Robert Woods

I like and support Robert Woods as our #2.

But I also wouldn't be opposed to an even better #2.

Woods is a fantastic WR to have on a team, solid route runner, strong hands, hell of a blocker and competitor. He's not a highlight guy, but he is a productive guy, and every team needs a few of those to round out an offense.

He'll be missed when he takes a larger contract elsewhere.

I'm not sure he'll be gone next year. He's been one of my favorites since he got drafted and think the Bills might be able to keep him around. I'm sure they'll try. It's a long shot, sure, but if he has a solid year with Taylor and the Bills get into the playoffs I could easily see him wanting to stay in Buffalo.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea. But no one will sign him for big bucks to be their #1 WR.

Agreed, but he did seem an afterthought for TT mostly. And Whaley made his snarky comment.

Many fans disparage him too.

I don't think it would be money as it might be opportunity.

heck Pats paid Hogan! Anything is possible

will he want to though?

Everything I've seen and heard points towards Woods liking Buffalo a great deal. He'll want to get paid though, as he should, and chances are slim the Bills will be the biggest offer considering they'll need to commit more money to the WR position when Sammy's second contract comes up. Still, if the Bills make the playoffs this year and if Taylor takes the step we all hope he does, I can see Woods wanting to stay to be a part of the nucleus on a contender.

I'm hoping that's how it works out because the guy is a perfect fit for this offense and I love how hard he plays.

Robert Woods on USC graduation: "It's worth it"
After returning to the University of Southern California for the last three offseasons to complete his degree, Buffalo Bills wide receiver Robert Woods has officially graduated. His story, one that is filled with both adversity and triumph, can be viewed as a source of inspiration for athletes today.

His production to date doesn't scream "top FA." I'd say there's a good chance he returns.

Top FA no, but some team will offer him more money based on his production than we will offer, due to our money being tied up elsewhere. See Hogan, for example.

Top FA no, but some team will offer him more money based on his production than we will offer, due to our money being tied up elsewhere. See Hogan, for example.

I agree with this. Someone will overpay, especially if he has a lights out season. But if he has one of those, it'll mean the Bills had a pretty good year themselves so I'll take it.

IMHO the Cheaters overpaid for Hogan. But I guess if $4M/year is now the going rate for a guy averaging (I'll ignore 2012 and 2013) 39 catches for 438 yards and 3 TDs a season...

His production to date doesn't scream "top FA." I'd say there's a good chance he returns.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2016/5/10/11646004/robert-woods-contract-projection-marvin-jones-mohamed-sanu-comparison?utm_campaign=buffalorumblings&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

#1 WRs don't usually hit FA, but teams are wiling to pay a lot for #2s.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Robert Woods is about as vanilla a player as there is in the NFL. He does a couple of things well, but he doesn't scare anyone. If the Bills let him walk, I'd be fine with that. He's simply not very good, as anyone who is not a Bills homer can easily suss out. He's definitely a disappointment given where he was drafted. To be fair to the Bills, though, it was a TERRIBLE draft for WRs (and a terrible draft overall). The only good WR from that draft is first rounder DeAndre Hopkins. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NFL_draft

Robert Woods is about as vanilla a player as there is in the NFL. He does a couple of things well, but he doesn't scare anyone. If the Bills let him walk, I'd be fine with that. He's simply not very good, as anyone who is not a Bills homer can easily suss out. He's definitely a disappointment given where he was drafted. To be fair to the Bills, though, it was a TERRIBLE draft for WRs (and a terrible draft overall). The only good WR from that draft is first rounder DeAndre Hopkins. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NFL_draft

He might be the best blocking WR in the NFL. Not saying you pay a premium for that, but still - on a running team, it's important.

He might be the best blocking WR in the NFL. Not saying you pay a premium for that, but still - on a running team, it's important.

WR blocking is really overrated, I think. Yeah, it's nice, but if I wanted a good blocker on the edge I'd line up Kyle Brady-types out there. Jobs #1, #2, and #3 for a WR is to beat CBs, catch the ball, and score. Randy Moss wasn't a good blocker, but for him it was irrelevant.

Woods is actually quite good. Is he a number 1? No. Is he a number 2 with a competent QB and a true number 1 across from him? Maybe we'll find out this year. Woods runs great routes (perhaps the best on the team), he's arguably one of the best blocking WRs in the game and one of the most physical players. He's faster than you think and has good hands.

Saying he isn't very good is just not an accurate description of his skills. Is he worth the Bills overpaying to keep? Probably not. But that doesn't mean he's not talented.

Woods is actually quite good. Is he a number 1? No. Is he a number 2 with a competent QB and a true number 1 across from him? Maybe we'll find out this year. Woods runs great routes (perhaps the best on the team), he's arguably one of the best blocking WRs in the game and one of the most physical players. He's faster than you think and has good hands.

Saying he isn't very good is just not an accurate description of his skills. Is he worth the Bills overpaying to keep? Probably not. But that doesn't mean he's not talented.

No, he's not "quite good." My god -- where is this coming from? He's a dime-a-dozen 2A receiver who doesn't scare CBs because he isn't fast (obvious from watching him play), isn't big and strong, and isn't able to break tackles or elude defenders and take it to the house. He can run routes well and he usually catches the ball. That's nice, but that's about it (and as I said above, I don't really care about a receiver's blocking skills -- if that's his calling card, that's a problem). The last few decades have seen tons of these guys, and no one remembers most of them. He's this guy all over again, basically: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/ShawBo00.htm . His ceiling is Billy Brooks, but he's got a long way to go before he reaches that level. Brooks was a pretty decent receiver who had the same skill set and same limitations as Woods. Maybe Woods catches lighting in a bottle and produces an anomalous season or two like Quinn Early in 1995 with NO, but I wouldn't be bet on it.

Re: speed -- http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1544509-robert-woods-combine-evaluating-rising-draft-stock-for-usc-wr .

Edited by dave mcbride

No, he's not "quite good." My god -- where is this coming from? He's a dime-a-dozen 2A receiver who doesn't scare CBs because he isn't fast (obvious from watching him play), isn't big and strong, and isn't able to break tackles or elude defenders and take it to the house. He can run routes well and he usually catches the ball. That's nice, but that's about it (and as I said above, I don't really care about a receiver's blocking skills -- if that's his calling card, that's a problem). The last few decades have seen tons of these guys, and no one remembers most of them. He's this guy all over again, basically: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/ShawBo00.htm . His ceiling is Billy Brooks, but he's got a long way to go before he reaches that level. Brooks was a pretty decent receiver who had the same skill set and same limitations as Woods.

Re: speed -- http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1544509-robert-woods-combine-evaluating-rising-draft-stock-for-usc-wr .

Disagree. :beer: We'll see this year.

I hope you realize that I do hope that you prove to be right on this.

I absolutely realize that. :)

And I hope you realize I'm not arguing he's a number 1 WR or that the Bills should overpay to keep him. I think he can be a solid #2 in the right system (which might be Roman's to be honest) and he could be a great slot guy on a loaded team.