Buffalo Rising

billsfan_34

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I moved out due to lack of jobs, ETC. This is about two years late for my wife and I. Its great to see because for as much as I rag Buffalo, Its my hometown and I still love it.

My only concerns are, Buffalo needs to attract large Business to take the empty buildings to continue the growth. They are still behind larger already booming cities.

The way to entice them is Tax breaks, which concern me.

Also P.S. Sahlens hot dogs will eventually be in Publix stores, which is effing awesome!!!!!

I never did get the Wegman's love, maybe because I worked @ Dubel's (Bells)... Everytime we go back (which is every other month or so), I find better selection @ Tops.

And Wegman's is a Rochester establisment.

There is only one thing I can't get here and it is Weber's mustard, but we stock up. I am sure I can find horseradish mustard on the Polish NW Side of Chicago though. Bison (sour cream dip) dip too... But Helluva is national or @ least here.

I just can't find want I want @ Wegman's. But when it comes to bells and whistles like hot food, etc... A place like Mariano's here is exactly the same, if not better.

I am glad, BFLo is rebounding. Every time we go back, it just feels more and more like every other place nationally. We just spent the weekend in The UP of Michigan, now that place feels like BFLo did 50, 30 years ago. Houghton, Michigan would be my dream place to retire!!!! BFLo needs to capture that vibe w/out getting to transformed into what others are doing nationally... And by God, don't listen to NYC! It will wreck BFLo. Create a city that works, not just around a bubble of service industry and concert events.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

This takes a lot of work from all sides. The city, the residents and business owners all have to work together and work hard. Oakland has been going through a transition similar to this. What Oakland has that Buffalo doesn't is SF across the bay that is pricing people out like crazy. So what is happening is good but there is still a ton of work to do. I've been gone from Buffalo a very long time so I can't compare but I do know that Buffalo, like Oakland, has a bad rap and a stigma to it's name. I'm not sure how real this is for Buffalo but Oakland absolutely deserved it. This is very good news for Buffalo and I wish it and all of you living there luck.

We have lived in the Bay area for 7.5 years and 4 of those in Oakland. We just had our house appraised for $1,035,000. We paid $475,000 for it 4 years ago. That is great for us but I'm concerned about how that will impact the ability of the area to continue to attract new families. Because of that and Oakland still has some major issues we are likely leaving in the next year or so. I was just for shitz and giggles looking at homes in the Finger Lakes just yesterday. Found a very nice place on the lake for $750k. Property taxes? $15,000!!! :o

In regards to Publix now having Sahlens, I just learned Duffs is opening a location about a mile from my house in GA!!!!!

Sahlens are good... But an all beef kosher dog better. I know, I am a heretic... But Sahlens way overrated. All beef like a RedHot Chicago way better. Skinless too... Better for health to.

Sorry... Forgot to take my St. John's wort today. :-)

This takes a lot of work from all sides. The city, the residents and business owners all have to work together and work hard. Oakland has been going through a transition similar to this. What Oakland has that Buffalo doesn't is SF across the bay that is pricing people out like crazy. So what is happening is good but there is still a ton of work to do. I've been gone from Buffalo a very long time so I can't compare but I do know that Buffalo, like Oakland, has a bad rap and a stigma to it's name. I'm not sure how real this is for Buffalo but Oakland absolutely deserved it. This is very good news for Buffalo and I wish it and all of you living there luck.

We have lived in the Bay area for 7.5 years and 4 of those in Oakland. We just had our house appraised for $1,035,000. We paid $475,000 for it 4 years ago. That is great for us but I'm concerned about how that will impact the ability of the area to continue to attract new families. Because of that and Oakland still has some major issues we are likely leaving in the next year or so. I was just for shitz and giggles looking at homes in the Finger Lakes just yesterday. Found a very nice place on the lake for $750k. Property taxes? $15,000!!! :o

That's a major issue with Buffalo right now, the tax increases are only going to get higher as Buffalo expands.

