Please don't build a dome! (unless it's like Arizona's

I think Terry wants an open air stadium but is trying to figure out how that works financially (since a dome could theoretically be used for other purposes). I say theoretically because it's an open question how often there would be a need for an indoor facility seating 65,000+ in this region.

I also think that this is part of the reason we haven't heard much (the other being all the $$ that was just sunk into the Ralph).

There is a vast difference in costs between a roofed stadium and an open air one. So does that additional cost justify the potential returns you could get? Is it actually realistic to expect to host a SB here? What else could be hosted in the roofed stadium that could not be hosted in the existing Sabres arena?

All those factors need to be considered. It's possible that you would never realistically recoup the several hundred million dollars extra for the roofed facility, making that option less of a "must."

RWS has a capacity over 70,000 now. All you would need to do is drop the new stadium's capacity to 64,000 or so and add a bunch of state of the art amenities and the demand would easily be there for tickets at higher prices.

It would be a hot ticket because it would be the new thing in town that you had to see. Then if you can field a winning team it would easily sustain itself. People sell out the stadium now. What happened in the 90's doesn't really matter. They are selling out in 2014 and 2015, when they haven't sniffed the playoffs in a generation!

I can guarantee one thing (Rex Ryan style): if the Bills make the playoffs in the 2016 season they WILL sell out any home playoff games. Even if it's cold outside!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is according to the Buffalo Enquirer (formerly known as the Buffalo News) so these numbers are most likely made up out of thin air.

Sabres season ticket: $1,146 to $4,688

Bills season ticket: $260 (upper deck) to $3,100 (club seat)

My point is that there's plenty of room to raise ticket prices and revenues. Now imagine a 716 style bar inside the new stadium for "overflow." I think Dallas does something similar.

You buy a (cheaper than inside the stadium) ticket to get into the restaurant/bar and watch the game on huge screens while you eat overpriced food and drink overpriced drinks from your comfy seat. Sort of like club seats for the common man.

Also, if it's downtown attach a Bills HOF and museum. It would also help the Bills official store get additional traffic.

Lots of $$ can be made with an open air stadium downtown.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Torn on this issue. I prefer to see games outside, but a dome would be better for the city and a retractable roof is likely to be cost prohibitive.

I say do nothing. Screw the league. the Ralph totally works for WNY. they can't even sell the suites they have at the Ralph... sure, now lets lets double the number and the price per suite. right. Pegs can make the "new stadium is irrelevant " argument for another 10 years, minimum..

I still think a serious retrofit of the Ralph could be a real option they are considering.

It has worked for Chicago and Green Bay.

But it would be an incredible undertaking that might not be worth it, given some of the issues with amenities and even plumbing that have been described.

If you essentially have to tear it down and rebuild it you probably aren't saving that much $$

Just because they had SuperBowls in those cities doesn't mean it was a great time for fans. Having said that, Minneapolis was fun but we did drink a lot.

Everybody who went to Minny said it was great. I listen to Tony Kornheiser and the DC people still talk about how great it was.

If I were king-

Retractable roof like AZ with the caveat established before it is built, that Bills games will be played open air, in the elements the way god intended. That will eliminate the issue over why the Bills had the roof open for Miami one week in December, and then had it closed the following week for Green Bay. The roof will only be used to make the stadium more comfortable for tractor pulls, dog shows and Rolling Stones concerts. It would be good to be king...

This would be ideal!

This!!

I do not get to many games any more because of family/work responsibilities. When I could come (more 95-05 mainly) it was mostly December games. There is nothing better than bundling up and being outside in the winter hanging out with your friends. I mean, geez, is it really that hard to dress for December in Buffalo? Some people talk about it like its the South Pole

But when my boys get older you're damn right I'll be back. . And I do not want to take them to a dome. I want them bundled up like Eskimos throwing the football with fires and food cooking on all four sides of them just like we do now. And I want them to get to see the hang-dog expressions of the other team when we get up and the weather gets nasty. No one remembers how much fun that Miami game was when the blizzard rolled in and they just quit?

NO DOME.

You get it!

Everybody who went to Minny said it was great. I listen to Tony Kornheiser and the DC people still talk about how great it was.

We enjoyed the Minny SB a lot, but have to admit the setting was not as exotic as some other options. No hanging out at the pool in 9 degree weather. I've been back there in the summer and it's a great city. People celebrate the hell of of summer there, because they know what's coming!

I say do nothing. Screw the league. the Ralph totally works for WNY. they can't even sell the suites they have at the Ralph... sure, now lets lets double the number and the price per suite. right. Pegs can make the "new stadium is irrelevant " argument for another 10 years, minimum..

That's the most responsible choice, but if an NFL owner can get the public to finance/heavily subsidize a shiny, new, moneymaking stadium I can't help but think that's the way it's gonna go.

Pittsburgh should be the model for any new Bills stadium, IMO.

Good, basic, clean stadium that fits the identity of the team. Can you imagine a Steelers dome?

MAYBE you could lure a Super Bowl here, but I doubt it. Other than that, you would be taking away a big part of what makes Bills football great (when the team is winning).

We are about to start watching playoff games. There will be snow, crazy fans, wind. It adds to the ambiance of the games. A dark, sterile, ugly dome just cannot compete with a place like Gillette Stadium (I almost threw up when I typed that) in the snow.

