Anyone familiar with Rome, Italy?

Doc

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're doing a cruise out of Civitavecchia and will be staying in Rome for a few days afterwards and need some advice.

I'm going in February to watch a champions league game and I've been there 4 times as I have a cousin who lives in the center.

I could tell you that if you decide to visit the tourist destinations, you should definitely see the Sistine Chapel as it was my favorite place. The subway is very efficient to get around.

Also if you go eat, I'd avoid tourist spots. I could ask my cousin for good restaurants that locals go to as the tourist spots are not that good. The Jewish ghetto is very nice there.

Go to the Forum, and get in a guided tour. Some of the docents are really very good.

Watch it when you go to the Trevi Fountain... it's pick-pocket central and the buskers will try to distract you by shoving scarves in your face trying to make you buy one for your lady - while an accomplice will bump into you and relieve you of your wallet and Euros.

Tour the Pantheon. It's an amazing edifice. Raphael is buried there.

Go to the church of St. Pietro in Vincoli. The chains that bound the Saint are on display, as is Michelangelo's iconic statue "Moses".

Take a day and go to The Vatican. You don't have to be Catholic to be impressed with its grandeur.

Most of the marble you see there in the colonnade and St. Peter's was ripped off (literally) from the Colosseum. :o

Enjoy your time there. The place is a little sooty all over - from years of auto and factory emissions, but there's a real beauty to the place.

You will likely never have a bad meal in Rome. The food is remarkable.

Go to the Forum, and get in a guided tour. Some of the docents are really very good.

Watch it when you go to the Trevi Fountain... it's pick-pocket central and the buskers will try to distract you by shoving scarves in your face trying to make you buy one for your lady - while an accomplice will bump into you and relieve you of your wallet and Euros.

Tour the Pantheon. It's an amazing edifice. Raphael is buried there.

Go to the church of St. Pietro in Vincoli. The chains that bound the Saint are on display, as is Michelangelo's iconic statue "Moses".

Take a day and go to The Vatican. You don't have to be Catholic to be impressed with its grandeur.

Most of the marble you see there in the colonnade and St. Peter's was ripped off (literally) from the Colosseum. :o

Enjoy your time there. The place is a little sooty all over - from years of auto and factory emissions, but there's a real beauty to the place.

You will likely never have a bad meal in Rome. The food is remarkable.

I've never been to the Pantheon. Maybe i'll go this time.

The food is obviously better than most places but when you find a spot that is made for locals, it is much better.

I've never been to the Pantheon. Maybe i'll go this time.

The food is obviously better than most places but when you find a spot that is made for locals, it is much better.

Yes, do that. It was erected as a pagan temple then converted to a Christian church - much like many were - if they weren't destroyed by the intolerant Christians. 0:)

We stayed at the Forum hotel overlooking Trajan's column which commemorates his two triumphs over Dracena (modern Romania - for the most part).

The Altar of the Fatherland is the immense classical structure in the background. Rome is steeped in so much history, it's impressive by any standard.

We stayed at the Inn at the Roman Forum http://www.theinnattheromanforum.com/en/gallery-hotel.htmlwhich was elegant and seemed to be a bargain.

The concierge made reservations for us at local restaurants and, you're right - those are the places to eat at. We never had a bad mean in Rome. I'd love to go again. img1_2048.jpg

Yes, do that. It was erected as a pagan temple then converted to a Christian church - much like many were - if they weren't destroyed by the intolerant Christians. 0:)

We stayed at the Forum hotel overlooking Trajan's column which commemorates his two triumphs over Dracena (modern Romania - for the most part).

The Altar of the Fatherland is the immense classical structure in the background. Rome is steeped in so much history, it's impressive by any standard.

We stayed at the Inn at the Roman Forum http://www.theinnattheromanforum.com/en/gallery-hotel.htmlwhich was elegant and seemed to be a bargain.

The concierge made reservations for us at local restaurants and, you're right - those are the places to eat at. We never had a bad mean in Rome. I'd love to go again. img1_2048.jpg

As much as the history and architecture is beautiful, this is what brings me there.

Brings a tear to my eye.

If you're interested in the Vatican, try booking at the Cardinal Cecci.

It's a converted Cardinal's residence, the rooms are average, great breakfast buffet, the location is what makes it special. Many restaurants to walk to within a few blocks. If you don't mind walking, you can walk to Narvona, Spanish steps, Pantheon, Trevi, etc. If walking's not your thing, there are many city tour buses across from the hotel.

You can't hail a cab in Rome. You have to find one at a designated cab stand. That's difficult if you don't know where you are, or where they are. Don't try the subway. It's not real safe. Watch your wallet, the pickpockets are everywhere..

• Rome in July? Visit the Vatican, because it'll feel like hell with no AC, and they may have some tips.

Find some local pizza. You have to try the food of the gods at the source.

Carry a decoy wallet. It will be fun to see if you get jacked. Good story to tell if you do.

Ask for meat balls with your pasta. Just do it.

Bring a sketch book and sit on the steps of a temple. It doesn't matter what you draw. Pretend you're an architect. It's better than Axe body spray.

Visit the tomb of Maximus Decimus Meridius.

I went there last year. My wife planned our trip which was 5 days in Rome, 4 in Florence, and 4 in Lake Como. Lake Como was my personal favorite. Anyway, great city. The one piece of advice I'd give, which is counter to someone above, is avoid guided tours. Everyone on them looked suicidal while my wife and I chose where we wanted to go and for how long we wanted to stay.

I'd recommend Rick Steves book on Rome. (He has books on every major city, just google his name and Rome.) anyway, if you want any specific non-touristy restaurants I can help you. PM me.

I went there last year. My wife planned our trip which was 5 days in Rome, 4 in Florence, and 4 in Lake Como. Lake Como was my personal favorite. Anyway, great city. The one piece of advice I'd give, which is counter to someone above, is avoid guided tours. Everyone on them looked suicidal while my wife and I chose where we wanted to go and for how long we wanted to stay.

I'd recommend Rick Steves book on Rome. (He has books on every major city, just google his name and Rome.) anyway, if you want any specific non-touristy restaurants I can help you. PM me.

There is good and bad in booking tours; the obvious one being that they get preferred entry.

If you want to see all the tourist sites in one day, book one. If you would rather risk waiting in line (and have the time to devote to seeing only one site per day), then don't.

Just depends on whether you're feeling lucky.

Weird.

Regardless, what kind of advice are you looking for? We spent a few days there in April, and my wife did a great job getting us great stuff scheduled in advance, but I'm not sure what you're most interested in hearing about.

What is weird? And I'm looking for any advice and people have obliged. Thanks all.