schadenfreude over Cincinnati meltdown

I have to admit feeling some guilty glee over the Steelers win last night. I lived in Cincinnati in the late 80's, was ridiculed and had things thrown at me for wearing Bills regalia, and have no love for their Hudepohl-chugging fans (Hudepohl is their local beer, which makes Genny taste like fine champagne). Obviously Cinci fans still have no class, as evidenced by them cheering when Ben R got hurt and throwing garbage at him as he was carted off the field.

I admit the refs blew the call on Pittsburgh for an earlier helmet on helmet hit. But the Burfict hit on Brown was a really dangerous blow to the head, well after the play ended, and totally uncalled for. Add another penalty for Bungle players losing their cool (plus the horrid turnover which led to the last drive), and it was game over.

To add to a prior post, I'd rather be a Bills vs a Bungles fan hands down. While some commentators like Merrill Hoge (he of the horrid suits and ties) are defending coach Marvin Lewis, saying the has no control over what happens between the white stripes on the field, I DO hold him responsible for his teams total lack of discipline and an NFL record 0-8 in their most recent playoff games.

You should also note the Bungles haven't won a playoff game since 1990 - far longer than the Bills. I'd rather see the Bills try hard and play right, then to TOTALLY BLOW a playoff game in such a pathetic and embarrassing manner. This loss will sting and Bungle fans will be kicking their dogs this morning and stewing on their bile for months to come.

I admit the refs blew the call on Pittsburgh for an earlier helmet on helmet hit. But the Burfict hit on Brown was a really dangerous blow to the head, well after the play ended, and totally uncalled for. Add another penalty for Bungle players losing their cool (plus the horrid turnover which led to the last drive), and it was game over.

If you are referring to the hit on Bernard that caused the fumble, there was no call missed. He made the catch, took a couple of steps, turned upfield, and had an opportunity to prepare for the hit. This means he has become a runner, and is no longer a defenseless receiver, meaning he is no longer afforded the same protection as a defenseless receiver.

Lewis (like Rex) is 100% responsible.

Burfict was out of control for most of the game. He needed to be benched.

Do that, and a) it sends a message to others on the team (e.g. Pacman) that if you unable to control yourself then you will not have the privilege of playing and b) it would have most likely prevented the fiasco at the end of the game, and would have preserved a Cincinnati win.

Bottom line: what you permit you promote

Are you listening Rex?

If you are referring to the hit on Bernard that caused the fumble, there was no call missed. He made the catch, took a couple of steps, turned upfield, and had an opportunity to prepare for the hit. This means he has become a runner, and is no longer a defenseless receiver, meaning he is no longer afforded the same protection as a defenseless receiver.

Regard

Do that, and a) it sends a message to others on the team (e.g. Pacman) that if you unable to control yourself then you will not have the privilege of playing and b) it would have most likely prevented the fiasco at the end of the game, and would have preserved a Cincinnati win.

Bottom line: what you permit you promote

Are you listening Rex?

Absolutely agree. Just like Coughlin should've benched Beckham against the Panthers for a bit, the same should've been done with Burfict.

I agree with commentators who said that you need your best playes on the field. However, Burfict WAS out of control and somehow the coaches were not able to rein him in all game long. All this despite what this message to the Bungle players which was totally ignored:

A quote from Cincinnati Bengals founder and former coach Paul Brown scrolled all this week on monitors in the Bengals' locker room. "The key to winning," it read, "is poise under stress.

Amazing how many football fans have no idea what spearing is. He clearly led with the crown of his helmet, that is spearing, that is a 15 yard penalty, that negates the turnover.

Regard

Absolutely agree. Just like Coughlin should've benched Beckham against the Panthers for a bit, the same should've been done with Burfict.

Um...did you see him completely dominate the game and almost win it for the Bengals after the hit on Bernard? He knocked Big Ben out of the game and he made a fantastic interception all after the hit on Gio that got him really worked up. The team would not have been in position to blow it if he didn't make those plays.

