player's brain going forward. Yet no one has been able to conclude that this finding necessarily results in the behaviors he is attributing to it. The fact that so few players suffer from such disease questions the specificity of his finding for all of the symptoms he imagines for OJ. He himself says that CTE is not responsible for his criminal decisions and behavior. Then why on earth would he speculate (assume, really) that OJ has CTE?

Your cancer analogy was poor and this guy is clearly grandstanding. We all now know about CTE. No he wants to tell us which players have sequelae of the disease based on what he sees on TV and reads about them in the paper?

If you didn't know the definition of grandstanding before, you now do.

he was lucid as an actor/sports reporter at the time. He shouldn't be able to use this as an excuse

No, by all means use it as an excuse. In fact, introduce it on appeal:

"Your honor, the defendant can't be held responsible for his crimes, because he has CTE."

"Okay. Introduce the evidence proving he has CTE, and I'll consider commuting his sentence."

"But your honor, that proof can only be acquired at autopsy."

"So?"