I read a Forbes article the other day stating NY was the worst state to retire in because you lose so much of your retirement to taxes.

It has Toronto... But the damn border issue will always be a roadblock. It really effs up things... Places like Milwaukee have Chicgao, etc... But Toronto being in another country is a major problem. Something they didnt envision in 1959 when BFLo was slated for decline and Toronto on the rise. Who would think stuff like 911, passports, etc... Would be an issue 40 years later.

I am gonna say it and get blasted... BFLo needs Toronto. NYC is just too damn far away... Whole different market.

750k and only 15k in taxes... I pay 6k on 150k in Illinois... And I am in Republican Will County, Illinois.

Taxes are a non-issue.

You made over half a million... Somebody has to provide services like snow removal, etc... Like one poster said above, taxes are higher, but services are too!

I never did get the Wegman's love, maybe because I worked @ Dubel's (Bells)... Everytime we go back (which is every other month or so), I find better selection @ Tops.

And Wegman's is a Rochester establisment.

There is only one thing I can't get here and it is Weber's mustard, but we stock up. I am sure I can find horseradish mustard on the Polish NW Side of Chicago though. Bison (sour cream dip) dip too... But Helluva is national or @ least here.

I just can't find want I want @ Wegman's. But when it comes to bells and whistles like hot food, etc... A place like Mariano's here is exactly the same, if not better.

I am glad, BFLo is rebounding. Every time we go back, it just feels more and more like every other place nationally. We just spent the weekend in The UP of Michigan, now that place feels like BFLo did 50, 30 years ago. Houghton, Michigan would be my dream place to retire!!!! BFLo needs to capture that vibe w/out getting to transformed into what others are doing nationally... And by God, don't listen to NYC! It will wreck BFLo. Create a city that works, not just around a bubble of service industry and concert events.

Your out of your mind if you think Tops has a better selection than Wegmans.

& Chef, I don't think $15K on $750K is that bad. I pay around 7,500 in Lancaster. My house just got appraised for $250K 2 months ago. I payed $190K for it 10m years ago. Not the property increase you see in other parts of the country for sure. Your property increase is insane. If your almost ready to retire, you could sell, move back east, by a beautiful house & still pocket 300 grand or so. Not bad for something you purchased just 4 years ago.

Edited by Gordio

Chef: What would your fair price be for taxes on that 750k house, on the lake in The Finger Lakes? Finger Lakes region being a little bit more prime than other similar places I can think of.

2% is 15k

2% seems like a fair yearly "fee." What are fees for services in other industries? Surely they can't be any lower?

Now... Let's say make taxes 1% of that 750k, which is $7,500 a year. Is that fair? That is a savings of 7.5k a year... That difference will buy you 33 years more on the 1/2 million you made from your Cali sale.

Are you gonna live to 122? Even 89 is a pretty long life. I am sure you will get buy in your 90's.

And that isn't even reinvesting your earnings from the Cali sale.

Call me a simpleton, but getting sticker shock on a 750k piece of lakefront property over 15k in taxes is just a little dubious.

IMHO.

& Chef, I don't think $15K on $750K is that bad. I pay around 7,500 in Lancaster. My house just got appraised for $250K 2 months ago. I payed $190K for it 10m years ago. Not the property increase you see in other parts of the country for sure. Your property increase is insane. If your almost ready to retire, you could sell, move back east, by a beautiful house & still pocket 300 grand or so. Not bad for something you purchased just 4 years ago.

I couldnt find the bread for my father... Had to go to Target... LoL... He's in his 80s, born and raised in Cheektowaga. For some reason, he likes Bimbo bread. Bimbo (Beem-bo), there is a joke in there, right.

;-)

But, I am with you Gordio. I was just a Bells guy. Honestly, I am more Xs and Os in supermarkets and not enamoured by the perimeter shopping. Now my wife & children on the other hand... /wallbash.

