The "How about THIS QB" thread? (Trade or FA acquisition)

Should we acquire this or that splashy QB?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills make a play for any of these QB?

• Robert Griffin III
    • Colin Kaepernick
    • Johnny (JFF) Manziel
    • Tim Tebow
    • None of the above, draft a guy and/or sign a low-cost 2nd tier FA
    • None of the above, trade for a different guy
  2. 2. If you want one of the QB named above, how should we get him?

• Trade
    • Wait to see if he's released
    • I don't want any of the QB named above if they come with a pony and a free trip to Belize
    • I want to trade for a different guy
  3. 3. If you want one of the QB named above, define his role

• Starter, he's shown more than Taylor
    • Backup, if he gets a shot let him show more
    • Backup, let him compete with EJ and any draftee for a job
    • I don't want any of the QB named above

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have voted for Kap, but there should have been an option to let him compete with TT. There should always be a battle to be the best. If he plays better than TT, then he starts. May the best QB win. Of course TT starts if Kap does not play more than marginally better than him. Kap has similar skill sets with TT and a history with Roman and his offensive system. Of course with Chip taking over in SF, Kap may be safe this year and not available.

Kap is the best QB of those and could still be a serviceable NFL starter - we will now likely get a chance to see - but he is only going to be a starter if they let him run. As a pocket passer he doesn't have a prayer because he can't read defences. He is pretty accurate - the ball generally goes where he wants it to go - albeit some of his short passes have a bit too much zip at times. The problem is knowing where he should be throwing. In a spread option where he runs first and his pass option is a one man read or checkdown I could see him still being serviceable.

I would not have taken his salary on board though even if Chip didn't want him - it would have to have been on release and as a FA he would surely have chosen somewhere we he thought he had a better chance to start regardless of the Roman factor. So the best QB in the list but not a realistic option for Buffalo.

RGIII at a vet minimum or close to it I would be ok with but he would have to check his ego at the door and be TT's backup.

Manziel - is a borderline NFL talent with a pre-school mentality. No way.

Tebow - is a lovely guy but can't play QB in the NFL.

I think the browns will draft someone and start completely fresh. With that said - if McCown is available I'd kick the tires on him as a backup. Manziel and RG3 both are headed to Texas (Houston or Dallas, or in Money Manziels case... possibly just, somewhere in texas where he can party), so i doubt they even sniff us. Never was a big Kaepernick fan, but if he's available he'll probably come cheap and know the offense some.

Other backups I'd look at - TJ Yates, Colt mccoy, Blaine Gabbert.

Can't wait to see the reactions on this board when the team does the right thing and doesn't draft or sign ANY QB.

I'm hoping they break with tradition and take one in the draft. But I agree, coming to the realization that EJ will be the backup in 2016 will be a painful process for some people.

Kap is the best QB of those and could still be a serviceable NFL starter - we will now likely get a chance to see - but he is only going to be a starter if they let him run. As a pocket passer he doesn't have a prayer because he can't read defences. He is pretty accurate - the ball generally goes where he wants it to go - albeit some of his short passes have a bit too much zip at times. The problem is knowing where he should be throwing. In a spread option where he runs first and his pass option is a one man read or checkdown I could see him still being serviceable.

I would not have taken his salary on board though even if Chip didn't want him - it would have to have been on release and as a FA he would surely have chosen somewhere we he thought he had a better chance to start regardless of the Roman factor. So the best QB in the list but not a realistic option for Buffalo.

RGIII at a vet minimum or close to it I would be ok with but he would have to check his ego at the door and be TT's backup.

Manziel - is a borderline NFL talent with a pre-school mentality. No way.

Tebow - is a lovely guy but can't play QB in the NFL.

I generally agree with your assessment, except that RGIII is not gonna check his ego and I'm not sure if his running ability is still there. Some QB needy team will take a shot on both being true, where he has a higher chance to start. Your description of Kaep IMO mirrors my concern about Taylor - that he can't progress through his reads or be successful from the pocket, that he has to be a read-option runner.

I hope that's wrong. IMHO he has earned the chance to start next season and prove the Jets game was no fluke.

I'm personally not OK with any of the above. I feel we've seen them, and we should be looking for the best quarterback we feel we can reasonably get in this draft - even if it's a late round low-risk gamble - to try to develop. You never make the shot you don't take. And we should keep shooting.

Can't wait to see the reactions on this board when the team does the right thing and doesn't draft or sign ANY QB.

I'd be interested in your explanation as to why it's the right thing.

