East-West Shrine Game Rosters

Mark Vader

If RW hadn't had success, I'd agree with you. It will be interesting to see where he goes and how he does in the NFL.

The point is that Wilson had success because of his skills as a passer. Google his stats from that year at Wisconsin. He was fantastic. Adams is a totally different guy. He is the same size but nowhere near as accomplished as a passer.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we have 2 out of thousands of QB's who came out a decade apart. Not exactly a great percentage. Never mind that Wilson has had the best defense in the NFL and a strong running game the past 4 years. The Bills would have made the playoffs with the Seahawks' defense over that time span.

But more specifically to Adams, when a guy says "I didn't think he was an NFL QB until this week," when there is no blitzing, and when he struggled with accuracy during the week, coupled with his height, I don't see a guy who warrants higher than a late round pick. I certainly wouldn't use a 3rd on him, much less a 2nd.

I don't see how his performance yesterday sky rocketed Adams into a middle round pick. He had a nice showing against TCU in their bowl game until he left with a concussion. Oregon was up 31-0 at the time of the injury and went on to lose the game. You would think anyone being fair would have used that game as evidence of NFL talent. Now he performs in a "game" that has rules which limit defenses and suddenly he is a prospect?

Adams can play the position and has thrown into windows which would suggest he could have some level of success in the NFL. The other side of the coin says he is diminutive and he has not shown the instincts to avoid big hits. That in itself has to worry any NFL GM. 6th-7th rounder IMO but I wouldn't be surprised to see a team reach in say the 5th or so.

So what round would you take him in then?

No, thousands of QB's, period. Again, you have 2 out of thousands over the past 30 years who are 6' or shorter with any sustained success. That's not a coincidence.

As for Buddy, he was set to take Wilson in the 4th but the Seahawks took him a round earlier than most teams would have. And contrary to what you may think, I think he's a good QB. But there's no doubt he benefits from a great defense and strong running game. I'd rather the Bills focus on getting TT more help at WR, OL, and defense, than looking for the needle in a haystack QB. I could see taking a late round flyer on Adams, as GunnerBill suggested, but that's about it.

How many under 6 foot QBs from top 25 programs have been drafted? Doesn't make sense to lump them in with all QB's and then say there aren't enough.

Not sure I would take him at all. But it has nothing to do with his height.

Buddy took a known shaky WR instead of Wilson because he was stupid. It was a predictably colossal error.

Every QB benefits from a great defense and strong running game, so it's hardly worth mentioning as though Wilson in particular benefits more than most. Wilson is that team's second leading rusher.

Yep. My point with Adams was the whole package, not just that he's 5'11".

Actually, that's not how you began this particular discussion. You mentioned his height only, said "not thanks". That WAS your point until you were challenged on it.

I think he'll be long gone by the 7th, as someone will probably be looking for the next RW.

No one would ever confuse this kid with Wilson coming out of college. Their careers and performance are not similar.

The point is that Wilson had success because of his skills as a passer. Google his stats from that year at Wisconsin. He was fantastic. Adams is a totally different guy. He is the same size but nowhere near as accomplished as a passer.

I understand your point. I'm saying I see someone taking him higher than he should otherwise be taken.

I don't see how his performance yesterday sky rocketed Adams into a middle round pick. He had a nice showing against TCU in their bowl game until he left with a concussion. Oregon was up 31-0 at the time of the injury and went on to lose the game. You would think anyone being fair would have used that game as evidence of NFL talent. Now he performs in a "game" that has rules which limit defenses and suddenly he is a prospect?

Adams can play the position and has thrown into windows which would suggest he could have some level of success in the NFL. The other side of the coin says he is diminutive and he has not shown the instincts to avoid big hits. That in itself has to worry any NFL GM. 6th-7th rounder IMO but I wouldn't be surprised to see a team reach in say the 5th or so.

Yup.

