Cordy's Big Deal: How Much Will He Get?

http://www.spotrac.com/research/NFL/extension-projection-russell-okung-533/

This is a good read about where Glenn's contract could slot in.

Glenn is a top 15 LT, but I don't think he's in that elite category.

Trent Williams is a 4 time Pro Bowler, and was named a top 50 player in the NFL in 2015 and has been on the NFL's top 100 list for the last 3 years. He was also a top 5 draft pick so he also had that pedigree going for him in negotiations. And he just signed his deal last year. Glenn will not be getting Trent Williams money.

Castonzo is a good barometer in that they are similar players in pedigree, but i would think that would be around the ceiling for Glenn's contract, with less guaranteed money going to Glenn, but something that puts him in the top 10 of LT contracts. But they could also look at a deal like Nate Solder's and give him less money and less years but fully guarantee it. Also, just because Glenn's average annual salary will be around 10 million, that doesnt mean his cap number will be 10 in his first year. Solder's was around 5 million; Castonzo's was 6.8.

Also, because Glenn is so young, his deal will be designed to be renegotiated after a few years, probably keeping his initial cap numbers lower.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any of them would be great, but I wouldn't get too excited about adding any 1st tier UFAs as OBD has already indicated that they'll focus on keeping what they have in house, Glenn, Incognito, etc. At the season ending presser, Whaley told the assembled media to go on vacation in the initial high dollar frenzy of Free Agency.

Yep - I am not expecting any of them... although Upshaw might end up as one of those "dust settled" type pick ups Whaley talked about....

Edited by GunnerBill

We are very much in line on contract values for Glenn and Incognito.

I like Glenn but I don't know that the rest of the league views him as a $10M LT......having a huge run threat at QB helps tie up pass rushers.

I saw the Jets trying to contain Tyrod at the expense of rushing him a few times Sunday.........that makes the OL look a lot more effective.

And there is also the kidney issue as an aside.

Personally, I think he is $7M OT but I don't mind paying the premium of $8-$9M to keep him in Buffalo.

I saw somewhere on a link on TSW to one of the Bills fan/news sites that Incognito could get $8M per year?.............not on the open market he won't. :lol:

People aren't going to pay an OG in his 30's that kind of $.

Evan Mathis found that out last summer........he asked to be cut in hopes of making more money than his $5M and got a haircut instead.

I was thinking a $4-$5M deal over 3-4 seasons.......with likelihood being that he only plays 2-3 of those seasons.

Top O-line players like QB's are at a premium as so many teams are desperate for top OT's & OG's. I can see many, many teams offering more than what you are suggesting.

Incognito should have made the pro bowl and probably would have if not for his rep. He stayed out of the media spotlight and cleaned up his play significantly this year. Some team will make him a better offer and same with Glenn. JMO.

Top O-line players like QB's are at a premium as so many teams are desperate for top OT's & OG's. I can see many, many teams offering more than what you are suggesting.

Incognito should have made the pro bowl and probably would have if not for his rep. He stayed out of the media spotlight and cleaned up his play significantly this year. Some team will make him a better offer and same with Glenn. JMO.

Teams can't make them better offers unless we don't sign them in the next 8 weeks

I am hoping with the commitment to Whaley and the post season talk this week that we will finally be acquiring and dealing with players in a Steeleresque manner. Draft well, don't pay older players top dollar, sign your own at or a little below market and fill in role players with 2nd tier fa's. I think Whaley/OBD's valuations of our players hasn't been bad considering the guys who have gone elsewhere really haven't played up to their contracts. It may take a couple years but hopefully we will stay that course for long term success.

I am more with Bandit and Badol on Incognito. I think the Bills are helped in getting him at a reasonable price by:

a) his age

b) his history (I reckon that over half the league probably doesn't even have his name on their FA board because of his past)

c) he seem the genuinely value the opportunity the Bills gave him.

I am more with Bandit and Badol on Incognito. I think the Bills are helped in getting him at a reasonable price by:

a) his age

b) his history (I reckon that over half the league probably doesn't even have his name on their FA board because of his past)

c) he seem the genuinely value the opportunity the Bills gave him.

d) the market value for 33 year old guards in the NFL. (Thought I would enhance your response...)

I saw somewhere on a link on TSW to one of the Bills fan/news sites that Incognito could get $8M per year?.............not on the open market he won't. :lol:

People aren't going to pay an OG in his 30's that kind of $.

