Tyrod Taylor: PFF Breakout Player of the Year

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor vs. other Bills 1st yr. starting QBs

With Tyrod Taylor’s first season as a starting QB with Buffalo now in the books we decided to take a look at how Taylor’s passing numbers stacked up with other Bills signal callers in their first year as starters for Buffalo.

With a tip of the hat to our media relations department, here’s a look at how Taylor ranks in the passing game.

The criteria was in their first season as starter they had to start in at least 10 games.

Taylor was one of only four quarterbacks to post a winning record (8-6). He leads all first-year Bills starters in yards per attempt (7.99), had the fewest interceptions (6) and the highest quarterback rating (99.4).

This post kind of sums up the optimism. The only guys comparable to him on that list in terms of performance had years of starting experience. There is reason to believe that he will improve but he is already on par with roughly half of the starters in the league. We should be excited about the future with him. Even if he is at his ceiling (which there is no reason to believe) he is still as good as any QB that the Bills have had since Kelly.

This pretty much sums up my feelings. He isn't perfect but much, much better than what we have had in forever.

All that I was asking out of my qb prior to the season was competent play. TT started camp as the third ranked qp on the roster. It was publicly acknowledged that Cassel was the coaches preferred starter. He competed against all the qbs on the roster and decisively won the competition. He simply earned the starting job, it wasn't handed to him and it wasn't a default type situation. He clearly beat out the other qbs for the starting job.

What did he demonstrate as a player? He showed that he was mobile, was an accurate passer with good touch and he showed that he can throw a beautiful long ball. When was the last time that a Bills qb demonstrated such talents? A generation ago?

He certainly isn't a finished product. And no one can say for sure that they know how he much further he will develop as a qb. It is acknowledged that the OC took a cautious approach toward handling him by limiting his playbook. But that coaching approach wasn't due to his lack of talent so much as it was the beginning of his developmental process as a starter. In my opinion Roman was wise in the cautious manner he handled TT.

This season is going to be very telling as to knowing what caliber of qb TT will develop into. I'm more cautiously optimistic about his upside compared to the many other qb prospects this organization has churned through.

This post kind of sums up the optimism. The only guys comparable to him on that list in terms of performance had years of starting experience. There is reason to believe that he will improve but he is already on par with roughly half of the starters in the league. We should be excited about the future with him. Even if he is at his ceiling (which there is no reason to believe) he is still as good as any QB that the Bills have had since Kelly.

This is fair. I'm gonna wait though.

I put a noose around my neck for that 2nd pats game though and that redskins game. Woof!

Think him and Metz just say EJ as every other word and it's got old.

Sweet so he has your endorsement.

Must mean he's good like Fitz, Losman, Ej and every other qb you annoint.

Considering all the QBs you hate seem to have good seasons, I wouldn't call attention to your record.

All that I was asking out of my qb prior to the season was competent play. TT started camp as the third ranked qp on the roster. It was publicly acknowledged that Cassel was the coaches preferred starter. He competed against all the qbs on the roster and decisively won the competition. He simply earned the starting job, it wasn't handed to him and it wasn't a default type situation. He clearly beat out the other qbs for the starting job.

What did he demonstrate as a player? He showed that he was mobile, was an accurate passer with good touch and he showed that he can throw a beautiful long ball. When was the last time that a Bills qb demonstrated such talents? A generation ago?

He certainly isn't a finished product. And no one can say for sure that they know how he much further he will develop as a qb. It is acknowledged that the OC took a cautious approach toward handling him by limiting his playbook. But that coaching approach wasn't due to his lack of talent so much as it was the beginning of his developmental process as a starter. In my opinion Roman was wise in the cautious manner he handled TT.

This season is going to be very telling as to knowing what caliber of qb TT will develop into. I'm more cautiously optimistic about his upside compared to the many other qb prospects this organization has churned through.

It will help if they continue to add pieces around him......

- Receivers that can catch a ball deep.....where TT seems to show unreal accuracy

- A RT that doesnt get beat off the snap in pass protection.....if we want TT to make throws from the pocket....he cant be running for his life off the snap

And of course a defense that keeps giving him opportunities

Yep you got me. He's amazing! Metz save me your tired Ej crap. Bf4e is gone, when do you follow ?

I'm sure Taylor was a guaranteed win vs jags and bengals w his patented 200 yard 17 point output.