Amazing how many football fans have no idea what spearing is. He clearly led with the crown of his helmet, that is spearing, that is a 15 yard penalty, that negates the turnover.

Exactly!

It wasn't about Bernard being defenseless, which he wasn't. Shazier lead with his helmet down. That is a personal foul.

How did the officials miss that.

What's even more incredible is how Nantz & Simms completely ignored that.

Take another look. The hit was clearly helmet to helmet. There will be a fine this week for that hit and very possibly a suspension.

Some are questioning whether Shazier led with the crown of his helmet.

Take another look. The hit was clearly helmet to helmet. There will be a fine this week for that hit and very possibly a suspension.

Once the guy is a runner, helmet to helmet doesn't matter, but he still can't lead with the "crown of his helmet" That's written in the rule.

The refs didn't think so, I didn't think so, but some on this board do think so. I need to go back and check it out in slo mo

Um...did you see him completely dominate the game and almost win it for the Bengals after the hit on Bernard? He knocked Big Ben out of the game and he made a fantastic interception all after the hit on Gio that got him really worked up. The team would not have been in position to blow it if he didn't make those plays.

That is true. I think it illustrates the very fine line that a top player walks. He needs to be fired up enough to make great plays like the hit on Big Ben and the interception, but enough in control that he doesn't do dumb things like running off the field with the ball after the INT (could have been penalized) or the Brown hit.

So when a recover makes a catch, takes a couple steps, turns upfield and has time to prepare for a hit......that allows the defender to lower his head and smash him helmet to helmet? Blatant and obvious missed call.

The other missed call......Joey porter illegally running on the field and baiting Cincinnati players into another flag. How can a flag be thrown for unsportsmanlike conduct taken out on someone that's not allowed on the field? How is porter not flagged, but jones was flagged? The officiating was a joke. Yes, burficts hit was illegal and deserved a flag. But shazier most definitely deserved a flag and jones did not. Big turn around and another game decided by the refs.

Some are questioning whether Shazier led with the crown of his helmet.

Once the guy is a runner, helmet to helmet doesn't matter, but he still can't lead with the "crown of his helmet" That's written in the rule.

The refs didn't think so, I didn't think so, but some on this board do think so. I need to go back and check it out in slo mo

That is true. I think it illustrates the very fine line that a top player walks. He needs to be fired up enough to make great plays like the hit on Big Ben and the interception, but enough in control that he doesn't do dumb things like running off the field with the ball after the INT (could have been penalized) or the Brown hit.

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/zxha.mp4

Looks like top of the head glanced off the facemask and then into the shoulder. Close call. Could have gone either way.

Exactly!

It wasn't about Bernard being defenseless, which he wasn't. Shazier lead with his helmet down. That is a personal foul.

How did the officials miss that.

What's even more incredible is how Nantz & Simms completely ignored that.

nantz and Simms didn't even know wtf was going on all night and Mike Carey was worse.

Looks like top of the head glanced off the facemask and then into the shoulder. Close call. Could have gone either way.

Close call? Are you kidding? Those replays in your own link show it clear as day. Lowered his head way before the hit. The hit is 100% clear on the helmet. Wasn't even close.

Close call? Are you kidding? Those replays in your own link show it clear as day. Lowered his head way before the hit. The hit is 100% clear on the helmet. Wasn't even close.

From some angles it looks like his helmet slid off the facemask (glancing blow), but from other angles it looked like a straight on hit. I think from the ref's perspective, it may have been hard to decide. Based on the replay, I think you are right, it should have been a penalty.

Hughes got benched last year for half a game and has been worse since.

how can you honestly make that correlation ?

dude, that was not "glancing off the facemask"; did you not see Bernard's entire head snap sideways"? I do not comprehend how you can call that a glancing blow.

Totally classless to chuck garbage at an injured player coming off the field

Extra classless considering Big Ben is kinda one of their own (from Lima, OH and played at Miami of Ohio)

There's no doubt in my mind there would be a fair number of Bills' fans doing the exact same thing if the game were going the way last night's went and (let's say) Brady had gotten hurt and taken off the field.