Evan Mathis found that out last summer........he asked to be cut in hopes of making more money than his $5M and got a haircut instead.

I was thinking a $4-$5M deal over 3-4 seasons.......with likelihood being that he only plays 2-3 of those seasons.

Evan Mathis who was widely regarded as the best LG in the NFL in 2014 got 3.25 million on the open market in 2015 coming off an All-Pro Season at the age of 33. Great point on him getting less than he thought, #LostCash.

Cog is 33,coming off a Pro-Bowl caliber year and is not an All-Pro, how anyone could think he's getting 8 million a year is beyond me, the market for a guard at his age is not even 1/2 that. 4 million IMO is even high...

3 years 10 million with 4 guaranteed would be a win for Cog, anything more is a Levitre-Like deal for someone else and the Bills should let him walk, #BuyersRemorse.

If we could add Sanu, Harrison and Pace or Upshaw this offseason whilst being able to keep Glenn, Cog and extend Gilmore that would be one hell of an achievement. I would be back in kool aid drinking mode I think. I don't see them looking to FA for an ILB though... I think that will be where they go in round 1 of the draft.

Isn't ILB where Prston Brown played? You think a rookie can handle that? I don't think Brown regressed as much as people say. IMO the QBing of the D spread Brown too thin for a young guy with too much responsibility. It will be the same for a rookie? Probably too hard to do.

My guesses:

Glenn - 4 years, $38 million, with a 5th year option at $12 million ($25 million guaranteed)

Incognito - 2 years, $10 million, with a 3rd year option at $7 million ($8 million guaranteed)

Gilmore - not re-signed - paid huge contract in FA

I disagree with all 3.

Especially Gilmore leaving. Remember what Revis leaving Rex and the Jets did to them? That mistake won't be repeated.

I don't think Cordy Glenn's deal is going to be anywhere near that Trent Williams deal. He's not as good as Trent Williams. I think his contract will be something like Duane Brown's contract. $53Mil total, $9mil a year, $22 Guaranteed.

Good article providing decent insight into potential contract for Glenn. At the end of the day, signing Incognito is a must as well. As far as Gilmore is concerned, he's still under contract for another year. Even after that, they can slap the tag on him.

Good article providing decent insight into potential contract for Glenn. At the end of the day, signing Incognito is a must as well. As far as Gilmore is concerned, he's still under contract for another year. Even after that, they can slap the tag on him.

The issue with Gilmore is we can probably lower his hit for 2016 by renegotiating and extending now.

Evan Mathis who was widely regarded as the best LG in the NFL in 2014 got 3.25 million on the open market in 2015 coming off an All-Pro Season at the age of 33. Great point on him getting less than he thought, #LostCash.

Cog is 33,coming off a Pro-Bowl caliber year and is not an All-Pro, how anyone could think he's getting 8 million a year is beyond me, the market for a guard at his age is not even 1/2 that. 4 million IMO is even high...

3 years 10 million with 4 guaranteed would be a win for Cog, anything more is a Levitre-Like deal for someone else and the Bills should let him walk, #BuyersRemorse.

Mathis also came on the market after the initial FA period, when teams had less money to spend or had already made roster moves to bring in OL. His All Pro season was in 2013, also, although he did make the Pro Bowl in 2014.

Last year, 3 Gs in their 31/32 year old season signed new contracts before or during FA(all were re-signs/re-negotiations):

Marshall Yanda: 4 years, 32 mil, 8/yr, 56% GTD

Jahri Evans: 3 years, 18 mil, 6/yr, 50% GTD

Ben Grubbs: 2 years, 10 mil, 5/tr, 50% GTD

Yanda is widely regarded as one of the best Gs in football and has made multiple Pro Bowls and is a 2 time All Pro so he is in another tier altogether. Evans and Grubbs both renegotiated contracts against their previous deals as they were both under contract with years left so I think they are overpaid a tad each.

Now Richie will be 33 at the beginning of next year while these 3 are a bit younger. Mathis will be 35. I think Richie is looking at something like a 2-3 yr deal, roughly 4.5/yr, with 50% GTD, with the idea being they will cut him/restructure in the last year, trying to keep his cap numbers lower in years 1 and 2.

Edited by BrooklynBills