Of course Taylor was a guaranteed win against Jacksonville. Do you disagree with that? Jacksonville scored 34 points- we'll say 17 were gift-wrapped by you-know-who. So yes, I'm quite confident that Taylor could've scored 17 points in that game as we all know, he didn't turn the ball over this season. You are the first person I've ever encountered who has brought into question whether or not a healthy Taylor doesn't win the Jacksonville game. Jacksonville didn't even play well that day by their own standards.

And as far as their offensive output, the Bills finished 12th in the league in scoring, averaging 24 points a game. But don't let that get in the way of a good story.

And ya know what, EJ is totally relevant to this conversation. Very easy for you to tell me to stop bringing him up. But the fact of the matter is that you were a devoted, undying supporter of his even when it became kind of a fanatical viewpoint to have. Do you really expect the rest of us to believe that if EJ Manuel had the season that Taylor just had statistically, went 8-6, was named a Pro Bowl alternate, was named PFF's breakout player of the year and a bunch of Bills fans were on here saying, "hey EJ Manuel had a pretty good season," that you, Ryan L Billz, would be saying, "yeah you guys win, he's amazing. Wake me up when he does this or that?" Or do you think it's more likely that you would be saying, "see I told you so..."

And also, yeah what did happen to Bills Fan 4 Life?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

It will help if they continue to add pieces around him......

- Receivers that can catch a ball deep.....where TT seems to show unreal accuracy

- A RT that doesnt get beat off the snap in pass protection.....if we want TT to make throws from the pocket....he cant be running for his life off the snap

And of course a defense that keeps giving him opportunities

Absolutely, I agree with your comments. A good example of what you are suggesting happened in Washington with the Redskins. Cousins's play improved as as his unit was upgraded. In my mind Cousins is not an elite, or will ever be an elite qb, but by putting the qb in a good situation to succeed where he doesn't have to primarily carry the offense he is more likely to succeed. The same line of thinking applies to TT. It is less than likely that he will be a top tier qb but I do believe under the right circumstances he can be a very good starting qb in this league, maybe a top one third range,

I prefer not discussing the defense because it brings up the Rex factor. It makes me go crazy. So by choice I will lay off of the issue for the sake of my own sanity. :wallbash:

Edited by JohnC

Of course Taylor was a guaranteed win against Jacksonville. Do you disagree with that? Jacksonville scored 34 points- we'll say 17 were gift-wrapped by you-know-who. So yes, I'm quite confident that Taylor could've scored 17 points in that game as we all know, he didn't turn the ball over this season. You are the first person I've ever encountered who has brought into question whether or not a healthy Taylor doesn't win the Jacksonville game. Jacksonville didn't even play well that day by their own standards.

And as far as their offensive output, the Bills finished 12th in the league in scoring, averaging 24 points a game. But don't let that get in the way of a good story.

And ya know what, EJ is totally relevant to this conversation. Very easy for you to tell me to stop bringing him up. But the fact of the matter is that you were a devoted, undying supporter of his even when it became kind of a fanatical viewpoint to have. Do you really expect the rest of us to believe that if EJ Manuel had the season that Taylor just had statistically, went 8-6, was named a Pro Bowl alternate, was named PFF's breakout player of the year and a bunch of Bills fans were on here saying, "hey EJ Manuel had a pretty good season," that you, Ryan L Billz, would be saying, "yeah you guys win, he's amazing. Wake me up when he does this or that?" Or do you think it's more likely that you would be saying, "see I told you so..."

And also, yeah what did happen to Bills Fan 4 Life?

Nonsense with me being an Ej lover. I simply enjoyed mocking the over the top takes some of you had regarding him.

I let Tyrod win me over vs the jets. I'm on board but I'm at 60%. Very concerned w 2nd pats game, not throwing to Watkins 2nd half vs Chiefs, and a few quiet halves.

Add a RT and a wideout and we will know next year.

Nonsense with me being an Ej lover. I simply enjoyed mocking the over the top takes some of you had regarding him.

I let Tyrod win me over vs the jets. I'm on board but I'm at 60%. Very concerned w 2nd pats game, not throwing to Watkins 2nd half vs Chiefs, and a few quiet halves.

Add a RT and a wideout and we will know next year.

60 percent?

What would it actually take to get a clean 90 percent winover?

cuz this is the best QB we have had since Drew Bledsoe

I'm not sure if these comparisons are valid. We've never really had a true read option QB and the trajectory of a read option QB is usually to have a great first season, better than a tradition pocket passer. Difference is, pocket passers usually have better subsequent years (except for ours, of course). The read option QB usually struggles in subsequent years, when opposing teams learn how to neutralize their running, exploit their passing weaknesses, and injuries (obviously). The great ones, Newton and Wilson, learn to overcome this.