What will get you excited for next season?

Virgil

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Special Teams Coordinator

Draft best available LB/OL/DL in the 1st round

Draft Chad Kelly in the 2nd round (If he comes out. If not, then take best QB available)

Draft best safety/CB available in 3rd round

Draft Rashard Higgins - CSU WR - 4th Round

I would be overly ecstatic if this all happened.

Edited by DisplacedBillsFan

I would love to see the Bills draft either Reggie Ragland or A'Shawn Robinson in the first round. It's quite possible that both are gone by the time that they pick, but many many mock drafts have it as a possibility based on other teams needs. Both would be immediate starters for Buffalo. Robinson would be nasty lined up next to Dareus. Clearly the Bills will need to address the eventual replacement to Mario through free agency or the draft. Ragland is a beast at linebacker and would be an immediate upgrade for the team as well. While they may have a need at safety, I don't see a prospect at that position worthy of a first round pick.

Oh, Gosh. You know, I read this, and my first thought was "the Ryan twins go tandem skydiving and they both plough it, that would get me excited for next season". Then I thought "Oh, no, that's mean. I must be a bad person to be so mean. OK, how about they're both in a wreck driving Rex big truck to the stadium after an all night reminisce session and they have to spend 2 years in rehabilitative care and can't coach but they eventually make a full recovery and Rex is assigned to a ward where the nurses wear sandals and have pretty feet and Rob's rehab involves lots of beer drinking? Yeah, that's effective but not too terribly mean, OK, that would get me excited. Anthony Lynn as HC maybe?.". Then I thought "but Oh no, who would that leave in charge of the D would it be Dennis Thurman? Oh, no, Oh no. I can't get excited about that. OK, what could happen there, house fire, fall into the tiger pit at the zoo, Vontaze Burfict hit, choke on a steak bone?"

Then I realized all my attempts to become excited about the Bills involved death or injury to our coaching staff and all at once I became very sad.

It's hard to be Hopeful when you're a Bills fan

Oh, Gosh. You know, I read this, and my first thought was "the Ryan twins go tandem skydiving and they both plough it, that would get me excited for next season". Then I thought "Oh, no, that's mean. I must be a bad person to be so mean. OK, how about they're both in a wreck driving Rex big truck to the stadium after an all night reminisce session and they have to spend 2 years in rehabilitative care and can't coach but they eventually make a full recovery and Rex is assigned to a ward where the nurses wear sandals and have pretty feet and Rob's rehab involves lots of beer drinking? Yeah, that's effective but not too terribly mean, OK, that would get me excited. Anthony Lynn as HC maybe?.". Then I thought "but Oh no, who would that leave in charge of the D would it be Dennis Thurman? Oh, no, Oh no. I can't get excited about that. OK, what could happen there, house fire, fall into the tiger pit at the zoo, Vontaze Burfict hit, choke on a steak bone?"

Then I realized all my attempts to become excited about the Bills involved death or injury to our coaching staff and all at once I became very sad.

Bravo! Bravo!

"I laughed, I cried, I convulsed" -NY Times

"This post elevated me to a level of depression I hadn't reached since I drank that bottle of absinthe alone on my roof!" -Wall Street Journal

Nothing at all. There isnt one thing this team will do that will excite me anymore until we win some freakin games and get into the post season.

Bravo! Bravo!

"I laughed, I cried, I convulsed" -NY Times

"This post elevated me to a level of depression I hadn't reached since I drank that bottle of absinthe alone on my roof!" -Wall Street Journal

Oh my that was funny! Bravo Zulu

I hadn't heard that before.

What was the bottle of absinthe doing alone on the WSJ's roof, and if it was alone, how could he drink it?

Edit: pleased to amuse

Edited by Hopeful

one day.. as we're laying motionless in our death beds.. staring at the ceiling.. barely breathing.. not comprehending what day it is.. not recognizing our red and blue clad visitors. we'll hear something that pulls us back from the abyss.. excited voices.. speaking the words "can't believe it".. and "Super Bowl".. and "Buffalo Bills" .. and we'll remember the years and years of waiting and hoping.. and tears of joy will begin to spring from our old, dry eyes.. until we hear "damn these Bills", and the sound of something breaking.. and we'll take our last breaths and die.

:thumbsup:

Edited by BackInDaDay

If this new owner has an extended conversation with someone that actually knows how to build a winning franchise like Ozzie Newsome, Ravens. John Schneider, Seahawks. Ted Thompson, Packers. Steve Keim Cardinals.

Then hires one of those men as team president of football operations for the Bills to oversee the football side. Russ Brandon stays CEO-managing partner of the business side. Doug Whaley answers to the new president and the Pegula's worry about building a new stadium and marketing.

