John Scott railroaded by NHL, Now AllStar MVP!!!

"John Scott was headed to the All-Star game in Nashville courtesy of fans stuffing the ballot box. That, however, apparently all fell apart on Friday when the Arizona Coyotes traded the 6-foot-8 enforcer and regular healthy scratch to the Eastern Conference Montreal Canadiens, who in turn promptly dispatched Scott to the minors.

The optics here don’t look very good and could prompt the NHLPA to investigate the matter with a view to filing a grievance. It would turn on Scott possibly suffering an economic loss as a result of the trade. Players on the winning All-Star team each get about USD$90,000. For Scott, this would have been a significant sum given his salary of $575,000. As well, Scott is 33 years old and has just been shipped to a team that has no use for him. This may mean the end of his NHL career, and by extension, a stream of income."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmacramalla/2016/01/17/trade-of-all-star-john-scott-raises-questions-of-motive/#2715e4857a0b654994a06b9d

EDIT:

And so it ended as it began: With a fan vote. With people – for various reasons – shoving a career enforcer with five goals in 285 career games to the top of the All-Star voting leaderboard. With the NHL seeking to subvert or deny that will, either through disregard or disqualification. With those fans’ voices growing louder, more defiant, and eventually forcing the NHL to acknowledge the man and the movement.

So the same organization that told John Scott to reconsider his All-Star status because of what “his daughters would think” now had to reconsider their own decision on Scott, as his daughters watched from the stands.

As the Pacific Division won the All-Star Game tournament, 1-0, the NHL had to acknowledge that Scott received the most Twitter votes – although, like with the initial fan vote that got him into the game, no totals were revealed – and was the 2016 NHL All-Star Game Most Valuable Player.

(They also probably knew that anyone not named “John Scott” from the Pacific Division team would have been lustily booed by the Nashville fans.)

“If somebody’s very unwanted, he becomes [a] hero. That’s why I love it. There was the story. The guy was unwanted from the NHL and I think from the NHL, whatever happened today I think it’s probably [one of] the best stories to happen at All-Star Game.”

With that, Scott was lifted off the ice by Drew Doughty and Brent Burns in celebration.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/mvp-john-scott-and-his-fans-overwhelm-oblivious-nhl--again-034307795.html

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Sounds like it's time to change the all star balloting process.

Or just do away with the All star game. In the cable TV/internet age, the whole appeal of All Star games has been lost.

pretty much, haven't watched an all star game since Hasek dominated that 3rd period so many yrs ago.

pretty much, haven't watched an all star game since Hasek dominated that 3rd period so many yrs ago.

It's a classless move by the NHL. They wanted to avoid a black eye, and they failed miserably. The guy isn't guilty of anything except being a bad hockey player. He shouldn't have to pack up his pregnant wife and get exiled to the minors in Newfoundland because the league doesn't agree with the fans. Didn't Chris Nilan make an all-star team? I know Dale Hunter played, and he was one of the all time great cheap-shot artists.

https://sabres.buffalonews.com/2016/01/17/john-scotts-former-teammates-hope-to-see-him-make-all-star-appearance/

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't watched a NHL All Star game in probably 20 years but watched it yesterday. Mostly because of the intrigue I had with the 3 on 3 format but also because I was curious how the whole John Scott debacle was going to turn out.

I was extremely surprised how well it went overall. Nashville appeared to embrace the whole thing quite well, the skills competition the day before appeared to be a big hit and the game(s) themselves were entertaining. The network played up the Scott thing, though the moron on the bench interviewing was a f-Ing a$$hole to Scott, imo.

If the NHL does a lot of the same things here on out for their All Star games, I believe they will definitely be able to get fans back on board. They were able to make it a fun show, include local celebrities and players families into the mix and keep it entertaining.

Congrats to Scott and the NHL Marketers. Bettman is still a tool and should be fired!

Edited by flomoe

Bettman was give a 6 year extension on his contract.

So we get 6 more years of fans booing him when he presents the Stanley Cup to the winng team's captain.

I haven't watched a NHL All Star game in probably 20 years but watched it yesterday. Mostly because of the intrigue I had with the 3 on 3 format but also because I was curious how the whole John Scott debacle was going to turn out.

I was extremely surprised how well it went overall. Nashville appeared to embrace the whole thing quite well, the skills competition the day before appeared to be a big hit and the game(s) themselves were entertaining. The network played up the Scott thing, though the moron on the bench interviewing was a f-Ing !@#$ to Scott, imo.

If the NHL does a lot of the same things here on out for their All Star games, I believe they will definitely be able to get fans back on board. They were able to make it a fun show, include local celebrities and players families into the mix and keep it entertaining.
Congrats to Scott and the NHL Marketers. Bettman is still a tool and should be fired!

Great article! I could not be happier for John Scott. His inclusion made what is typically a pretty boring game, much more enjoyable. I especially enjoyed the "fight" with Kane!