The Doug Whaley positives are taking huge hits.

FireChan

As we continue on the RR path of total dismantling, the "good" picks of DW are dropping like flies.

From the 2013 draft, it looks like we'll have 1 starter directly from it. McCoy, who is a solid starter. However, considering his massive contract, he isn't as good as a productive draft pick. Notable shout out to Nickell Robey, who after a promising rookie campaign has been weak as well.

From the 2014 draft, it looks like again we'll have 1 solid starter from it as well. He cost us a bunch of other picks, so again, not fantastic, but he does appear to have been worth it. PB is now weak. Seantrel's career is in jeopardy. Cyril is invisible. Ross is productive on another roster.

And the 2015 draft. Darby was a great pick. Karlos has had great value, but his concussions are a long-term concern. And everyone else is too soon to say.

So over 3 drafts, we have 4 good players. All other promising prospects have either busted or are still unproductive and unsafe. And this is the guy whose job is safe?

Even his "heist" of Hughes is lessened by us signing him to a lucrative long-term deal and his production being hampered. Did we really pay him all that money for ~5 sacks and 2 pass breakups? Not a net negative looking at the whole body of work, but it's no longer a slam dunk.

Sorta sad how things change.

Edited by FireChan

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree.

I think that Whaley has done as good as 75% of NFL GMs at finding talent for this team. Other teams don't nail the draft either.

Hard to hold EJ against him given how desperate the team was for a QB. They knew it was a weak draft (Buddy Nix was secretly recorded saying so) but they had to take a shot.

The irony now is that the GM now needs to work closely with the coaching staff to ensure he gets a contract extension and survives at OBD. How they go about doing this will be interesting to watch, but previous results with the personnel group have been mediocre at best.

Also, they won't have the UFA dollars to shore up weak spots in the roster this season. This year it's on the personnel group to prove their mettle on draft day and fill in with some lower cost high return UFAs.

Edited by BillsVet

I agree about DW's drafting. I have a hard time giving him much credit for Watkins since he gave up a 1st round pick and a fourth to move up to draft him.

The CK pick has really hurt us. That was a strong draft, and it was a position of need, and now CK can't even beat out Mills. It also has hurt that Richardson and Miller have not played well at RG.

I think the Darby pick saved Whaley because his drafting track record is otherwise quit poor.

I disagree.

I think that Whaley has done as good as 75% of NFL GMs at finding talent for this team. Other teams don't nail the draft either.

Hard to hold EJ against him given how desperate the team was for a QB. They knew it was a weak draft (Buddy Nix was secretly recorded saying so) but they had to take a shot.

I realize the draft is a crapshoot, but 1.3 players per draft isn't good. Other teams can and have done much better.

Also, I hold EJ against Whaley because he "had to take a shot" because of his own doing. If we cut all of our LB's and draft an LB bust, I will hold that against him as well.

2013 was the transition year. DW brought in Monos and Fisher shortly after. It's still way too premature to judge him.

That said, PB is in year 2, but yr 1 in Ryan's D. CK is 22, way too soon to call him a bust. Henderson IS an R7 starter. Johnson a good ST r7 pick. Cockrell might still be here if he wasn't injured through most of TC. Richardson an r5 pick, and you expect what?

This year, Darby, miller, and Karlos and that's bad? Sheesh!

2013 was the transition year. DW brought in Monos and Fisher shortly after. It's still way too premature to judge him.

That said, PB is in year 2, but yr 1 in Ryan's D. CK is 22, way too soon to call him a bust. Henderson IS an R7 starter. Johnson a good ST r7 pick. Cockrell might still be here if he wasn't injured through most of TC. Richardson an r5 pick, and you expect what?

Miller sorta stinks. It's easy to be considered a good GM when you never expect any late round picks to pan out, bad starters are considered good, bad years get thrown out even though you were the one selecting all the players, and your busts are hand-waved as picks you were "forced" to make.

Just like Rex is a great defensive mind, he was just forced to run a bad system! :doh:

Edited by FireChan

The title is a bit misleading

There is nothing wrong with Whaley's drafting....he has brought in talented players and they have shown that

When they get signed and go onto the field under coaches and play.....Whaley does not control that

Regarding Miller.....Rookie O linemen often do not play well.......I cant wait to see what he looks like in his 2nd year.

Miller is a rookie starter picked in R3. They obviously think enough of him to start over Urbik. I doubt Whaley is forcing them to do so.

Three starters from 2014 and two from 2015 without an r1 pick. Once again, sheesh!

I realize the draft is a crapshoot, but 1.3 players per draft isn't good. Other teams can and have done much better.

Miller sorta stinks. It's easy to be considered a good GM when you never expect any late round picks to pan out, bad starters are considered good, bad years get thrown out even though you were the one selecting all the players, and your busts are hand-waved as picks you were "forced" to make.

Just like Rex is a great defensive mind, he was just forced to run a bad system! :doh:

Also, I hold EJ against Whaley because he "had to take a shot" because of his own doing. If we cut all of our LB's and draft an LB bust, I will hold that against him as well.

So now the agenda comes out...

To build a championship caliber team, one doesn't want 1.3 guys per draft who can be serviceable and occupy a spot in your lineup. One needs to be hitting home-runs. Guys who will have Hall-of-Fame (or close) caliber careers. The "he's a 'good pick' because he played >50% of the snaps" grading system is too low of a bar.

Miller is a rookie starter picked in R3. They obviously think enough of him to start over Urbik. I doubt Whaley is forcing them to do so.

Three starters from 2014 and two from 2015 without an r1 pick. Once again, sheesh!

People with agendas will always look for every possible way to further their agenda even if it means bending the truth like a pretzel

So now the agenda comes out...

People with agendas will always look for every possible way to further their agenda even if it means bending the truth like a pretzel

What agenda are you referring to, pray tell?

To build a championship caliber team, one doesn't want 1.3 guys per draft who can be serviceable and occupy a spot in your lineup. One needs to be hitting home-runs. Guys who will have Hall-of-Fame (or close) caliber careers. The "he's a 'good pick' because he played >50% of the snaps" grading system is too low of a bar.

I don't know if you're being serious or not. I would say having late round picks like 5-7th rounders start is good, mainly because they are probably decent depth. But Seantrel looks like his career may be over, so that pick is a loss.

Henderson may be the next Terrence Pennington then, wow. Brandon Spoon not only started but he made plays, 2 defensive TDs IIRC, great pick!.

Too soon.

The EJ pick was of desperation. Sure he owns it but his hand was forced when Nix pissed off Fitz and the fanbase was screaming about the QB anyway.

But always always factor in the coaching turnover when evaluating draftees.

Too soon.

The EJ pick was of desperation. Sure he owns it but his hand was forced when Nix pissed off Fitz and the fanbase was screaming about the QB anyway.

But always always factor in the coaching turnover when evaluating draftees.

I do not understand why Whaley has to own the EJ pick when the outgoing GM picked him