Is it wise to grossly underpay your starting QB?

Thanks for the fact check. It does look like hes improved throughout the season but, the eye test only showed me he improved on converting the 3rd down pass plays vs the Jets moving the sticks instead of looking for the big play downfield. Youve seen more All-22 tape so your comment on him not being scared to step up into the pocket and make those throws is encouraging for next season.

Also to your aside the "limited to x amount of pass plays increase win %" is really skewed because of situational football scenarios. Having a full season and pre-season as a starter for the Bills, Tyrod is going to have to make those plays when the run isnt working next season or he wont be a starter for long in the NFL.

Yes, exactly. Whaley is sometimes exact and open in what he says when it regards player evaluation. He has been clear in saying a development they want to see with Taylor is for him to step up and find his throwing lanes and make those throws over the middle of the field. He also pointed out it's a fairly common thing for young QB to roll out when they feel pressure, it often comes with experience.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He played at a high level, but do you really think he was a "closer". In my mind, that's what we need to start seeing from him. I also wouldn't mind seeing more intermediate passing routes and getting rid of the ball quicker. Too many sacks from indecisiveness.

Whaley agrees with you.

I'm not sure most of the sacks are from indecisiveness. What I see (which may be worth the powder to blow it to h***) is that Taylor is too short to see/hit his middle guys once he steps out of the pocket. He could make those throws (at least some of the time) if he steps up and has a lane. His tendency is to roll out of the pocket when he feels pressure. At that point, the middle of the field is closed to him - it's all DL hands and bods. His choices are 1) buy time with his feet for a throw downfield 2) tuck it and run 3) dump off to a checkdown guy. His instinct seems to be to keep looking downfield, which is good, but sometimes it's not there.

I don't think it's indecisiveness. They're almost more like coverage sacks, except sometime there are open guys, it's just once he rolls out he can't hit them. Does that make sense?

I think it's not uncommon with young QB. Thing is some of them develop, and some of them don't. Whaley wants to see which Taylor is before he hands him the pen.

How much longer do you think Flacco, Brees and Palmer will play? It's not that crazy. You don't think the Ravens would love to have Taylor back?

I have friends that are die hard Ravens fans asking me to trade Tyrod bak to them.

Yes, exactly. Whaley is sometimes exact and open in what he says when it regards player evaluation. He has been clear in saying a development they want to see with Taylor is for him to step up and find his throwing lanes and make those throws over the middle of the field. He also pointed out it's a fairly common thing for young QB to roll out when they feel pressure, it often comes with experience.

I been watchin NFL network and they were talking bout Panthers went from a 7-8 to 15-1 team had something to do with how Cam wasnt stepping up in the pocket and making those throws until mid last year, which i think was his 4th year as a starter? I hope Tyrod puts it together quicker im def rootin for him.

If you thought we had cap issues this year, wait till we have to pony up for a real QB. But real QB's are the guys in the playoffs, so you suffer at other positions and draft cheap guys better than everyone else. That's simple, I figured it out. Now go do it. :)

Whaley agrees with you.

I'm not sure most of the sacks are from indecisiveness. What I see (which may be worth the powder to blow it to h***) is that Taylor is too short to see/hit his middle guys once he steps out of the pocket. He could make those throws (at least some of the time) if he steps up and has a lane. His tendency is to roll out of the pocket when he feels pressure. At that point, the middle of the field is closed to him - it's all DL hands and bods. His choices are 1) buy time with his feet for a throw downfield 2) tuck it and run 3) dump off to a checkdown guy. His instinct seems to be to keep looking downfield, which is good, but sometimes it's not there.

I don't think it's indecisiveness. They're almost more like coverage sacks, except sometime there are open guys, it's just once he rolls out he can't hit them. Does that make sense?

I think it's not uncommon with young QB. Thing is some of them develop, and some of them don't. Whaley wants to see which Taylor is before he hands him the pen.

The ability of Roman and Kromer to teach planned pocket breakdowns will go a long way with T2. The line needs to recognize the potential passing lanes as Tyrod steps up OR consciously moves the pocket. The Wrs etc need to be aware of what is happening back there too. ! There is a time to block out the defender and come back to the ball.

This is truly a skill that needs trust synergy and experience. This is something i expect to improve the second year together

Edited by 3rdand12

I agree with the OP, start the dialogue this off-season. IMO if the Bills defence lived up to it's billing this year the Bills would have easily been in the playoffs and the talk would be completely different.

This offence is only going to get better.

Unless Tyrod falls on his face or is seriously injured and misses starts, whaley knows he will get paid. as does anyone with any sensibility.

There are not enough to go around. as a matter of fact, look at what happens to Rg3 and Manziel this off season.

Unless Tyrod falls on his face or is seriously injured and misses starts, whaley knows he will get paid. as does anyone with any sensibility.

There are not enough to go around. as a matter of fact, look at what happens to Rg3 and Manziel this off season.

Tyrod may or may not become a "franchise" QB, but he isn't a proven knucklehead like those guys. So he's got THAT going for him...

Tyrod may or may not become a "franchise" QB, but he isn't a proven knucklehead like those guys. So he's got THAT going for him...

gotta take what we can as Bills fans right ?

But i want to be noted for believing in TT and Roman.

The truth of the matter is yes, as Bills fans you gotta take what you can get. I like many others have been hoping for solid QB play for a decade and a half, let alone great QB play. Unless there is a QB in the draft that's obviously better than what we have i wouldn't risk letting him get to the point of negotiating with other teams.

Sure Roman may have a lot to do with his success but he does seem to have a grasp on the position. He had some games that weren't stellar but no QB in history had perfect games every time they stepped on the field.

Just my opinion, I'm sure many disagree.

The weird part is that the Bills window is small. They haven't won anything but their window is closing. By next year they are going to be paying their QB $20M (ish), Gilmore like a top 10 CB and thinking about Watkins as a top 5 WR. It's nice to have talent but it can definitely impact everything else.

We do have a small window. I can see how that could be true. The problem with this team is we have so rarely bottomed out to truly rebuild and the times we do, its not far enough or the best QB available is EJ Manuel.

Anyways, no I don't think we should give Tyrod Taylor a big contract right now. It's desperation to keep talent, out of fear of losing talent, because you're desperate. I'd rather risk not paying Taylor on the off chance he leaves and pay him more. It's far less riskier than overpaying him right now and he regresses, or just does not get better. That Fitzpatrick contract burned us, and frankly I wish we kept him.

I like Tyrod and I think he is good. However, he's not THAT good and we only have a 1 year look at a career backup, 6th round pick, in an offense designed to limit his vulnerabilities. We're not dealing with Andrew Luck or Cam Newton here. No, we should not pay him and yes, we should try to draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. We should keep doing that until we have the guy, because we're never going to get over the hump in Tom Brady's division otherwise. We get a good enough quarterback and a good offense around here, I'm ok with an average defense. Buffalo wants to be the Carolina Panthers, but we can't do it with a poor man's Cam Newton.

“Of course I want to be the long-term guy,” Taylor said, via NFL.com. “I love playing for the organization, I love playing for the coaches, I love being around the guys. Like I said, I want to be the long-term guy for them. Ultimately that’s up to them. I know I’m under contract for another year, but right now I’m out here just taking it all in.”

http://nfltraderumors.co/141464-2/

Russell Wilson played all out before he was given the big payday. Taylor seems very level headed and reasonable .

The salary cap is a problem for now.

“Of course I want to be the long-term guy,” Taylor said, via NFL.com. “I love playing for the organization, I love playing for the coaches, I love being around the guys. Like I said, I want to be the long-term guy for them. Ultimately that’s up to them. I know I’m under contract for another year, but right now I’m out here just taking it all in.”

http://nfltraderumors.co/141464-2/

Russell Wilson played all out before he was given the big payday. Taylor seems very level headed and reasonable .

The salary cap is a problem for now.

I agree on both counts.

Kirby has the important point.

In a couple years this team will look very different.

But next year i hope we have good reason to pay TT.

how many wins are those worth?

How many players on a football team?

Will holding your breath and stomping your feet get you Aaron Rogers?