How many under 6 foot QBs from top 25 programs have been drafted? Doesn't make sense to lump them in with all QB's and then say there aren't enough.

Not sure I would take him at all. But it has nothing to do with his height.

Buddy took a known shaky WR instead of Wilson because he was stupid. It was a predictably colossal error.

Every QB benefits from a great defense and strong running game, so it's hardly worth mentioning as though Wilson in particular benefits more than most. Wilson is that team's second leading rusher.

Actually, that's not how you began this particular discussion. You mentioned his height only, said "not thanks". That WAS your point until you were challenged on it.

No one would ever confuse this kid with Wilson coming out of college. Their careers and performance are not similar.

So he's not worth drafting for you and height doesn't play into it, but for me it's the icing on the cake. IOW, you're just arguing to argue. Got it.

And people should be clear Adams isn't anywhere near as polished a passer as Russell Wilson was coming out. I would be surprised if Adams goes before the 5th. If I am Whaley and he is still there with my 6th round pick (currently we have no 7th rounder) I might pick him.

Adams stats at both Eastern Washington and Oregon were very good to outstanding. I'm predicting that a team will select him no later than round 3. Hopefully the Bills take a shot at him. I know there are many TT fans in board, but Adams accuracy, mobility, escapability and arm strength seems comparable if not better.

Adams stats at both Eastern Washington and Oregon were very good to outstanding. I'm predicting that a team will select him no later than round 3. Hopefully the Bills take a shot at him. I know there are many TT fans in board, but Adams accuracy, mobility, escapability and arm strength seems comparable if not better.

So you think he's as good a prospect as RW?

No, that would be almost as big of a mistake as EJ in the first. Adams may go earlier than anticipated but that would be the 5th not the 2nd. We have our QB of the foreseeable future. If we take a project like Adams it certainly isn't with the intention of playing him for a few years at least. Edited by Kirby Jackson

After his performance yesterday, I am starting to wonder if Vernon Adams might deserve more serious consideration. I saw all of his games this year and he was unquestionably effective. I have wondered about his arm strength but he throws a very nice long ball. Reminds me a lot of TT, but without TT's straight line speed. Body might not hold up to NFL punishment. I would think he might merit a 5th round pick.

BTW, I am surprised to hear that Adams is only 5'11". He appeared quite a bit taller to me. Are we sure that is right?

Another thing to consider about Adams is that he improved steadily over the course of the season. He only enrolled at Oregon about two weeks before the opener so he had a very steep learning curve.

Edited by mannc

After his performance yesterday, I am starting to wonder if Vernon Adams might deserve more serious consideration. I saw all of his games this year and he was unquestionably effective. I have wondered about his arm strength but he throws a very nice long ball. Reminds me a lot of TT, but without TT's straight line speed. Body might not hold up to NFL punishment. I would think he might merit a 5th round pick.

BTW, I am surprised to hear that Adams is only 5'11". He appeared quite a bit taller to me. Are we sure that is right?

Another thing to consider about Adams is that he improved steadily over the course of the season. He only enrolled at Oregon about two weeks before the opener so he had a very steep learning curve.

Check his stats at Oregon and Eastern Washington. His TD to INT was ridiculous. Had a 60% or better completion pct and his win/loss record was outstanding. Can't wait to see combine and his pro day. I wonder how much more attention he would garner if he was 6'2" or better? Edited by the skycap

So we have 2 out of thousands of QB's who came out a decade apart. Not exactly a great percentage. Never mind that Wilson has had the best defense in the NFL and a strong running game the past 4 years. The Bills would have made the playoffs with the Seahawks' defense over that time span.

But more specifically to Adams, when a guy says "I didn't think he was an NFL QB until this week," when there is no blitzing, and when he struggled with accuracy during the week, coupled with his height, I don't see a guy who warrants higher than a late round pick. I certainly wouldn't use a 3rd on him, much less a 2nd.

:thumbsup: