A few moronic plays and bad calls from 10-6

We should have won the KC game. We should have won the jacksonville game. We could have beaten the Giants. We could have been 11-5 without any additional effort and a few different ref calls and missed tackles. But we would have waddled into the playoffs without 10-12 starters, and lost anyway.

I'm okay with the 8-8. It has caused the powers to make changes. Changes that will result in a better team. I think we're good at QB and RB. Our OL led the league in rushing missing some of our best RB's. We can strengthen RT and maybe RG will be okay when Miller gets his feet on the ground. TE should be fine. After reading what was happening with Woods and Hogan, if they're healthy I think we might be good at WR. They'll draft somebody.

Our defense needs to get back on track. Mario has to go. Draft a pass rusher in the first, and keep Kyle, Marcel, and the rest of the guys. I'd keep Nigel, Preston, and get some help at LB. The corners are really good, and if Aaron Williams returns, we'll have him and Graham. Let Rob and Rex get the defense in order, and we'll be fine.

Fire Crossman and get a better guy in there. Hell, bring back Bobby April.

We'll add a few more wins, and we'll be in the playoffs the next 5 years.

We should have won the KC game. We should have won the jacksonville game. We could have beaten the Giants. We could have been 11-5 without any additional effort and a few different ref calls and missed tackles. But we would have waddled into the playoffs without 10-12 starters, and lost anyway.

I'm okay with the 8-8. It has caused the powers to make changes. Changes that will result in a better team. I think we're good at QB and RB. Our OL led the league in rushing missing some of our best RB's. We can strengthen RT and maybe RG will be okay when Miller gets his feet on the ground. TE should be fine. After reading what was happening with Woods and Hogan, if they're healthy I think we might be good at WR. They'll draft somebody.

Our defense needs to get back on track. Mario has to go. Draft a pass rusher in the first, and keep Kyle, Marcel, and the rest of the guys. I'd keep Nigel, Preston, and get some help at LB. The corners are really good, and if Aaron Williams returns, we'll have him and Graham. Let Rob and Rex get the defense in order, and we'll be fine.

Like your optimism TC and hope your right. Tougher schedule next year so wins will require better coaching and less penalties, better special teams play too. Unfortunately, it looks like Crossman will likely stay as the Bills fired his assistant coach. I wish Rex would look at the talent of his defense and run a scheme that best fits their talents instead of running the hybrid 3-4, 4-3 schemes. I would like to see Bills' 2 minute offense improve also. There seems to be no sense of urgency in a close game that they're behind in...Just my 2 cents. Go Bills and draft wisely!

I appreciate the concept, but it cuts both ways. We were also a few plays away from 6-10. I suspect that's how it is for all middling teams.

GO BILLS!!!

It nearly always seems they win some they shouldn't and lose some they shouldn't.

That said, Rex's 8-8 was a better record than Marrone's first year's record of 6-10.

I think Rex and company learned a bit this year, e.g., this isn't a cakewalk. You don't just show up and expect to win. I think he'll have next season's squad better prepared, and he won't be gushing at the 8x10 glossy photos of his defensive stars and believing they've learned his scheme by osmosis.

But we didn't

This offseason is going to be intriguing to see how the staff approaches this year's underachieving defense. Is there going to be an infusion of new players? Are the coaches going to reorient themselves to the players or are the players going to be expected to reorient themselves to what the coaches want them to do?

I get the sense from the post-season comments from Rex that he is going to be even more invested in his preferred scheme than he was last year. Is this the best approach to take? I don't believe so but he is the authoritative voice on that fundamental issue.

As K-9 points out the "what ifs" line of thinking cuts both ways. That futile line of reasoning also applies to the opposition. So instead of lamenting on what should or could have been it is more important to focus on the actual outcome.

In my mind this year's team was a playoff (wildcard) team that was undercut by the HC's stubborn approach toward the once formidable defense. Something went terribly wrong. It was obvious that the HC and the players were not on the same page. Was it more of a player problem or a coach's problem, or a combination of both?

Without a doubt how TT develops is a critical issue. But for me whether the defense rebounds or not is the most interesting issue. The success of the team and the longevity of the coach are at stake as to how things play out on the defensive side of the ball.

My mantra for next season is: No more excuses!

Edited by JohnC

I think it's pretty simple. If they don't make the playoffs(or have a winning record but just miss out) Rex is a goner.

I don't see it happening, but I've discussed my thoughts on Rex ad nauseam.

My views on Rex are unshakable. (You know where I stand on that issue There's no need to elaborate and get my juices in a state of agitation.) You don't have sustained success with such a mediocre and sloppy HC. Could there be periodic episodes of success with Rex? Yes. But ultimately the mediocrity is exposed. His blustering act irritates me so very much. Not good enough!

I appreciate the concept, but it cuts both ways. We were also a few plays away from 6-10. I suspect that's how it is for all middling teams.

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed! Should have, could have, would have. Good coaches make that difference and or would not have had us in those positions. If Rex and company learn from it and make improvements we can get there. I just hope Rex and company are willing and able to learn from this. I have doubts and hope I am wrong.

Go Bills!

It nearly always seems they win some they shouldn't and lose some they shouldn't.

That said, Rex's 8-8 was a better record than Marrone's first year's record of 6-10.

I think Rex and company learned a bit this year, e.g., this isn't a cakewalk. You don't just show up and expect to win. I think he'll have next season's squad better prepared, and he won't be gushing at the 8x10 glossy photos of his defensive stars and believing they've learned his scheme by osmosis.

Fair and reasonable.

I agree with others in that he should have no excuse this coming season, Pushing all the chips in!

I disagree with some his probability of success.

Do or die Rex

As much as I want to think Rex has learned some lessons, the hiring of his brother indicates to me that nothing has changed for either Rex or ownership.

The time for no more excuses has already expired. I fully expect we will miss the playoffs again, Rex will finally be fired (maybe), and we will start rebuiding again.

Hopefully by that time Pegs has learned to hire a proven HC not a self-promoting snakeoil salesman. Till then, my avatar stays.

Giants game set the tone of the rest of the season. They purposefully baited our players into PFs by admitted design. Then it became the story - Bills are undisciplined.

These blanket snippets that become true just cuz they are repeated so often.

Like Tyrod can't throw over the middle

We win the Giants game and at least one more if the refs picked up on the Giants' baiting. And at least called offsetting if not, PFs on them. Starting with the punch thrown by ODB on our DB.

Edited by moshermw

Giants game set the tone of the rest of the season. They purposefully baited our players into PFs by admitted design. Then it became the story - Bills are undisciplined.

These blanket snippets that become true just cuz they are repeated so often.

Like Tyrod can't throw over the middle

We win the Giants game and at least one more if the refs picked up on the Giants' baiting. And at least called offsetting if not, PFs on them. Starting with the punch thrown by ODB on our DB.

The Bills had the most penalties and the most penalty yards in the league in 2015. How is calling them undisciplined unfair?