Even if taxes are higher on the real estate in WNY the property costs are VASTLY cheaper than where I or my girlfriend lives.

There you have it!

So many great places in this country. One reason why I mentioned the UP of Michigan... It has everything, and remote enough where SOME property is dirt cheap. I can even think of many places along western Lake Michigan too. Property for property, goes toe to toe w/what Finger Lakes offers... And it is spectacular wine and fruit country too!

Its really humming in parts of downtown. Looks like it is somewhat sustainable too. People are always down there now. Parts that were untouched and dangerous for years have good hangouts, eats, and shops.

We do need to land a whale or 2 in the way of Fortune 500 companies. Until that happens, i will remain cautiously optimistic instead of bullish

I would also like for them to put a brick and mortar amphitheatre by the waterfront somewhere south of Canalside. Take all the Darien Lake shows and attract more shows. Also rip out the skyway. It is literally an albatross over everyone's head down there.

And Wegmans IS that good. I have lived elsewhere in the country where I knew (non WNY) people would actually plan home location on where a Wegmans was.

Im not being a homer either. Sahlens is overrated. Mighty Taco went down the tubes once the one owner got out (Lloyds is 100x better than Mighty). Webers is overrated (Im a mustard guy... Nances is much much better).

Its really humming in parts of downtown. Looks like it is somewhat sustainable too. People are always down there now. Parts that were untouched and dangerous for years have good hangouts, eats, and shops.

We do need to land a whale or 2 in the way of Fortune 500 companies. Until that happens, i will remain cautiously optimistic instead of bullish

I would also like for them to put a brick and mortar amphitheatre by the waterfront somewhere south of Canalside. Take all the Darien Lake shows and attract more shows. Also rip out the skyway. It is literally an albatross over everyone's head down there.

And Wegmans IS that good. I have lived elsewhere in the country where I knew (non WNY) people would actually plan home location on where a Wegmans was.

Im not being a homer either. Sahlens is overrated. Mighty Taco went down the tubes once the one owner got out (Lloyds is 100x better than Mighty). Webers is overrated (Im a mustard guy... Nances is much much better).

What's Nances?

I sometimes mix horseradish and French's Classic when I run out. I know... Not the same! But will do.

https://www.amazon.com/Nances-Mustard-Hot-10-ounce/dp/B00061EPLI/ref=pd_bxgy_325_img_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=K45FAS5C7PDYM5C0YDGM

b627ce45f1f112c4b64c59c558eebbc2.jpg

I believe it is a Rochester product. I enjoy trying many mustards (and make my own)... and this is probably my favorite. There are some 'silly-hot' ones I probably like better.... but for the somewhat common man who hasnt been building tolerance to spicy foods 3 times a day for 20 years, this is my top recommendation.

Edited by May Day 10

When your property taxes are as high as a mortgage then there is an issue. I am thinking of selling buying something for cash and pocketing the rest but sure as hell won't be in NY. Likely someplace with no income tax and reasonable property taxes. NY is at the bottom of the list in both those categories. BTW I pay the same in property taxes for a house appraised at 4 times the value. Now granted my taxes are not based on the assessed value however I can transfer that base to another home in CA regardless of it's value.

Even if taxes are higher on the real estate in WNY the property costs are VASTLY cheaper than where I or my girlfriend lives.

What are these "property costs" you refer to? How much do WNYers pay to heat their homes in the winter? Cool them in the summer? How often to they have to rebuild the deck, redo the landscaping, replace the roof, repaint, pay for snow removal, etc etc?

This is the wild card for Oakland. With the Silicon Valley and the Tech of SF so close they can and are attracting some whales. Uber is about to open a 330,000 square foot office space (old Sears building) in downtown that will bring in 3,000 high paying jobs. Pandora has their corporate headquarters in Oakland. If the city can play their cards right (and knowing the leader here that's a HUGE if) it could come out of this real good. Oakland is a conundrum. The wonderful positives it has are so overshadowed but it's very well known downsided.