Imagine a dome over Lambeau Field. It would be freaking sacrilegious! I say the same thing is true for a dome in Buffalo.

I do have ONE caveat. The Arizona dome is an AWESOME stadium. It is so bright with natural light due to its construction that it's almost like being outside. They even have a grass field that gets rolled outside into the sun between games (that wouldn't work here obviously).

Arizona NEEDED a dome because it's like 100 degrees there half the time. But overall, pro football should be played OUTSIDE in the elements. It's part of what makes this game great.

"Oh you must not be a season ticker holder! It's cold!"

Boo hoo.

It's cold in New England*.

It's cold in Cleveland.

It's cold in Chicago (the windy city)

It's REALLY cold in Green Bay. Dangerously so half the time.

It's cold in Pittsburgh.

It's cold in New Jersey.

It's cold in Philadelphia.

It's cold in Denver.

It's cold in Seattle.

It's cold in Baltimore.

It's cold in Cincinnati.

It's cold in Kansas City.

So are Bills fans softer than fans in those cities? Not at all. Just look at the Jets game! Bills fans sold out the stadium and went to watch the team go 8-8.

Imagine a world where the Bills are actually GOOD again! January. Snow falling. Home playoff game in the divisional round!

Now imagine a cold, sterile, dark, airplane hangar like half the NFL domes are.

No comparison.

Open air stadiums are cheaper and just plain better. The stadium sells out most years now as it is.

Lower the capacity a bit, add some new cool features, and field a winning team. There ALREADY is demand for Bills tickets now.

PLEASE NO DOME IN BUFFALO! (unless it's pretty much a copy of Arizona)

Do you have seasons, fun?

I would be really, really surprised if they didn't have a roof. The Bills need to sell more expense seats and in order to do so they need an environment that caters to the business community.

Yes.

Financially it's a very simple decision.

Tactically........getting out of the wind would help players be able to repeat the things that they can do in warmer climates.

Some people might consider that giving away an advantage but wind messes with everyone and thanks to advancements in cold weather gear and noise cancellation....... the cold and noise don't have the impact on visiting teams that it once did.

Seahawks stadium looks sick. I want ours to look much like that. Just looking at it I feel intimidated. Lmao

Agreed - big fan of the Seahawks stadium. I was out in Seattle a couple months ago and stayed down the street from that stadium. I truly appreciate how the stadium interfaces right into the city - into a very cool district - similar to Cobblstone/Chippewa area. The bars and restaurants were buzzing and CRAZY throughout the entire game day. I had a blast.

This is according to the Buffalo Enquirer (formerly known as the Buffalo News) so these numbers are most likely made up out of thin air.

Sabres season ticket: $1,146 to $4,688

Bills season ticket: $260 (upper deck) to $3,100 (club seat)

My point is that there's plenty of room to raise ticket prices and revenues. Now imagine a 716 style bar inside the new stadium for "overflow." I think Dallas does something similar.

You buy a (cheaper than inside the stadium) ticket to get into the restaurant/bar and watch the game on huge screens while you eat overpriced food and drink overpriced drinks from your comfy seat. Sort of like club seats for the common man.

Also, if it's downtown attach a Bills HOF and museum. It would also help the Bills official store get additional traffic.

Lots of $$ can be made with an open air stadium downtown.

A Bills HOF and Museum and you can also have a Buffalo historical museum there as well.

Agreed - big fan of the Seahawks stadium. I was out in Seattle a couple months ago and stayed down the street from that stadium. I truly appreciate how the stadium interfaces right into the city - into a very cool district - similar to Cobblstone/Chippewa area. The bars and restaurants were buzzing and CRAZY throughout the entire game day. I had a blast.

Yes it is. The Seahwaks stadium would fit perfectly in downtown Buffalo.

No doubt, as a fan, open air is definitely better. There really isn't much debate on this, at least Imo.

But as an investor, why would you build an open air stadium in the Buffalo area? Nobody is spending a billion dollars on a stadium simply to give the fans the best game day experience. They're doing it as an investment. The building would get so much more use with a roof and, as such, make you more money.

Thank you!

Sometime fans get loss in regards to what this is about...$$$.

IMO, use the Indy Dome as a model (cost effective) and partner it with a larger regional plan to make it attractive to the millions of visitors that past through to go view one of the wonders of the world 10-30 miles north of the city. Think something like, largest shopping mall in the state(tax exempt shopping) coupled w/ the family entertainment & live concerts given in the summer @ Canalside...in the winter those who like the cold stuff (count me out) can go to the events given currently and the other still can have an option, especially during X-Mas time... This would make the area a regional tourism draw and centralize the main shopping & entertainment district for visitors as well as the locals.

Anyone find it interesting that the Vikings had a better year this year in the outdoor stadium compared to their years in the dome? Some towns like buffalo, Green Bay, etc. belong outsoors

Nothing to do with having a better defense and Peterson back on the team.......

No doubt, as a fan, open air is definitely better. There really isn't much debate on this, at least Imo.

But as an investor, why would you build an open air stadium in the Buffalo area? Nobody is spending a billion dollars on a stadium simply to give the fans the best game day experience. They're doing it as an investment. The building would get so much more use with a roof and, as such, make you more money.

This is the perfect post here. All fans agree with the first paragraph. Anyone who loves WNY should agree with the second.