The new president fires the current coaching staff and hires anyone other than a Ryan to be HC. Then makes the appropriate changes to the scouting dept so the team no longer needs to pay high priced free agents to try and build a winning team and instead finds the top talented players in the draft.

If this new owner has an extended conversation with someone that actually knows how to build a winning franchise like Ozzie Newsome, Ravens. John Schneider, Seahawks. Ted Thompson, Packers. Steve Keim Cardinals.

Then hires one of those men as team president of football operations for the Bills to oversee the football side. Russ Brandon stays CEO-managing partner of the business side. Doug Whaley answers to the new president and the Pegula's worry about building a new stadium and marketing.

The new president fires the current coaching staff and hires anyone other than a Ryan to be HC. Then makes the appropriate changes to the scouting dept so the team no longer needs to pay high priced free agents to try and build a winning team and instead finds the top talented players in the draft.

I don't think the team needs to pay high priced free agents to try to build a winning team - eventually. That's the problem with the draft when you're building up. You only get 7 picks, the later rounds if they make it may take a few years to develop. And of course, overall in the NFL, something like 30-50% of Rds 1,2,3 become servicable NFL players or better, late rounds it's more like 20% and UFA less.

What last spring's FA push was all about, was team management and coaches who thought we had the D to make a push last season, but the O needed more help than we could find in 1 year. So we went after Instant Improvement on offense by adding QB, WR, TE, RB. Note that we also drafted 3 of those 4 positions, getting an instant starter in the RB and 2 guys still on the team but need work for the others. It also wouldn't surprise me if Tony Steward, Randall Johnson, and AJ Tarpley all take a step as LB next year too. (wouldn't surprise me if they flame out either -see stats above).

The same will be true this year. Due to that ugly little salary cap thing, we are going to have to make some cuts that will create more holes than we can fill through the draft. So we will need to be clever about finding talent on the cut pile and the lower-tier UFA this year.

Once a team has a "name" and a stable of quality players, then the game is to trade them for picks once they have established themselves and just before they decline, replacing them with drafted talent that's been developing.

The scouting department had a lot of turnover during Nix tenure and more during Whaley. Same with pro personnel. I think there is accountability now, as opposed to it being an "old boys club" run as a remote control retirement business by Modrak and it would be a mistake to gut it. Though I would like to feel they're looking for a younger version of Whaley with an eye for OL talent.

I agree with you on not wanting Ryan here, but don't agree on "anyone other than Ryan". Look around the league, we could do worse and we have. The challenge is to do BETTER.

Pretty sure he doesn't have much to do with the Bills already.

Thought he said he was calling the plays on D on game day. You know, the ones players complain are getting in late.

I don't think the team needs to pay high priced free agents to try to build a winning team - eventually. That's the problem with the draft when you're building up. You only get 7 picks, the later rounds if they make it may take a few years to develop. And of course, overall in the NFL, something like 30-50% of Rds 1,2,3 become servicable NFL players or better, late rounds it's more like 20% and UFA less.

What last spring's FA push was all about, was team management and coaches who thought we had the D to make a push last season, but the O needed more help than we could find in 1 year. So we went after Instant Improvement on offense by adding QB, WR, TE, RB. Note that we also drafted 3 of those 4 positions, getting an instant starter in the RB and 2 guys still on the team but need work for the others. It also wouldn't surprise me if Tony Steward, Randall Johnson, and AJ Tarpley all take a step as LB next year too. (wouldn't surprise me if they flame out either -see stats above).

The same will be true this year. Due to that ugly little salary cap thing, we are going to have to make some cuts that will create more holes than we can fill through the draft. So we will need to be clever about finding talent on the cut pile and the lower-tier UFA this year.

Once a team has a "name" and a stable of quality players, then the game is to trade them for picks once they have established themselves and just before they decline, replacing them with drafted talent that's been developing.

The scouting department had a lot of turnover during Nix tenure and more during Whaley. Same with pro personnel. I think there is accountability now, as opposed to it being an "old boys club" run as a remote control retirement business by Modrak and it would be a mistake to gut it. Though I would like to feel they're looking for a younger version of Whaley with an eye for OL talent.

I agree with you on not wanting Ryan here, but don't agree on "anyone other than Ryan". Look around the league, we could do worse and we have. The challenge is to do BETTER.

Thought he said he was calling the plays on D on game day. You know, the ones players complain are getting in late.

The way I look at things the team couldn't find a pass rushing DE in the draft so they chased and caught Mario Williams for 100 million. They couldn't find a TE that could be both a decent pass catcher and blocker in the draft they overpay for TE Charles Clay. Granted LeSean McCoy is a top tier RB, but again they overpaid for him. The Bills had a star at RB in Marshawn Lynch and couldn't figure out how best to use him so a 1st rounder gets traded for a 4th round pick.

