Buffalo Rising

billsfan_34

What are these "property costs" you refer to? How much do WNYers pay to heat their homes in the winter? Cool them in the summer? How often to they have to rebuild the deck, redo the landscaping, replace the roof, repaint, pay for snow removal, etc etc?

Let me clarify: "base housing costs."

The repainting/landscaping/roof/deck are all similar from PA to WNY. The snow removal costs would be higher, yes. AC cheaper in summer, heat more expensive in winter. Taxes higher, but house costs are like 30-40% cheaper. A fair trade, in my case.

In the case of my girlfriend, who's a NJ resident, the taxes are about half as much in WNY. Their property taxes are obscene.

Edited by joesixpack

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And your point?

Let me clarify: "base housing costs."

The repainting/landscaping/roof/deck are all similar from PA to WNY. The snow removal costs would be higher, yes. AC cheaper in summer, heat more expensive in winter. Taxes higher, but house costs are like 30-40% cheaper. A fair trade, in my case.

Not in my mind. Lots of trade offs I'm not willing to give up to move from CA to NY.

Its really humming in parts of downtown. Looks like it is somewhat sustainable too. People are always down there now. Parts that were untouched and dangerous for years have good hangouts, eats, and shops.

We do need to land a whale or 2 in the way of Fortune 500 companies. Until that happens, i will remain cautiously optimistic instead of bullish

I would also like for them to put a brick and mortar amphitheatre by the waterfront somewhere south of Canalside. Take all the Darien Lake shows and attract more shows. Also rip out the skyway. It is literally an albatross over everyone's head down ther

And Wegmans IS that good. I have lived elsewhere in the country where I knew (non WNY) people would actually plan home elocation on where a Wegmans was.

Im not being a homer either. Sahlens is overrated. Mighty Taco went down the tubes once the one owner got out (Lloyds is 100x better than Mighty). Webers is overrated (Im a mustard guy... Nances is much much better).

Funny you mention Nances which wegmans does not carry. Topps does though. Anyway while at a publix in Clearwater fl. Yesterday there was Nances mustard at $2.50 a jar and all three kinds.

Here's some advice... For snow removal... Handle it yourself. That way the chunk of change that goes into personal snow removal moves to the public roads.

I have a 90 year old widow neighbor... I clear snow for here, so does my others neighbors. She has no problem living uo north, driving, etc...

Same with landscaping in summer.

Boom... Zero cost.

Here's some advice... For snow removal... Handle it yourself. That way the chunk of change that goes into personal snow removal moves to the public roads.

I have a 90 year old widow neighbor... I clear snow for here, so does my others neighbors. She has no problem living uo north, driving, etc...

Same with landscaping in summer.

Boom... Zero cost.

Zero costs?? You're one of the guys who says government provided higher education is free right?

Ok but doing the landscaping yourself is zero costs?

I guess you are right... I finally got a guy to come out and fertilize 4-5 times a year. It is 30 bucks. But basically zero.

And if you are looking @ 750K and can't pull down the 2% of that a year, you are in over your head... That buys a lot in Upstate New York... Even on a lake in The Finger Lakes? Even here and just around the corner in Michigan's wine country, with all the Chicago money floating around, that buys a lot! Even if it doesn't include a lot of land, it will be a lot of house to maintain. 750k outside of big markets... Tain't no small "retiree cottage." Unless the NYC market is pulling that Finger Lake number up?

I guess you are right... I finally got a guy to come out and fertilize 4-5 times a year. It is 30 bucks. But basically zero.

And if you are looking @ 750K and can't pull down the 2% of that a year, you are in over your head... That buys a lot in Upstate New York... Even on a lake in The Finger Lakes? Even here and just around the corner in Michigan's wine country, with all the Chicago money floating around, that buys a lot! Even if it doesn't include a lot of land, it will be a lot of house to maintain. 750k outside of big markets... Tain't no small "retiree cottage." Unless the NYC market is pulling that Finger Lake number up?

Who said anything about not being able to afford that? What does a homeowner in NY get for that $15,000 a year? How fair is it that a homeowner pays $1250 a month while the neighbor who rents pays nothing?

Who said anything about not being able to afford that? What does a homeowner in NY get for that $15,000 a year? How fair is it that a homeowner pays $1250 a month while the neighbor who rents pays nothing?

Whatever... The renter in the end owns nothing. Piss and moan about 2% fee to the gov't for YOUR ownership of the land. Go rent your retirement home by the lake then?

2% seems fair?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Just the !@#$ing mosquitoes alone. :lol:

We have no idea how lucky were are here in CA in regard to that alone. God I hate those things.

That's one good thing about the drought in the Buffalo area, no mosquitoes this summer!

That's one good thing about the drought in the Buffalo area, no mosquitoes this summer!

Agreed, & up here the mosquitoes are a mild nussance 2 months a year. Not nearly as big of a problem as down south or in Texas,.

Agreed, & up here the mosquitoes are a mild nussance 2 months a year. Not nearly as big of a problem as down south or in Texas,.

Its not the mosquitoes you have to worry about here. Its the :censored: chiggers.

If those things ceased to exist the world would be a much happier place.