East-West Shrine Game Rosters

Mark Vader

I could see him as the developmental prospect. They aren't going to be drafting a QB early. I would think that EJ remains as the #2 for another year otherwise they add another vet. The 3rd guy will be a developmental prospect IMO. Adams would fit that role.

Perish the EJ thought. If we can't do better than him as the back-up we're asking for big trouble, especially because Taylor runs as much as he does.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perish the EJ thought. If we can't do better than him as the back-up we're asking for big trouble, especially because Taylor runs as much as he does.

Yeah, that isn't what I want just what I think will happen. I'd love to have a vet in the meeting room that can help TT (like a Scahub type) and a young guy with upside.

Brilliant.

So are Drew Brees & Russell Wilson

Buddy, is that you?

So we have 2 out of thousands of QB's who came out a decade apart. Not exactly a great percentage. Never mind that Wilson has had the best defense in the NFL and a strong running game the past 4 years. The Bills would have made the playoffs with the Seahawks' defense over that time span.

But more specifically to Adams, when a guy says "I didn't think he was an NFL QB until this week," when there is no blitzing, and when he struggled with accuracy during the week, coupled with his height, I don't see a guy who warrants higher than a late round pick. I certainly wouldn't use a 3rd on him, much less a 2nd.

I don't watch anywhere near the amount of college ball that a lot of you guys do and when I do it tends to only be the big name programmes so a lot of the guys playing last night were new to me. I should also say I only watched the first half last night but here are my thoughts on the guys who flashed onto my radar enough to impress.

From the West Offense:

Obviously you have to start with Quarterback Vernon Adams who I had seen once for Oregan. I was already something of a fan and even though he certainly isn't the style of QB I'd want to Bills to be ideally looking for as the franchise answer - I did think as someone who would probably go undrafted he would be a good fit as an UDFA pick up here and could be someone who could progress to being the back up if TT proves to be the long term starter and you don't have to change your offense. Last night he was outstanding. Used his legs when he needed to but obviously had gone into that game determined to show scouts that he could be a passer. His first TD strike down the seam into the endzone to his TE was a big boy NFL style throw. He has plenty of arm, he looked like a leader out there and whilst there is no way I think you'd bring him in as a day one starter I think now it'd be s surprise if someone didn't take a 6th or 7th round flier. How he throws at the combine and his pro-day will be big for this kid.

The second guy I'd highlight on the West Offense was starting left guard, number 65 Alex Huettel from Bowling Green (seriously you guys have a college called Bowling Green??). He smashed open a couple of holes in the run game early, then had a big block getting out in front on a screen pass that went for a long completion. He then impressed when pulling round to the weak side to block for a counter run later in the half. What I liked about him in all those examples is he really finishes his blocks and finishes the play. Ourlads have him ranked as their 20th guard and whilst guard is not a top priority need for the Bills this draft I'd not be at all disappointed to see a late round pick spent on Huettel if last night was anything to go by.

Third on the offense was number 8 Geronimo Allison who has already been mentioned. A wide out who has natural size at 6'3 looked pretty good in space and had some moves for a big man. Nice hands, blocks well and has playmaking ability. He has a wirey frame and you would want to see him fill out somewhat for the NFL but again in a late round move if the right receivers haven't fallen to the Bills higher up and they are still looking for a "bigger" guy then he could be in the conversation.

From the West defense:

Defensive end James Cowser number 53 from Southern Utah flashed a couple of times early. Archetypal "high motor" guy never gives anything less than 100% on every play. Was playing as a DE in the mandatory 4-3 last night but probably figures to be a better fit as a 3-4 OLB in the NFL and maybe in something like the Bills 4-3 under could be a role player. Made a big special teams hit as well which might be his way of breaking onto a roster early.

Defensive end Aziz Shittu number 95 from Stanford was a disruptive force all first half on the line. He lacks the ideal explosiveness you would want from a traditional 4-3 end pass rusher put as an end in a 3-4 or even converted to a penetrating DT in a 4-3 he should have some success at the NFL level. Appears to be a smart guy with good instincts and some natural talent. Not sure he is a perfect fit here but could definitely be a successful player in the league.

Number 51 Aaron Wallace an inside linebacker who I had seen once this year play at UCLA. He played inside a lot last night but I think has mainly been an outside guy at UCLA. Might be a bit too much of a jack of all trades master of none type to become an NFL starter but he has decent instincts and particularly if he ends up undrafted is a guy I'd be keen to bring in as an UDFA and have a look at.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There were fewer flashes from the East who really struggled first half on offense in particular. However, a few caught the eye:

From the East Offense:

Number 18 wide receiver Robby Anderson who I first spotted when I watched Temple beat Penn State early in the season. He is another big, tall, raw and wirey guy but he was a possession receiver in that game who came up with a couple of tough short yardage catches and there were glimpses of that again last night. Not sure he makes it in the NFL but should get a shot to go to camp somewhere and carve a role out for himself.

From the East defense:

The East's MVP of the first half has also already been mentioned in this thread - number 91 Victor Ochi from Stony Brook. He maybe fits a bit into the "tweener" bracket at the next level but he is so quick and explosive off the line I think he can overcome that and be an effective player. Really loved the way he finished a play where having rushed and not quite got to Adams he pursued him to make an open field ankle tackle to prevent a big gain. Would actually be a nice fit in Rex Ryan's scheme I think but if the Bills want him they better be prepared to pick him... any thought he might get to UDFA status probably went out of the window with his display last night.