The team builds a top 4-3 defensive line and filled it with four elite 4-3 pass rushers only to hire a coach who only knows how to run his style of 3-4 scheme. So, now the team only has one of those four useful to run his 3-4.

Its like nobody really knows what they are doing in the FO, and they just keep lunging at different things hoping it all works out.

I'll get excited for that week 1 tailgate and hopefully beautiful weather. Also, I have no reason to think this 8-8 squad can't get to 10-6 and make the playoffs. There was certainly discouragement this year, but maybe our hopes were a little high for an entirely new system, new coaches, new quarterback... basically all the main pieces of the team's leadership structure were different. Historically speaking when a new coach comes in, I don't know that 8-8 is such a terrible result. It just stings more because we're all like come ON and just get back to the playoffs already. I'll try to be patient and give Rex at least through next year. But if we don't take a step forward in year 2, obviously that's a huge flag.

The way I look at things the team couldn't find a pass rushing DE in the draft so they chased and caught Mario Williams for 100 million. They couldn't find a TE that could be both a decent pass catcher and blocker in the draft they overpay for TE Charles Clay. Granted LeSean McCoy is a top tier RB, but again they overpaid for him. The Bills had a star at RB in Marshawn Lynch and couldn't figure out how best to use him so a 1st rounder gets traded for a 4th round pick.

The team builds a top 4-3 defensive line and filled it with four elite 4-3 pass rushers only to hire a coach who only knows how to run his style of 3-4 scheme. So, now the team only has one of those four useful to run his 3-4.

Its like nobody really knows what they are doing in the FO, and they just keep lunging at different things hoping it all works out.

I think the place where I differ with you is, the above seems to be written looking at the Bills FO as a monolithic unchanging entity.

I don't see it that way. I see the circumstances as different, and I see the acquisitions as purposeful in the context of when they're made. But that could be me.

It was a mistake to "fall" for Rex and his "4th is a disappointment for this D" "I'm a football guy, not a scheme guy" talk because in retrospect, you're absolutely correct, but they did fall.

Part of what you're describing as "lunging" is the constant change in coaches (and GMs) that some fans clamor for.

It will always be necessary to overpay for top FA or for that matter, to retain our drafted and home-developed talent once their initial contracts are done.

For me, a return to a Schwartz type defense that produces results like it did last year. That is all. I don't see it happening because Ryan is coach. If he didn't see the problem with this team by the middle of this season, he never will. It's up to him to adjust, not the players.

BTW, I think it's hilarious fans and other sports pundits think Mario Williams is the problem with the defense and should be released. If people think he sabotaged the pass rush, then Darius and Hughes need to be cut as well because neither produced any pressure on QB's whatsoever.

I was with you until you mentioned hughes. I thought he ws very disruptive. Just didnt show on the stat sheet

Just getting everyone back healthy works for me.

A full recovery by Easley might be a stretch

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/5843/marcus-easley

Definitely gonna be a big stretch. He will probably never fully recover

Mario made himself the lightning rod for disaffection with his open comments to reporters. But I do think it's promising that the Bills aren't being reactive with the scissors, instead saying they're going to review film before making any decisions.

They said they were gonna review film? How about review the righr film... the flippin film of when our d was good. Same exact players sans darby and add aaron williams and b spikes if you want... the point is its not one freaking player. Its the scheme. Mario was our best defensive player last year and the year before that. I find it hilarious that a coach with a "defensive" eye cant see that.

Tyrod and Sammy healthy for all 16 games next year.When they are on the same same it's magic.

I plan on Sammy going for 1500 next year... he has to

The only, only thing that will get me excited for next season is they retool the entire defense for Rex's scheme. That means cuts, trades, draft pick and free agents, whichever way they need to to get the right front seven and safeties.

I don't want any excuses left on the table. I want to see the mastermind get everything he needs so that he either delivers or is a clear cut termination.

That can include cutting all the defensive Williams, trading Dareus, dropping Nigel and Preston...I don't care. But next year needs to be a playoff or get out kinda year...

Combine that with another Harvin sort of WR and lets go.

You ate going all out. ... i like it

ImperfectImpoliteIsopod.gif

Just because huh

I would love to see the Bills draft either Reggie Ragland or A'Shawn Robinson in the first round. It's quite possible that both are gone by the time that they pick, but many many mock drafts have it as a possibility based on other teams needs. Both would be immediate starters for Buffalo. Robinson would be nasty lined up next to Dareus. Clearly the Bills will need to address the eventual replacement to Mario through free agency or the draft. Ragland is a beast at linebacker and would be an immediate upgrade for the team as well. While they may have a need at safety, I don't see a prospect at that position worthy of a first round pick.

In rexs 34 couldnt hughes almost replace bradham and this a shawn guy or even dareus replace mario?