Bills Plan to keep 3 kickers next year

jumbalaya

Actually I do think all this talk (not that I'm in disagreement mind you) about we need to draft a QB of the future and also bring in an experienced vet backup likely could mean the end of Carpenter. If you draft anyone higher than the 3rd round, (maybe even the 4th) if you were to cut him at the end of Training camp with plans to move him to the PS, would be a very good chance someone else claims him. So you'd need to keep him active which means 3 roster spots for QB. In doing that can't see anyway we could afford the extra spot for Gay. So would need to find a new picker whom can also kickoff. Even without carrying theee QB's a good chance Carp is gone, but the QB moves could seal it for him.

I have just said in the shoutbox... I am watching the Cardinals game and the Cardinals kicker has now missed 5 extra points this season - Carpenter has missed 6. Yet the Card kicker has missed just 3 FGs... Carpenter just 4. What is it about the extra point (which is still a short field goal in the context of some FG attempts) that is in kickers' minds?

Actually, I would contend that 23-27 (~85%) is mediocre at best these days. Granted, it depends on distance, but I'd say the benchmark these days is 90%. Anything less than that, & your job is in jeopardy. I'm not advocating cutting him outright w/o competition, but given that he also doesn't kickoff, they definitely need to bring in someone that can/should take his job away. I suppose there's also hope that Gay can improve his accuracy/consistency to the point where he might be a viable option for all kicking duties as well.

Actually, I would contend that 23-27 (~85%) is mediocre at best these days. Granted, it depends on distance, but I'd say the benchmark these days is 90%. Anything less than that, & your job is in jeopardy. I'm not advocating cutting him outright w/o competition, but given that he also doesn't kickoff, they definitely need to bring in someone that can/should take his job away. I suppose there's also hope that Gay can improve his accuracy/consistency to the point where he might be a viable option for all kicking duties as well.

One of his misses was a long try early in the season - at Miami I think.... 54/55 yards.... that isn't a gimme. 2 of the other 3 FG misses hit the upright. His field goal kicking has been generally decent. Competition will be brought in and Carpenter's contract probably goes against him as well for a team tight to the cap. They might well draft one in the 6th or 7th round.

Edited by GunnerBill

I have defended Carpenter in previous threads, but I think with the season over with, it is time to bring in some competition for this spot.

If the 'best available kicker' is still around in the 6th, I would not mind spending a pick to improve that position. I despise everything about Belichick, but he is right in putting a lot of importance on this position.

How many kickers are above 90%? If that's the benchmark, how many teams have that going their way?

I just looked it up. 7 teams are above 90% on field goals. I wouldn't consider that a league wide benchmark.

Edited by MarkAF43

I have just said in the shoutbox... I am watching the Cardinals game and the Cardinals kicker has now missed 5 extra points this season - Carpenter has missed 6. Yet the Card kicker has missed just 3 FGs... Carpenter just 4. What is it about the extra point (which is still a short field goal in the context of some FG attempts) that is in kickers' minds?

Letting their emotions getting the best of them? Maybe some are frustrated that the NFL voted to make their job harder? PAT's were an automatic, not so much anymore.

Ready for this, praise for Dan Fouts....

He was right when he said Buffalo has the perfect offense for goal line...if we converted 51% of the times out of a 100 tries...that's 2 more points than 100% of extra points.

That being said I thought they should have gone for 2 on that side of the field.