Ugh - David Bowie has died

bbb

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't remember a cancellation or the Tubes, don't think anyone opened (or if they did, I missed it). I do remember the Aud was a sauna that night, but you couldn't tell by looking at him. That setlist is ridiculous, great tour. Maybe Buffalo was one of the lesser shows, I don't know, but I loved it.

Was at school for the first two weeks of classes and tried to get friends to head to Syracuse for the Carrier Dome show. Alas in '83, no other takers to see the "faggot." Imbeciles.

not sure why they dropped off the Buffalo show, but I knew I wasn't crazy.

• 1983: Opened several dates for David Bowie on the Serious Moonlight tour and on this tour, among other highlights, they were the first artists to ever play the newly opened Tacoma Dome in Tacoma, Washington. At the end of the Bowie tour, they played a few shows featuring their classic no-holds-barred theatrics in Portland, Oregon, and other west-coast cities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tubes

Don't remember a cancellation or the Tubes, don't think anyone opened (or if they did, I missed it). I do remember the Aud was a sauna that night, but you couldn't tell by looking at him. That setlist is ridiculous, great tour. Maybe Buffalo was one of the lesser shows, I don't know, but I loved it.

I am listening to the west coast feed and an hour + into the show and no mention of it yet.

Should be an interesting Howard Stern show today -- he was a huge Bowie fan.

RIP

not sure why they dropped off the Buffalo show, but I knew I wasn't crazy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tubes

I am listening to the west coast feed and an hour + into the show and no mention of it yet.

Wow. I would've loved to see the Tubes open, though they pretty much jumped the shark for me that year, She's A Beauty and Talk To You Later wtf.

ETA: At least I think those 2 songs were in 83.

Edited by Rico

now it is becoming a bit more clear...my sister just texted me asking if i remember why I gave her my bowie tickets for that tour when he played the Dome. That syracuse show was scheduled for July 23rd and was postponed until the next show after buffalo, and THAT original Syracuse show may have had the Tubes scheduled as the opening act. When they rescheduled the Syracuse show there was no opening act, and being that i was in Fredonia, i opted to go to the Buffalo show instead of going home for the Dome show,

Wow. I would've loved to see the Tubes open, though they pretty much jumped the shark for me that year, She's A Beauty and Talk To You Later wtf.

I know a dude who was a big time sound guy in the 70's and 80's. He set up everyone (Dead, Frampton, Aerosmith, etc). He told me the Tubes were the best live act he had ever seen. Lots of energy, costume changes, great sets. I always found that answer in interesting because I found Talk to you Later boring

As Rico said, the Completion Backwards Principle was the Tubes jumping the shark. Listen to their What Do You Want From Live album. They were monsters!

I know a dude who was a big time sound guy in the 70's and 80's. He set up everyone (Dead, Frampton, Aerosmith, etc). He told me the Tubes were the best live act he had ever seen. Lots of energy, costume changes, great sets. I always found that answer in interesting because I found Talk to you Later boring

As Rico said, the Completion Backwards Principle was the Tubes jumping the shark. Listen to their What Do You Want From Live album. They were monsters!

i was just going to reference What Do You Want From Live, one of my all-time fav live Lps and my go-to choice for the Tubes. Sound and performance are incredible!

RIP David.

Regarding The Tubes. Our band used to go on stage to Mondo Bondage back in the mid-70's. Cranked up it's such a good song to get the rock juices rolling. I didn't get the lyrics though.......I was 14. :lol:

I saw The Tubes in 78 or 79. Wasn't expecting much - and it turned out to be the best concert I saw up till that time. It was amazing.

Saw them again at Darien Lake in 82 or 83, and they were still great.

I would say, perhaps other than Dylan in the 60's, no other artist in modern rock history (Beatles on) had as strong a slate of releases as Bowie had from 1970 to 1980. It started with "The Man Who Sold the World" through "Scary Monsters". Thirteen albums (remember when artists put out an album or two a year?), not a dud among them. His output during that decade kept up an incredible level of quality, and he never made the same album twice...

I know, things were spotty after that, but his last few releases were really strong...the new one, as cliché as it sounds, is the best thing he has done since 1980, IMO. And I said that to somebody on Saturday...

BTW- the new album, "Blackstar" was released on Friday, January 8th. Bowie's 69th birthday...a day he shared with Elvis!

One of the true greats!

His last video..."Lazarus". Pretty cryptic, in light of all this:

http://youtu.be/y-JqH1M4Ya8

Edited by Buftex

I would say, perhaps other than Dylan in the 60's, no other artist in modern rock history (Beatles on) had as strong a slate of releases as Bowie had from 1970 to 1980. It started with "The Man Who Sold the World" through "Scary Monsters". Thirteen albums (remember when artists put out an album or two a year?), not a dud among them. His output during that decade kept up an incredible level of quality, and he never made the same album twice...

I know, things were spotty after that, but his last few releases were really strong...the new one, as cliché as it sounds, is the best thing he has done since 1980, IMO. And I said that to somebody on Saturday...

BTW- the new album, "Blackstar" was released on Friday, January 8th. Bowie's 69th birthday...a day he shared with Elvis!

One of the true greats!

His last video..."Lazarus". Pretty cryptic, in light of all this:

http://youtu.be/y-JqH1M4Ya8

Well said. The only one who came close to me re: the 70's run was Roxy, don't think they ever made a bad album (though not at Bowie's level) I know many disparage it, but I would also include Let's Dance, for the hits and the tour.

Cranking Station To Station (my fav) right now...

Well said. The only one who came close to me re: the 70's run was Roxy, don't think they ever made a bad album (though not at Bowie's level) I know many disparage it, but I would also include Let's Dance, for the hits and the tour.

Cranking Station To Station (my fav) right now...

While I am partial to Low, Station to Station is right up there for me as well...I can't pick just one...they are all great! Was listening to Diamond Dogs on the way to work... that was my favorite as a teenager...loved Hunky Dory, Lodger...damn...so much great stuff.

After reading the endless tributes on Facebook (they should call it Wakebook) yesterday, it made me realize, as much as I loved that 70's stuff, I kind of lost track of his later stuff for a while. Gotta go back and catch up on the later stuff. The last two have been fantastic.

While I am partial to Low, Station to Station is right up there for me as well...I can't pick just one...they are all great! Was listening to Diamond Dogs on the way to work... that was my favorite as a teenager...loved Hunky Dory, Lodger...damn...so much great stuff.

After reading the endless tributes on Facebook (they should call it Wakebook) yesterday, it made me realize, as much as I loved that 70's stuff, I kind of lost track of his later stuff for a while. Gotta go back and catch up on the later stuff. The last two have been fantastic.

Hate to say it, but he started losing me with Tonight and then for good with Never Let Me Down (last one I bought day 1) and Tin Machine. I've got all the later ones, but have only given them a handful of listens, I also need to catch back up.