Stephon Gilmore: "I Know I’m an Elite Corner."

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. You need two of them to win in the modern NFL. Lock up Gilmore and you don't need to spend another top pick on a CB (and hope he works out). If they let him walk you can be sure there will be another first round CB taken in 2017-18.

What? Since when?

People who don't think Gilmore is at the top 10 of his position have no idea what is going on in the NFL. But Gilmore gave up that catch that one time! Bust!

https://twitter.com/pff/status/672899009292460032?lang=en

This has Darby rated well above Gilmore already and according to them there are 16 ahead of him. Take it for what it's worth.

All well and good, but he injured himself this year by using horrible form on a tackle, where he tried to go for a big hit and ended up destroying his shoulder. And that's the thing about Gilmore - he's "elite" under today's standards, but he loses focus 4-7 plays per game. We're going to have to pay him, but he's an imperfect player.

and how many perfect players are there?

Agreed, but doesn't this make post 26 something to strongly consider? Count me as one who would take a first round pick for Gilmore in a second.

It really is telling that there are better ideas on this board than in the heads of Bills management.

We both remember Marv promising Clements he wouldn't be franchised and the Bills having no intentions to re-sign him. They subsequently got nothing for him and he walked in UFA despite Buffalo having unused cap space galore.

But now they don't have that space two work with and decisions on players are more difficult. I'd rather see Gilmore re-signed, but there are some undeniable circumstances now:

-he's not super durable and gets nicked up every season

-they've got Darby who was excellent this season and may be a #1 CB down the road

-Gilmore will want a deal in line with the best and Buffalo doesn't have great cap space given their go for broke 2015 plan. Can the money spent on a Gilmore contract be used better elsewhere?

Still a lot to happen before he hits UFA after the 2016 season. I would lean toward trading him for top picks and using those (that's a stretch with Whaley sometimes) efficiently.

Agreed.

What will likely happen is that he will walk, and the Bills will replace him with a first round defensive back. And it won't really matter if we are winning or losing because this is what the Bills do.

The certainty of the Bills drafting first round defensive backs is a large part of what makes your screen name just so fitting.

Come on, Bill. You're better than this. I know you can't stand the Bills taking a DB in the 1st Round but the fact of the matter is that it's just not true. Buddy Nix is long gone. In their last six drafts, the Bills have selected a DB just once in the 1st Round: 2010 (RB), 2011 (DT), 2012 (CB), 2013 (QB), 2014 (WR), & 2015 (no 1st Round pick). Darby was their first selection last year but not until the 2nd Round and nobody is complaining about that. So they've taken two DBs with their first selection in the last six years which netted them their starters and one of the better CB tandems in the league. Nothing to complain about. IMO, the play here is to try and re-sign Gilmore, if possible. If he walks, you are looking at another 1st Round DB (or lesser FA signing). Like it or not, it's a passing league and Rex's D is predicated on his DBs.

Gilmore is absolutely elite and, along with Hughes and Dareus, our best defensive player. Probably better than both of them considering CB is the toughest position and he's on an island.

His comments should be encouraging. The dude puts a lot of work in and was huge with bringing Darby along this year too. Gilmore is great.

I think one of the things that really hurts GIlmore is Darby came in as a 2nd round pick and actually OUTPLAYED him

Gilmore while a very good db isnt even the best db on his team anymore. Darby is.

Disagree. Also I think Gilmore had a lot to do with Darby's development, Darby said as much.

Gilmore is absolutely elite and, along with Hughes and Dareus, our best defensive player. Probably better than both of them considering CB is the toughest position and he's on an island.

His comments should be encouraging. The dude puts a lot of work in and was huge with bringing Darby along this year too. Gilmore is great.

Disagree. Also I think Gilmore had a lot to do with Darby's development, Darby said as much.

100%

I like Gilmore and he will get paid.

Nevertheless, it seems to me that Sully and Vic are going out of their way to stir the pot.

Sully re TT at the end of season PC (as he previously had done with Fitz) and now Vic with SG.

Given his propensity to get injured, I would let him play for his contract next year. The downside is that you're giving a guy $11+ million that will count against the cap. If he earns it, you pay him. If he doesn't earn it, you don't. So many fans fail to understand that there isn't one team in the NFL that can choose to be cheap now. The CBA REQUIRES teams to spend roughly 98.5% of the cap. Anything less than that and they pay it as a penalty. So what's the incentive for a team to actually pay less? Nothing. At the end of the day, I like Gilmore. I don't think he's as good as Darby, but he's good.

what does Gilmore mentoring Darby have to do with Darby not being the better player?

We need to look realistically.....not gonna be able to keep everyone

what does Gilmore mentoring Darby have to do with Darby not being the better player?

We need to look realistically.....not gonna be able to keep everyone

Yep. You don't need two elite CB's in the NFL, unless you have a terrible defensive line who can't get to the QB......oh......crap.

Yep. You don't need two elite CB's in the NFL, unless you have a terrible defensive line who can't get to the QB......oh......crap.

It has nothing to do with not needing two elite corners....we DO

These words from Gilmore sound a lot like he is gonna price himself out of our range

We are going to have to pay a QB now soon to

It has nothing to do with not needing two elite corners....we DO

These words from Gilmore sound a lot like he is gonna price himself out of our range

We are going to have to pay a QB now soon to

Well you could say we need elite at every position John. It's just unrealistic and not truly necessary to winning.