Football Outsiders Names Roman Coordinator of the Year

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope we don't lead The League in rushing next year if it means we'll have the second fewest passing attempts like we did this year. Only the Vikes with 28.4 had fewer pass attempts per game than The Bills' 29.1. Roman should try to get 4 - 8 more passing attempts per game. That's about one or two more drives. Having a few less 3-and-Outs will be the key to that.

Hope we don't lead The League in rushing next year if it means we'll have the second fewest passing attempts like we did this year. Only the Vikes with 28.4 had fewer pass attempts per game than The Bills' 29.1. Roman should try to get 4 - 8 more passing attempts per game. That's about one or two more drives. Having a few less 3-and-Outs will be the key to that.

I have zero issue with this stat. We scored points, we moved the football and we didn't turn the ball over. The offense didn't fail us, the defense did. Had we had a top 5 defense, this offense would've been good enough to win games in the playoffs.

Vikes won their division and are hosting a playoff game.

Last year, it was Seattle who had the fewest pass attempts. They were one play away from winning the SB.

IMO it's not the offensive balance and philosophy with an inexperienced, developing QB and dominant running game that was the issue or will be an issue next year. It's that they didn't have the complementary defense needed to succeed with that type of offense/developing QB. Hopefully, that shores itself up next year. I expect that it will with some personnel tweaks and another year in the system.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I dunno...we have a very balanced attack, attempts per game isn't the greatest stat since it varies with number of plays...% run IMO is a better reflection, we are most comparable to Carolina surprisingly....if you insist on attempt per game our attack is most comparable to Seattle. I'm good with our balance.

http://fftoday.com/stats/15_run_pass_ratios.html

Good stuff!

Fans also need to consider that Roman didn't have an already established franchise QB to lead the offense. He was developing a very raw QB who was in his first year of starting. This is basically the exact same way the Baltimore Ravens with Cam Cameron as OC developed Joe Flacco.

(This year was exactly how EJ should have been developed from the get go...effing maroon with no QB coach that first year. Along with Hacker as OC predictably running right up the gut most of the time.)

The run game was fun to watch last year with McCoy and hopefully it will be again this year.

If only we could have had Roman and Schwartz in the same year.

We could have. Roman interviewed for our head coaching job and would have most likely retained Schwartz who was already under contract. We would be in the playoffs right now

I dunno...we have a very balanced attack, attempts per game isn't the greatest stat since it varies with number of plays...% run IMO is a better reflection, we are most comparable to Carolina surprisingly....if you insist on attempt per game our attack is most comparable to Seattle. I'm good with our balance.

http://fftoday.com/stats/15_run_pass_ratios.html

Bills running play stats (like Seattle ) are distorted because Taylor turns a lot of passing plays into runs.

We don't know whether it's the specific play or Taylor's choice, but, please stop throwing low % passes 20-30 yards downfield on 3rd down. Get the first down!

& cut the "trick" plays by 70%.

We don't know whether it's the specific play or Taylor's choice, but, please stop throwing low % passes 20-30 yards downfield on 3rd down. Get the first down!

agree on trick plays! What were they on those, oh-fer on the season?

Maybe the one at Tennessee worked with TT lining up a WR and hogan throwing him the pass in the Redzone. Still stupid with him banged up.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Vikes won their division and are hosting a playoff game.

Last year, it was Seattle who had the fewest pass attempts. They were one play away from winning the SB.

IMO it's not the offensive balance and philosophy with an inexperienced, developing QB and dominant running game that was the issue or will be an issue next year. It's that they didn't have the complementary defense needed to succeed with that type of offense/developing QB. Hopefully, that shores itself up next year. I expect that it will with some personnel tweaks and another year in the system.

Hell had they feed the Beast the ball instead of passing on the 1 yard line they're back to back Champs.

A major point of contention for me. I believe it was Tyrod on several occasions who bypassed easier completions or scrambles that could have kept the chains moving.