I don't necessarily agree. I think the most successful teams with an established QB in place still seem to draft a QB every 3 years or so to develop. I'm not nearly (HA! understatement) as "down" on EJ as a backup as many here, perhaps because I have more football perspective on what a really bad game looks like, perhaps because I have a more balanced picture of the Jax game and how playing against his former QB/OC and HC might factor into the meltdown (they would know how to exploit him, just as McKelvin and the Bills exploited Fitz). But even then, I think the right course of action for a team is keep bringing in developmental QB, let them compete with your current backup through OTA and TC when you need more arms anyway, let the best man win and either trade or cut the others.

Because even if you have a QB, you're only one injury away from needing a QB and Taylor more likely than others.

I generally agree with your assessment, except that RGIII is not gonna check his ego and I'm not sure if his running ability is still there. Some QB needy team will take a shot on both being true, where he has a higher chance to start. Your description of Kaep IMO mirrors my concern about Taylor - that he can't progress through his reads or be successful from the pocket, that he has to be a read-option runner.

I hope that's wrong. IMHO he has earned the chance to start next season and prove the Jets game was no fluke.

I'm personally not OK with any of the above. I feel we've seen them, and we should be looking for the best quarterback we feel we can reasonably get in this draft - even if it's a late round low-risk gamble - to try to develop. You never make the shot you don't take. And we should keep shooting.

I'd be interested in your explanation as to why it's the right thing.

I don't necessarily agree. I think the most successful teams with an established QB in place still seem to draft a QB every 3 years or so to develop. I'm not nearly (HA! understatement) as "down" on EJ as a backup as many here, perhaps because I have more football perspective on what a really bad game looks like, perhaps because I have a more balanced picture of the Jax game and how playing against his former QB/OC and HC might factor into the meltdown (they would know how to exploit him, just as McKelvin and the Bills exploited Fitz). But even then, I think the right course of action for a team is keep bringing in developmental QB, let them compete with your current backup through OTA and TC when you need more arms anyway, let the best man win and either trade or cut the others.

Because even if you have a QB, you're only one injury away from needing a QB and Taylor more likely than others.

Good points all around. The point of one snap from a injury is the right one. Ok. You changed my mind. Draft one. But Don't reach!!!!! We need LB, both lines first.

I just don't want to see EJ in a Bills uniform, sorry but it's just not working out.

Are you serious? Did you miss his hard count for an offsides?

I generally agree with your assessment, except that RGIII is not gonna check his ego and I'm not sure if his running ability is still there.

No, you are probably right.... but I did say I'd be "ok" with him. I wouldn't love it. I like you am not hating the idea of EJ still being the back up next year but I only want him to end up as the backup if he earns that job. I think they should let TT take basically every first team rep through most of camp and then the ideal rotation behind that with the 2s and 3s for me is EJ / a reclamation project vet / a drafted guy. Let TT play the first drive of games 1 and 2 and the first half of game 3 like most starters around the league do. Then let the other 3 fight it out for the #2 spot.

Could we maybe have one pinned thread where we extoll and debate and disparage all these QB options?

I personally hate all the one-threading that is going on with this board.

If I want to read about a certain player, I dont want to read through 100 pages of crap, with info scattered all over about every QB in the world. I WANT multiple, short threads!!!!!!! Concise! to the point!

On the topic of long useless threads, Sometimes i get a message from the Bills App or hear about some scandel, go straight to the forum, and there is a thread that is 17 pages long about the topic already. Maybe 1/2 a page has useful info that is worth read, but in order to find it you have t click through 16.5 pages of BS. Who wants to read through 16.5 pages of garbage just to find out info on the situation? It stinks.!!!!!!!

I have left this site many times this season just being fed up with mega-long threads.

MORE THREADS MORE THREADS MORE THREADS!!!!!!

I personally hate all the one-threading that is going on with this board.

If I want to read about a certain player, I dont want to read through 100 pages of crap, with info scattered all over about every QB in the world. I WANT multiple, short threads!!!!!!! Concise! to the point!

On the topic of long useless threads, Sometimes i get a message from the Bills App or hear about some scandel, go straight to the forum, and there is a thread that is 17 pages long about the topic already. Maybe 1/2 a page has useful info that is worth read, but in order to find it you have t click through 16.5 pages of BS. Who wants to read through 16.5 pages of garbage just to find out info on the situation? It stinks.!!!!!!!

I have left this site many times this season just being fed up with mega-long threads.

MORE THREADS MORE THREADS MORE THREADS!!!!!!

I can't agree with you more about these mega threads! 95% of my time on here is through my phone. I cannot jump to the end of a thread, I have to next my way to the end if I haven't kept up with the topic. End result is me no longer bothering with the thread. God forbid you're off the forum for a few days and want to get the latest on a certain player or topic and you find out you have to read through a 10 to 20 page thread that was started 2 months earlier!