Also on the defensive line a guy that had been generating a bit of chatter all week number 97 Javon Hargrave. Disruptive force up in the middle of that line is not a typical anchor style DT and according to a few projection sites he figures to be a 5th round draft choice.... which is interesting because you know who he reminded me of? Another 5th round draft choice penetrating DT who was considered too small at 6'1 and around 300lbs and was seen as just a situational player? He looks to me like a Kyle Williams type. Not someone I'd be advocating the Bills pick given the questions about Kyle's fit in the Rex defense... but if this kid goes to a Carolina or a Seattle or an LA Rams.... I can see him being an instant contributor in the rotation and eventually a very good starter.

So we have 2 out of thousands of QB's who came out a decade apart. Not exactly a great percentage. Never mind that Wilson has had the best defense in the NFL and a strong running game the past 4 years. The Bills would have made the playoffs with the Seahawks' defense over that time span.

But more specifically to Adams, when a guy says "I didn't think he was an NFL QB until this week," when there is no blitzing, and when he struggled with accuracy during the week, coupled with his height, I don't see a guy who warrants higher than a late round pick. I certainly wouldn't use a 3rd on him, much less a 2nd.

No one is advocating a 2nd or 3rd on him. By all account Adams had a fantastic week (and season). He went from a guy that no one considered to a guy that is forcing people to consider him as a pro prospect. I'd much rather a guy that played himself into consideration instead of some guy that has disappointed on the field but has "measurables."

Thousands of 5' 11" QBs?

Anyway, your type of thinking--dismissing a guy out of hand because of his height, is the same thinking that dumb old Buddy used and spared us Wilson. You are clinging to the theory that Wilson's success is mainly due to a defense and "running game" (of which he is a major part). You should watch the guy play some time (behind an atrocious O-line annually, no less). It may change your misconception about him.

No one is advocating a 2nd or 3rd on him. By all account Adams had a fantastic week (and season). He went from a guy that no one considered to a guy that is forcing people to consider him as a pro prospect. I'd much rather a guy that played himself into consideration instead of some guy that has disappointed on the field but has "measurables."

So what round would you take him in then?

Thousands of 5' 11" QBs?

Anyway, your type of thinking--dismissing a guy out of hand because of his height, is the same thinking that dumb old Buddy used and spared us Wilson. You are clinging to the theory that Wilson's success is mainly due to a defense and "running game" (of which he is a major part). You should watch the guy play some time (behind an atrocious O-line annually, no less). It may change your misconception about him.

No, thousands of QB's, period. Again, you have 2 out of thousands over the past 30 years who are 6' or shorter with any sustained success. That's not a coincidence.

As for Buddy, he was set to take Wilson in the 4th but the Seahawks took him a round earlier than most teams would have. And contrary to what you may think, I think he's a good QB. But there's no doubt he benefits from a great defense and strong running game. I'd rather the Bills focus on getting TT more help at WR, OL, and defense, than looking for the needle in a haystack QB. I could see taking a late round flyer on Adams, as GunnerBill suggested, but that's about it.

As for Buddy, he was set to take Wilson in the 4th but the Seahawks took him a round earlier than most teams would have. And contrary to what you may think, I think he's a good QB. But there's no doubt he benefits from a great defense and strong running game. I'd rather the Bills focus on getting TT more help at WR, OL, and defense, than looking for the needle in a haystack QB. I could see taking a late round flyer on Adams, as GunnerBill suggested, but that's about it.

And people should be clear Adams isn't anywhere near as polished a passer as Russell Wilson was coming out. I would be surprised if Adams goes before the 5th. If I am Whaley and he is still there with my 6th round pick (currently we have no 7th rounder) I might pick him.

And people should be clear Adams isn't anywhere near as polished a passer as Russell Wilson was coming out. I would be surprised if Adams goes before the 5th. If I am Whaley and he is still there with my 6th round pick (currently we have no 7th rounder) I might pick him.

Yep. My point with Adams was the whole package, not just that he's 5'11".

This is how I feel. I'd be tempted to try to get a 7th if he is still there instead of letting him go as an UDFA.

This is how I feel. I'd be tempted to try to get a 7th if he is still there instead of letting him go as an UDFA.

I think he'll be long gone by the 7th, as someone will probably be looking for the next RW.

I think he'll be long gone by the 7th, as someone will probably be looking for the next RW.

I would be really surprised if he goes before the 5th as Gunner suggests. He went from a guy that was almost certainly not going to be drafted to a guy that has a chance to be. He isn't some hot prospect like RW was. Wilson was a polished passer with a LOT of experience. Wilson fell ONLY because of his size. Adams is a project similar to someone like Logan Thomas (obviously different measurables). Adams is a guy with some tools that someone may try to work with.

I would be really surprised if he goes before the 5th as Gunner suggests. He went from a guy that was almost certainly not going to be drafted to a guy that has a chance to be. He isn't some hot prospect like RW was. Wilson was a polished passer with a LOT of experience. Wilson fell ONLY because of his size. Adams is a project similar to someone like Logan Thomas (obviously different measurables). Adams is a guy with some tools that someone may try to work with.

If RW hadn't had success, I'd agree with you. It will be interesting to see where he goes and how he does in the NFL.