Rob Ryan joining Bills staff

FluffHead

Look, it's Rex's staff. He decides and will live with the consequences. If he doesn't turn the defense around next season it's very likely that he will be gone. So if he didn't think it would help I doubt he would be doing it, even if it is his brother.

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy with the move.

Rex is a good coach and he is going to get this team where it needs to be.

Rob can help teach the scheme

Rob was a member of two NE* Super Bowl winning staffs under Belichick so he must have some value.

Edited by TheFunPolice

how do I know he isn't the DC? Because that's not his title and we already have one.

Color me skeptical but this has a sense of inevitability around it. First there was speculation that Rex would hire him, Unfortunately it came true. Now he is being assigned duties which seem rather innocuous. But I just get the feeling that half way into next season, if the D continues to underperform, Thurman will be shown the door and Rob promoted. There is no way Rex did not lobby hard for this and it just stinks to high heaven. A created position for a guy who has proven to be bad at his previous coaching stints ? What credentials does he bring anyway.

Yolo, I know you have been supportive of the FO's motives, but can you describe why this hire is agood thing ? Or even why this position was required ? And why RobR was considered the best fit ?

Look, it's Rex's staff. He decides and will live with the consequences. If he doesn't turn the defense around next season it's very likely that he will be gone. So if he didn't think it would help I doubt he would be doing it, even if it is his brother.

he won two SBs as a LB coach with the Pats. He's not running the defense. He's an assistant coach. It's not the end of the world but that won't stop folks from acting like it. It's an annual tradition!

Color me skeptical but this has a sense of inevitability around it. First there was speculation that Rex would hire him, Unfortunately it came true. Now he is being assigned duties which seem rather innocuous. But I just get the feeling that half way into next season, if the D continues to underperform, Thurman will be shown the door and Rob promoted. There is no way Rex did not lobby hard for this and it just stinks to high heaven. A created position for a guy who has proven to be bad at his previous coaching stints ? What credentials does he bring anyway.

Yolo, I know you have been supportive of the FO's motives, but can you describe why this hire is agood thing ? Or even why this position was required ? And why RobR was considered the best fit ?

i don't know if he will be made the DC at any point and neither does anyone else. He's an assistant coach. He has been a very successful position coach and knows Rex's scheme to help implement it. Not sure if there is anything to really be up in arms about at this point in time?

I've blasted Rex for quite a while, but I'm changing my tune- Embrace the Circus! Bring on "Hard Knocks"; sign Tim Tebow; sign Ray Rice; sign Michael Sam; sign Greg Hardy. Spend the Pegulas' money- sign every big-name free agent you can lure in. Erect a statue of O.J. in front of the stadium. Place Roger Goodell's name on the Wall of Fame. Make it organizational policy that Tom Brady be publicly referred to as "the fag" from here on out. Even if this team is .500 or worse, if we're a sideshow, who the hell cares! We haven't been to the playoffs since Clinton was president. So let's embrace the Circus!

he isn't the DC, it doesn't matter. He's just helping Rex with player development and scheme implementation. Rex's schemes and game plans, not his.

Who said that?

That could be the reply to 90% of the posts in this thread.

how do I know he isn't the DC? Because that's not his title and we already have one.

@viccarucci

Apparently there's no change to the role of #Bills DC Dennis Thurman. Anthony Lynn remains assistant head coach/running backs.

Just seems pretty knee jerk to say what Rob's role will be on the defense. All we know definitively from the organization is that he is our new "Assistant HC/Defense". For all we know he is bringing over some his New Orleans hidden gem packages to implement. After all, Rex said his brother is a genius. Highly doubt the genius (and brother) takes a backseat and let's Rex run the show.